Can Kodi run headless (as a music server) on Ubuntu server? Documentation?
(2018-12-13, 23:14)three_jeeps Wrote: I am trying to sift through the Kodi doc to determine if it fits my needs but having trouble answering the questions....

Can Kodi run as a headless music server/player running on Ubuntu server?

What capability I want to achieve:
- music repository stored locally on the ubuntu server (option to store music on NAS box, or another PC )
- Clients that can create/manage play lists, control the player, etc. ( clients run on: iphone/ipad, linux, osx, and windows machines)
- Play audio through the audio out port of the ubuntu server (optional to BT transmitter, optional stream to other devices)

Can the above be accomplished with Kodi and/or addins?  
Where are docs that discuss how to do this?
Thanks
j

Late response for ppl landing here. It's doable. I've been running kodi headless as a music server in a small single-board-computer for 5 years in my home office, paired with some great KEF powered speakers - outstanding audiophile-level audio quality.

If you really want to run ubuntu you probably want a small form factor mini pc (x86) like an Intel NUC. But if you want audiophile-quality audio output, the server type doesn't matter almost at all (you just need a tiny sliver of compute power for music-only server) and a NUC dedicated to only a music server is kind of a waste of energy and silicon (you can save some trees!), and without a quality audio card it won't sound any better than a $5 raspberry zero.
My current build (running strong for almost  2-3 years now) is based on a Raspberry Pi3b+ with a HiFiberry Pro "hat" all nicely put together in a metallic case. I run a raspbian (debian) derivative called OSMC that is a full linux distro 'tuned' for kodi and is very well maintained, extremely stable, and it supports hifiberry cards (and a bunch of other audio cards for Pi out there) out of the box.

Kodi consumes 5% of the Pi CPU will idle and 15-20% when busy  playing 24-bit 192Khz flacs through the audio card coming from an NFS server in my home network. So I run a bunch of other things in the Pi in additio to kodi, including a dockerized version of HomeAssistant (home automation tool, another piece of fine software). This requires some tuning but once done it's just outstanding.

To control kodi-headless I use an android client (the official one is very good, and then Yatse is well known and is just great if you prefer a tweakable UI), and also the kodi's web interface.

I don't stream from Kodi to dlna clients but I know it's doable, I've read about multi-room type builds that use this.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can Kodi run headless (as a music server) on Ubuntu server? Documentation? - by htpcero - 2019-08-22, 05:36
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can Kodi run headless (as a music server) on Ubuntu server? Documentation?0