Would a Raspberry PI be worth it for just handling MySQL?
Hi everyone.

I recently migrated my Kodi data to the MySQL server that comes with the Western Digital My Cloud EX4. While it works ok, it has dramatically slowed down the startup of my Kodi clients (2 Fire Sticks and 1 Fire TV 4K), but the benefits of the centralized database are too great to ignore (continue watching from room to room, a single location to update when changes are made as opposed to updating each client individually). I've read up on optimizing MySQL, but it seems that I really can't perform any of the optimizations on the copy of MySQL that ships with the EX4. Apparently it doesn't support using a my.cnf file and for some reason, InnoDB is not available. Considering the EX4 only has 512MB of RAM and a 2 GHz processor (I honestly haven't even been able to tell if it's a single or multi-core), I started looking for something that might be able to handle the database better. Since I can't seem to do much with the EX4 in terms of fine tuning performance, I wanted to think of a cheap alternative, just for running MySQL for Kodi, and I started looking into the PI as a possible reasonable solution. My question is, is this worth the hassle? Would I notice an increase in the responsiveness of the database compared to running MySQL on the EX4, especially since I would be able to fine-tune it, or will the change be barely noticeable (or not noticeable at all)? Has anyone else considered doing this? Is the PI even powerful enough to handle the database? Thanks in advance for any pointers or suggestions.

Messages In This Thread
Would a Raspberry PI be worth it for just handling MySQL? - by GeorgeT93 - 2018-12-30, 05:10
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Would a Raspberry PI be worth it for just handling MySQL?0