Important Windows Store v18 update resets my settings
I did like some others on here and took the UWP Windows Store installation off (just Right-Click the icon from the Start menu and select Uninstall) after making a copy of my Kodi settings.

I then downloaded v18 x64 to install it. I wanted to make a few notes about installing v18.

First, Windows did not want to install this app because it had an unknown publisher. I thought in the past that Kodi had a signature key with it.

Next, while installing, it defaulted to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi" as the install path. I just accepted like I probably did in the past, and that's when I saw the message that Kodi was already installed there. I browsed to the folder, and there it was! I don't know how old this was or if it was somehow left over from the UWP instance, so I manually edited the install path to correctly be "C:\Program Files\Kodi".

After Kodi v18 was installed, I did NOT elect to run Kodi. Instead, I wanted to copy over my Kodi settings. I also wanted to uninstall whatever version of Kodi was in the "Program Files (x86)" location. I went into "Settings > Apps & features" to remove the old Kodi install, but I could not find it. I mean, I just installed v18, and it wasn't there either! I was expecting to find 2 installs of Kodi. When I sorted my installed apps by date, the only thing I saw that was installed today was the Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable (x64). Just some weird stuff going on.

Since I was not able to remove the old Kodi from the list of installed apps, I went to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi" folder and executed the Uninstall.exe file located there. While it was uninstalling, it asked if I wanted to keep the "C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Kodi" files. I browsed there first to see what those were, and guess what? That location did not exist on my PC. I am currently logged in under my "jp2code" account, so I decided to look at that folder: "C:\Users\jp2code\AppData\Roaming\Kodi". It did not exist either. So I created it and copied my Kodi settings over and into it.

Now, the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi" is gone, but I still have the 64 bit folder "C:\Program Files\Kodi" available. In that folder, I also notice the same folder settings (addons, cache, media, system, and userdata). It could be that Kodi v18 no longer uses the AppData\Roaming folder that it used to - or perhaps adding the AppData\Roaming folder overrides the data in the Program Files location. I really don't know.

Anyway, perhaps some of the notes from my experience today can help those working on the project.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Windows Store v18 update resets my settings - by jp2code - 2019-01-31, 14:31
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows Store v18 update resets my settings0