Solved Kodi deleting or modifying previous entry when scanning in similar song
Well, it seems like I've played myself.

I had a whole response written out, then as I went back and tried to fill in info I noticed where I went wrong.

There are two issues from what I was seeing - the song whose previous entry was completely deleted and the song those previous entry was modified after the run.

Thanks to your help, you helped me understand the first issue. The record disappeared because I added a second song tagged exactly as the first.  It updated the previous entry to be the new location with 0 for rating and itimesplayed.
Note, in this case, despite it being a new song in a new location being found and the old song still in its old location, Kodi reused the previous idSong (I am looking at both the "bad" and "good" entries right now).

The second issue, turns out, is exactly like the first. My confusion was that I accidentally added same album again in a different location. When I was looking at the "bad" database, the 29045 entry only different in strPath.

Presumably over the years, whenever I've noticed userratings and itimesplayed disappear it was due to me adding the exact same song somehow (which is sort of how I stumbled into figuring out the seemingly duplicate song issue). This I only figured out in Dec '18 but I didn't know this was Kodi working as intended until right now.

What's still tripping me up, and maybe you can help me resolve this, is the re-use of the same idSong for a song in a completely different location. Based on my read on some of your previous statements, I feel like new ids should have been generated in this case? But I'm sure I'm not fully understanding the Kodi music scanning process. But looking at the Kodi log, it definitely updates the previous record with the new song location.

Tonight I will remove the duplicate CD and ensure the scan results make sense (there should be *some* change as I continue to migrate my music collection from iTunes into Kodi but those are a few songs her and there and not the drastic change I saw last scan)

Thank you for all your help in ensuring the sanctity of my music library - my life. And thank you for your help in better understanding how Kodi scans music in. Hopefully these freakouts of mine will become less common Smile

Not a bug related Kodi question:
- Does Kodi have a mode that will blindly add songs without relying on its tags to determine if it should update a previous record or not? For instance, is there a mode Kodi can be in that will always create song records for each song on disk, without regard for tags? Kodi can continue displaying songs in its UI as it does now (and I understand that this would lead to duplicate songs).
- What tags does Kodi take into account in determining if the song is the "same" ? For instance, the issue I'm running into seems due to me tagging all my music with MusicBrainz Picard. If I had two of the exact same mp3s in two different locations, I presume Kodi would never see this as the same?
- Would it make sense to carry over the userrating and itimesplayed in this case? In both my cases it seems like the previous entry was just updated (and the logs indicate that too I think)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kodi deleting or modifying previous entry when scanning in similar song - by cmsimike - 2019-03-14, 22:13
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi deleting or modifying previous entry when scanning in similar song0