Understanding Music Ratings Philosophy
Getting back to this after ingoring for a while.

I guess for the most part tags in songs were designed to record a user's rating, with the possibility that more than one user's rating could be saved in the same song (although I guess in practice it has been more used to separate different software in which the rating was done, rather than different users).

Then, I guess Apple decided to add an "album rating" which again was user defined (also "favorites" hearts), but also could be computed as the average of all rated songs in the album.  I don't know if the "album rating" is actually saved to any song tag?

Meanwhile various sites have compiled /published "community ratings, either for tracks or albums,  by experts or by user submissions that I guess are averaged.  So there is a concept of user rating and community rating / votes at both the track and album level.  I looked at the TADB API, it doesn't specify what data gets returned.   I suppose other sites could be scraped or api provided to get this data (it looks like musicbrainz has the ability to add a rating to tracks and release groups -- I don't know if it also has a "votes" field).  So maybe someone is scraping this data?

I have done some testing, don't see a problem with the infoflables though I do see skin.widgets script hasn't been updated to correctly deal with album ratings.  I thought I would try to load some mp3 files with POPM as set by MediaMonkey but so far I can't get Kodi to read the POPM.  Not sure what's going on here.  I might need to bug Dave for a look.  I see that the raw hex does show the POPM is
Code:
no@email 00 BA
which should be correct for MediaMonkey rating of 3.5.

It does seem to me that scanned POPM / rating from file metadata should be considered the userrating rather than rating.

scott s.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Understanding Music Ratings Philosophy - by scott967 - 2019-04-15, 22:17
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Understanding Music Ratings Philosophy0