Confused on how to deal with compilation albums with album artists and release series
Thank you so much for that excellent reply! It makes a lot more sense now.

What I've done so far is to essentially implement the file structure indicated in the wiki (artist->album->songs for single-artist albums and album-> songs for compilations) but I've got three different folders for compilations - one for compilations by artists, one for compilations by series and one for various artists. From what you write that should help to keep my collection human-manageable without having any effect on how Kodi populates its database.

I've bitten the bullet and tagged all albums not by a single album artists as having 'Various Artists' as their albums artist. I tried to add a "Compilation" tag but KID3 doesn't seem to want to do that, so I'm trying it this  way first. In some cases this overrides what Musicbrainz came up with, which is what section 7 of the Wiki warns against.

From what you write, I understand that if there are MBID tags present, Kodi will contact MB and do to my files what MB wants rather than what I want, is that correct?

(Not sure what the use of that would be, though, but I guess it made sense to team Kodi at the time.)

Is there a reason why I shouldn't simply nuke all MBID tags (thereby essentially killing all MB support in Kodi)? I'd hate to do that because I assume that the strong support Kodi has for MB was intended to be a Good Thing, but if all it does is get in the way of my intended way of organizing my files, there's little for it.

Once again thank you for all your advice and the time you have taken to type it all up! It's greatly appreciated!!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Confused on how to deal with compilation albums with album artists and release series - by frankvw - 2019-04-09, 14:42

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Confused on how to deal with compilation albums with album artists and release series0
This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.