How hard would it be to make a game library for modern games, e.g. Steam/GOG/etc.?
I just tried out Kodi, and it looks great for video and music. It has a Games section, but it seems there is currently no library for it.

Most of the discussion I've seen on here seems to be about retro game emulators and such. I don't have any emulators, but I would love to be able to launch all my existing non-emulator games through Kodi, like an open-source version of Steam's Big Picture Mode (minus Steam's controller configuration, of course).

It would be great if we could make a movie-style library for games, that simply launches them either directly (in the case of standalone/GOG games) or through their respective launchers (in the case of Steam/GOG/Uplay/... games). In this case Kodi wouldn't be storing any actual game files themselves, but just a reference to the game installation, so storing artwork and such wouldn't be a problem. Steam and GOG could also provide perfect scraper source material, should we need more information than the game files themselves provide.

I'm thinking the existing movies interface would be perfect, except launching the game instead of playing a video. I have very little Kodi addon-development experience, so I don't know the best way to go about this -- would a plugin be suitable?

Messages In This Thread
How hard would it be to make a game library for modern games, e.g. Steam/GOG/etc.? - by SilverWolf - 2019-05-24, 21:29
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How hard would it be to make a game library for modern games, e.g. Steam/GOG/etc.?0