How to decide on hardware for audio passthrough
Hi.

I use KODI audio passthrough on my Minix Neo U1, and I don't know how it works, but it just works, and I thought that was always the case.

Now, I'm trying to replace my device for a new one, and I find that many people acquired devices where this feature doesn't work.
On the other side, I see that, as per the information provided here, some of that same devices that can not passthrough some types of audio, can make it using LibreELEC, which makes me think this is not a hardware, but an operating system issue.

So, my questions are:
  • When people says KODI can not passthrough the DTS-HD (or any other format) audio to the receiver, it means that the audio will play only in 2.0, or it will still play in 5.1 but in a different format which KODI renders?
  • If I use a laptop/mini pc connected via HDMI, what should I check before buying to confirm my device will be able to play/passthrough the audio in 5.1 or in original format?
The point is that I do not really find a difference between the audio in different formats, but I want my audio to be 5.1.
My video requirement is not too high, as my TV is 1080p, so nowadays I think every device will fulfill that.

Thank you in advance.

Messages In This Thread
How to decide on hardware for audio passthrough - by elpreto - 2019-06-17, 13:34
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to decide on hardware for audio passthrough0