How to set up Kodi for music slide shows?
For years I have been contemplating switching to Android TV boxes from my current setup, but the biggest obstacle was that I couldn't figure out how to reproduce one feature of my current media steamers (Popcorn Hour players, 8-10 years old) which we use all the time on Kodi. I'd appreciate if anyone gave me pointers in the right direction (or told me that this is just not possible under Kodi).

Here is what I am trying to achieve with Kodi:
  • I have a giant (15,000) collection of my family jpeg pics which are stored in one networked folder. They are already properly scaled down (width <=1920 pixels, height <=1080 pixels), so no re-scaling is needed by Kodi when displayed on a 1080p TV.
  • My music files collection is also stored as networked folders.
  • I want to be able to quickly (2-3 clicks) navigate to one of my music folders, then start playing all of the music files there, including subfolders, in a random order (shuffle).
  • When music starts playing, I want random images from my collection to be displayed full screen, also in a random order. No re-scaling should be done. I don't care about transition effects (so it's either None, or perhaps Dissolve). I don't want anything else to be displayed while music is playing.
  • Regardless of which music folder I am listening to, I want the same image folder to be used for the slide show.

I have very little experience with Kodi, so I am at loss if this can be achieved. My understanding is that I'd need an add-on, though not quite sure which one. Perhaps I also need a custom skin? I tried Artistic Slideshow addon with the most recent Kody release (default skin), and kind of got what I wanted, but not quite. The music played in random order, while my images where displayed in a random order, but: (a) images were very dim, (b) images were scaled to fit the width of the screen, which for many of my images cut off the top and bottom, and © slide show is not enabled by default, I always have to click to enable it after the music starts. Unfortunately, the add-on didn't have any options to disable image re-scaling. Finally, in the default setup it takes too many clicks to get to the music folder I need (there must be a way to make folders the only option displayed by Kodi - I don't want to see all these "Artist", "Genre" etc options).

Any help would be appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
How to set up Kodi for music slide shows? - by pulsar124 - 2019-07-20, 15:24
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to set up Kodi for music slide shows?0