Music Videos, DVD albums, and Radio Shows
Kodi seems to confuse media file format with content type, assuming if it's a video based file format, it is "Shows or Movies" and if it's an audio format, it's music.

I've been struggling (for years) to handle things like my music albums which are in DVD format (for example, Yes and Jethro Tull have a number of good releases in that format especially for the multi-channel remixes), as well as on the other side of the spectrum, things like BBC radio productions. which are not music, and don't really fit that paradigm.

When I listen to music, I want to sit down, browse to the Artist, and then decide what album to listen to, regardless of what media format that may be.   However, since some of the albums are flac (cd rips) and others are DVD (mostly multi-channel releases), that complicates things enormously, since kodi wants to send them to completely different libraries (and can't really index them in many cases).  if I want to listen to one of my multi-channel albums, I need to go into the video file navigator and browse to it from there, rather than just "pick an album" from the Artist listing in the music section.  Likewise if I feel like dropping some of the artist's music videos in with the music playlist... can't be done... 

When I want to listen to some BCC radio production,  it's also a pain... (I end up once again browsing the file system).

Seems to me that a solution to this would be for kodi to stop conflating "file format" with "content type".   Don't assume that a .flac file is "music", and don't assume an MKV or ISO is a movie or TV show.   I'd like to index my music DVD iso albums (as well as concert videos, or "greatest Video Hits" dvds for that matter), as an "Album" in the music library under the artist, and browse to it the same way I browse to the albums which are in audio-only formats.  (similarly, I've got a couple blu-ray audio discs I ripped to mkv).

I would think the fact I took the time and effort to put the album in the file structure in the Music section should be sufficient to tell kodi to index it as music.   Likewise, I'd love to plop some of my radio shows under the "TV" area (since the are also Show/Season/Episode).

When actually *playing* the media, then that is the time to decide if it should be played with the video-player, or the audio-player.  I don't think forcing it into the "Video" or "Music" library based on file-type is the best way to handle it.

Has anyone managed to index things things in that way (using NFOs, plugins etc?)

Messages In This Thread
Music Videos, DVD albums, and Radio Shows - by randallspicher - 2019-10-08, 23:36
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Videos, DVD albums, and Radio Shows0