Req Change automatic subtitle track selection behavior
Question 
Hi,

Let's say you have your Bluray rip with multiple audio and subtitles tracks. You're always watching movies in their original language. So if you have a Japanese movie with Japanese and English audio, thanks to the option "Original stream language", Kodi will auto-select the Japanese audio track, which is pretty neat.

However, on the subtitle side of things, yes, Kodi will select English subtitles, but it will select the forced subtitle track rather than the full one! Meaning that obviously... You won't understand anything unless you go pick the full subtitle yourself in the settings.

It makes sense that it defaults to the forced track if you play the very same movie in English as it's what forced subtitle tracks are intended for (on screen text translation, other languages that may be in the movie...) but while playing with the original stream language, it doesn't make any sense!

Unless of course your Kodi is set in English, the movie original language you're watching is English, then obviously you're fluent in English and therefore, you rather have forced subtitle over the full ones.

So here is my "request"... Can Kodi consider the language it's running on and the original movie language in order to pick properly the subtitle track (Forced vs Full)?

In my case, my Kodi is set to French. When I watch an English movie, Kodi auto select the English audio track but due to its current behavior, it picks the French Forced subtitle track rather than the Full one, that is exactly what I'd like to change!

When I watch a French movie however, it'll be dumb to auto-pick the Full French track as it's my mother tongue, then I would like it to pick the French Forced track instead (which implies that Kodi consider the language I'm running it while selecting the subtitle track)

Does that make any sense to you guys?

EDIT:
Maybe this can be achieved through an add-on of some sort rather than modifying a core feature of Kodi? I'll be happy to have a look at it if that's even possible (I rather be able to do this on Kodi 18 than wait for the upcoming release), even if I have absolutely no knowledge about add-on coding (tips are welcome in that regard)

Cheers!

Messages In This Thread
Change automatic subtitle track selection behavior - by Moukrea - 2019-11-22, 11:33
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Change automatic subtitle track selection behavior0