Help wanted: looking for information about binary add-ons
Question 
Hello,

I am maintaining the Kodi video add-on for PeerTube (code here - more information about PeerTube here) which requires a BitTorrent library since PeerTube is based on this protocol.
Currently the add-on uses libtorrent, a C++ implementation of the BitTorrent protocol which provides python bindings.
The python bindings are not easily installable on all the systems though: there is no official pip package yet (even though they are working on it) but even this will not help for some systems where pip cannot be used (Android, TvOS, JeOS, etc.).

There is a Kodi add-on which provides pre-built versions of libtorrent for many systems: script.module.libtorrent
It looks like a good solution (even though the maintaining effort may be quite big to support all the systems) but then I found out that binary add-ons exists after reading this and this but I was not able to find documentation about this.
So I am asking for your help since I am quite new to Kodi development eco-system.

Do you think a binary add-on based on libtorrent code is a good option for my use case? (libtorrent is used by many software so it may be of interest for other projects)
How are binary add-ons compiled for all the systems? Is it provided somehow by Kodi "infrastructure" or is the owner of the add-on responsible for it?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Messages In This Thread
Help wanted: looking for information about binary add-ons - by ThomB - 2021-05-04, 22:44
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help wanted: looking for information about binary add-ons0