Apple TV2 Video Quality Issues. Please Assist me.
Hello, all.

I'm new to this. My first experience streaming video files from my MacPro came two weeks ago. I installed the app called "PS3 MediaServer" to my MacPro. It allows video/photo streaming from the computer to a Playstation 3, connected to my plasma tv. It works quite well, and as i had nothing to purchase (I had the PS3, and the PS3MS is a free download), i was pleased but also enthusiastic about the potential.

So, when i found that the Apple TV 2g could be hacked to play various video files, "i jump in it."

Took me two days to get the ATV jailbroken and XBMC installed, but i'm sorta set up now. But, video playback is...not good.

I need to back up a bit. The PS3 solution was great, for the most part. Playback is great. I love that the FF/RW on the remote works, although it's not smooth. But, instead, there's a button that shows indexed frames at certain intervals, so you can skip ahead. The only problem with the PS3 solution is that certain files do not play (error messages say either that the file is unsupported or sometimes corrupted), even though those files play on my computer. And, other files play back with distorted colors. So, i was hoping a hardware solution would iron those issues out.

Back to the Apple TV 2 with XBMC: The files that did not play on the PS3 are playing. With a couple of exceptions that shut the XBMC down. That's not the issue. The problem is that the quality of playback is pretty bad in most cases. The video has weird 'timing issues.' It will look slightly 'slo-mo,' or playback will look like it alternates between slightly slow and slightly fast - alternating from second to second sometimes.

Also, if a video seems to be playing back properly, it's still not as good as the PS3 playback. And if i try to FF the clip by even a few seconds, when it resumes, it seems to be 'off' speed-wise, and audio can be out of sync.

I expected playback to be equal to- or better than just using a free app to work through the Playstation. I'm finding it to be a worse solution. Streaming video through NetFlix, for example, looks the same through the PS3 and through the ATV2 with XBMC.

So, what am i doing wrong with my personal video files? I was using the same wired/internet cable to compare the PS3MediaServer playback to the XBMC playback, so that seems not to be a variable.

What video settings should i be using?

I'm Filesharing from the MacPro using SMB, with my video folder indicated in XBMC as smb://192..... with the IP taken from the Apple TV's Settings display.

Apple TV Network says i'm configured using TCP/IP.
IP Address: same as i entered in the SMB for the folder file share, although it says DHCP in the Apple TV "Network" list.

XBMC settings > Videos > PLAYBACK: I only have "AutoDetect" as a "render method."
Should Allow Hardware acceleration (Video Toolbox) be checked On?
Sync Playback to display?
A/V Sync method is grayed out
Allowed Error in aspect ratio...: None
Display 4:3 videos as: Normal
Activate Teletext: off

XBMC settings > Videos > SYSTEM:
Vertical Blank Sync: always enabled

XBMC settings > Videos > NETWORK
Services: What should be enabled here? Which Po

My system is set up as follows:
Video files (.wmv, .avi, .mp4, etc., from low-resolution through 1080p.) - all stored on my MacPro's internal boot drive. I will be putting them on their own external HD next week.
Ethernet cable to the Apple TV 2G, from my modem, which is connected to the MacPro via ethernet. Same connection as the Playstation 3.
Apple TV 2g purchased March 2011. Jailbreak via Seas0nPass, with XBMC installed through NitoTV via Terminal commands.

I'm not super techy, so if you respond, please don't use acronyms beyond the most obvious.
Thanks in advance.

Messages In This Thread
Apple TV2 Video Quality Issues. Please Assist me. - by ZeldaZonk - 2011-03-21, 00:18
[No subject] - by Paraffin - 2011-03-21, 00:57
[No subject] - by procrastinator - 2011-03-21, 02:06
[No subject] - by ZeldaZonk - 2011-03-21, 02:52
[No subject] - by bircoe - 2011-03-21, 02:56
[No subject] - by ZeldaZonk - 2011-03-21, 04:19
[No subject] - by procrastinator - 2011-03-21, 04:34
[No subject] - by dazex - 2011-03-21, 04:44
[No subject] - by bircoe - 2011-03-21, 04:47
[No subject] - by procrastinator - 2011-03-21, 05:04
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV2 Video Quality Issues. Please Assist me.0