• 16(current)
MySQL Database: Multiple XBMC HTPC's with 1 Shared Library
Thanks Ned, I have it right now with all sources shared then the extra source that I need added on the client that needs it but set not to be included in the library, that way I can at least access it from file mode (added as a favorite so I can hide the video menu). I haven't looked at smart playlists though, I'll have to take a look at that. The other option as you said is a 2nd profile that just contains the additional source and nothing else, and if I want to play movies from that source I can switch.

Thanks for the clarification.
DasMarx Wrote:snip

regarding my post about XBMC taking forever to open my movies list.

I checked what it is doing at that time with wireshark and it looks like this pattern:

Steps:
1. ask mysql about 1 specific thumbnail
2. check that thumbnail
3. go to 1 if there are more movies

Seriously?
This is pretty much the worst way to check this. The mysql answer is about 1-2 ms but the answer for the specific thumbnail takes about 20 ms for each movie. Regarding 2000 movies this takes 40 sec. Is there no way to make this dynamicly when asking for that thumbnail when displaying it?
DasMarx Wrote:Seriously?
This is pretty much the worst way to check this. The mysql answer is about 1-2 ms but the answer for the specific thumbnail takes about 20 ms for each movie. Regarding 2000 movies this takes 40 sec. Is there no way to make this dynamicly when asking for that thumbnail when displaying it?

I don't know the details (not a programmer myself) but we did have a problem a while back where XBMC would make thousands of connections to the MySQL server at once. Maybe the fix went overkill? I could be totally off about how this all works, though. I'll ask around and see what our MySQL experts on the team have to say.
It's not asking mysql at all about the existence of a thumbnail. The thumbnail check is a simple file stat. As the thumbnail is probably located on a network share (via pathsubstitution) this is slow as hell.

I've said about a million times that this is A BAD IDEA for exactly this reason.

Note that it won't be solved until the thumbs move into the texture cache (I'm about 70% of the way there for video thumbs).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I don't know what you call those, but i think they are Mysql questions about files.
Those happen after clicking on movies and will last for about 30 sec till i see the movies for the first time.

PS: I am not using pathsubstitution. I use symbolic links
Can somebody help me with this? I have tried several times over the last few years on several systems and never can get it to even pretend to work. I must be missing something.
I am setting this up on a NAS now. This is what I did:
#mysql -u root -p
>CREATE USER 'xbmc' IDENTIFIED BY 'xbmc';
>GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'xbmc';
>exit
Then deleted the library file on a XBMC (to get a fresh library install hoping this would help) Placed the advanedsettings.xml in the right directory:
<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>***.***.***.***</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
</videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>***.***.***.***</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
</musicdatabase>
</advancedsettings>
With my NAS IP in the correct spot.

FYI... I don't have a "music" library set up on any systems.

Added the video directory to the XBMC and allowed it to build a library. Then checked for library:
mysql> show databases;
+--------------------+
| Database |
+--------------------+
| information_schema |
| mysql |
+--------------------+
2 rows in set (0.13 sec)

I have never been able to get mysql to make a library. It is like the xbmc devices all ignore the .xml
Just going by the info you gave I would check firewalls/port settings and make sure you are using the ip address for the computer that has the MySQL server on it in your advanced settings file. If you are not using music then you do not need to add that to the advanced settings file. Also make sure you are putting the advanced.xml under the userdata folder. For Win7 you can find it at
Code:
C:\Users\Account Name Here\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata

This is what mine looks like using Eden RC1
Code:
<advancedsettings>

<video>
    <!-- Compensate display latency (video lag). Latency is given in msecs. -->
    <latency>

<!-- Global default display latency -->
      <delay>0</delay>
    </latency>
</video>

<!-- Video database for sharing MySQL, IP addy needs to be from the MySQL Server, use static IP on that computer. -->
    <videodatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>192.168.1.109</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>root</user>
        <pass>XXXXX</pass>
    </videodatabase>

<!-- Shares Thumbnails with all computers, use IP addy of computer hosting the files, use a static IP addy. -->
  <pathsubstitution>
    <substitute>
      <from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
      <to>smb://192.168.1.109/Thumbnails/</to>
    </substitute>
  </pathsubstitution>

</advancedsettings>

If you still have problems I would recommend adding a debug log. Something else you can try is to completely re-install MySQL so that it has the correct settings, make sure you use the standard configuration. If you do reinstall that make sure you delete all of the folder and files the uninstall likes to leave behind.
No matter what I do, mysql will not make a database. I shut off firewall, the IP address is correct. The mysql has the user name (I also tried "root").

It's like xbmc is ignoring the .xml file. There is no "fail" or "error" when the .xml fails, it just ignores it completely!
It is the same with my installation. I can't get XBMC (11.0 RC1) to use the MySql database tables.

How can we debug this problem?
Sure. With some DEBUG LOGS.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Want to tell me how to place a debug log? Please?
I would just like to get this working. I have tried for quite some time on MANY different machines every way imaginable and have yet to get the mysql to write the database.

I started back when you had to manually make the databases, and then got re-excited when you didn't have to do that anymore, and now I even went out and bought a NAS figuring it would be easier than doing it on a PC. NOTHING I do even pretends to work! This sucks!

I don't see how 3 lines of code can get messed up! It looks so simple. I have done things that require pages of code and gotten them to work no problem. I just think xbmc is ignoring the .xml file. I have placed it on 6 different systems in my home, pc, laptop, htpc, new systems, old systems... and nothing.

And I "searched" my question first and went through 3 pages of "results" and didn't find one of them that pertained to my problem. I would MUCH rather read the answer to the problem then have to wait for help.
When I search "problem sharing library mysql" I get exactly two results:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...rary+mysql
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...rary+mysql
Again, generate a debug log (Settings->System->Debugging) - where it is will depend on your OS - see the links in my sig.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

This is what I get in reference to advanced settings:
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: -----------------------------------------------------------------------
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: Starting XBMC (11.0-RC1 Git:20120226-30312f1), Platform: Windows 7, 32-bit Service Pack 1 build 7601. Built on Feb 26 2012 (compiler 1600)
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: Intel® Atom™ CPU D525 @ 1.80GHz
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: Desktop Resolution: 1280x1024 32Bit at 60Hz
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: Running with restricted rights
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: Aero is enabled
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: special://xbmc/ is mapped to: C:\Program Files\XBMC
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: special://xbmcbin/ is mapped to: C:\Program Files\XBMC
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: special://masterprofile/ is mapped to: C:\Users\Z-BOX\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: special://home/ is mapped to: C:\Users\Z-BOX\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: special://temp/ is mapped to: C:\Users\Z-BOX\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\cache
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: The executable running is: C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: Local hostname: Z-BOX-PC
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: Log File is located: C:\Users\Z-BOX\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\xbmc.log
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: -----------------------------------------------------------------------
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: Setup SDL
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: Found screen: Dummy Monitor on RDPDD Chained DD, adapter 0.
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: Primary mode: 1280x1024 @ 60.00 - Full Screen
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: Additional mode: 1280x1024 @ 60.00 - Full Screen
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: load settings...
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: special://profile/ is mapped to: special://masterprofile/
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: loading special://masterprofile/guisettings.xml
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: Getting hardware information now...
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: Checking resolution 12
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: Loading player core factory settings from special://xbmc/system/playercorefactory.xml.
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: Loaded playercorefactory configuration
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: Loading player core factory settings from special://masterprofile/playercorefactory.xml.
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: special://masterprofile/playercorefactory.xml does not exist. Skipping.
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: No settings file to load (special://xbmc/system/advancedsettings.xml)
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: No settings file to load (special://masterprofile/advancedsettings.xml)
02:04:44 T:2648 NOTICE: Default DVD Player: dvdplayer

There is no mention of it after that. Please let me know if you want the entire report. Smile
I see this:
special://masterprofile/ is mapped to: C:\Users\Z-BOX\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata
and this:
No settings file to load (special://masterprofile/advancedsettings.xml)

And I promise you that the .xml is in that directory! What could be wrong?
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MySQL Database: Multiple XBMC HTPC's with 1 Shared Library1