Is a 3 minute boot from a class 10 sd too slow?
I'm updating to the latest xbmcbuntu on my revo r3610.

So I thought I might try the install on a class 10 sd,
with a view to using the revo's internal drive for something else.

So I disabled the onboard controller to the hard drive,
booted and installed to my class 10 sd (integral), from a thumbdrive.

It was an easy install, everything works very well.

However it takes almost 3 minutes to boot, and even logging in over ssh takes a few seconds.
The old version used to take 30-40 secs max, and login was instant, from hdd.

Is this long boot normal from a sd card?

thanks

Normal for SD
ssh login is extremly slow when reverse dns is not possible in the network. I was never abable to fix the problem but when quickfixed it was instant ( I think I just added the laptop to the host file but not sure).

I guess the boot is normal then but if it looks like it hangs for minutes before the boot splash it is the grub2 bug you can get when booting from USB with another disk available.
(2012-04-08, 06:03)FishOil Wrote: Normal for SD

Dang - I guess I should'nt have been cheap..., and shelled out for an ssd Smile

(2012-04-08, 08:54)vikjon0 Wrote: ssh login is extremly slow when reverse dns is not possible in the network. I was never abable to fix the problem but when quickfixed it was instant ( I think I just added the laptop to the host file but not sure).

Thanks, that fixed it, reduced login from a couple of seconds to almost instant.

(2012-04-08, 08:54)vikjon0 Wrote: I guess the boot is normal then but if it looks like it hangs for minutes before the boot splash it is the grub2 bug you can get when booting from USB with another disk available.

I think you're right, there is a blank screen for a least a minute after selecting an option in grub, before any life (or splashscreen).
Once the splashscreen comes up - it takes about 2 mins to complete.
I had turned off the ide controller in the bios, but it might still be probed..
I'll have a look at downgrading grub.., or just crack open the case and remove the drive

Thanks for your help Smile

For reference, my AD10 with a 5400 RPM S-ATA HD boots in ~45 seconds. The same installation transferred to a Class 6 SDHC card needs more or less the same time to boot.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
Quote:I think you're right, there is a blank screen for a least a minute after selecting an option in grub, before any life (or splashscreen).
Once the splashscreen comes up - it takes about 2 mins to complete.
I had turned off the ide controller in the bios, but it might still be probed..
I'll have a look at downgrading grub.., or just crack open the case and remove the drive

Yes, downgrade is the only solution I found although I would have thought removing the disk would do it...

Quote:sudo apt-get purge grub2 grub-pc
sudo rm /boot/grub/*

sudo apt-get install grub
sudo update-grub

sudo fdisk -l

sudo grub-install /dev/sdX

echo "grub hold" | sudo dpkg --set-selections
Quote:
(2012-04-08, 15:24).:B:. Wrote: For reference, my AD10 with a 5400 RPM S-ATA HD boots in ~45 seconds. The same installation transferred to a Class 6 SDHC card needs more or less the same time to boot.

Thanks for the info, thats the kind of speed I was hoping for,
and infact having downgraded grub, boot time is down to 1min 20min,
There's still a small delay in grub, but that bootup time is acceptable whilst I test and configure it.

(2012-04-08, 17:06)vikjon0 Wrote: Yes, downgrade is the only solution I found although I would have thought removing the disk would do it...

The grub downgrade works, thank you Smile, and the boot time is now 1min 20min.

Now that I know that the sd can boot up in a family friendly time,
I'll crack open the Revo case and remove the hard drive and reinstall xbmc on SD.

Thanks for all your helpSmile
1:20 may be what you can get, I am concerned that xbmcbuntu Eden is actually slower than the prev live. My asrock boots in 55s (5400rpm) which is the same as on full ubuntu desktop 9.04 +xbmc (if I remember correctly). 1:20 is slow but not that much slower. I have not investigated further as 55s is ok for me. I just turn it on in the morning and off when I go to bed....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is a 3 minute boot from a class 10 sd too slow?0