Linux subtititles with UPnP
Sad 
Hi all,

While working with UPnP connecting to my Synology Media Server, the streaming works very well. However, when trying to select a subtitle for a stream (which is not embedded, so I have to revert to the file system), it only allows me to select files on the local box, not on a network location (NFS).

I did the following:
System Settings -> Video -> Subtitles -> Subtitle Folder: I selected an NFS location, so the subtitles may be shared

When playing a title, it does not allow me to traverse down that folder. So, I cannot select anything. On a local folder it works fine.
Looks like a bug to me.

(It would be really nice if one could browse the default subtitle location and drop it in the renderer pane. But that's more like a feature request. Or better even, the automatic fetching of subtitles could work with UPnP streams, performing a lookup based on the name of the title and user preferences).

I would be pleased with a solution to the bug. Currently I am copying my subtitles to a local folder, which is not particularly practical.

Because for UPnP XBMC only sees the media files themselves. I believe it's a shortcoming in our implementation of UPnP.
(2012-04-09, 20:45)Ned Scott Wrote: Because for UPnP XBMC only sees the media files themselves. I believe it's a shortcoming in our implementation of UPnP.

I don' think it has anything to do with UPnP as such. When browsing through UPnP folders, you are right, it doesn not show the sub files. But that might very well be a correct implementation. No, what I want to do is browse a network folder using the NFS protocol and select a file. This should be allowed as it has nothing to do with UPnP.
ah, sorry, I must have been tired when I read your post.

I'm not sure why it doesn't work with the NFS share, but a work around might be to use path substitution (wiki) to share the subs. That way XBMC will think they are local, but they're actually on the NFS share.
Smile 
(2012-04-10, 10:27)Ned Scott Wrote: ah, sorry, I must have been tired when I read your post.

I'm not sure why it doesn't work with the NFS share, but a work around might be to use path substitution (wiki) to share the subs. That way XBMC will think they are local, but they're actually on the NFS share.

OK. Thanks. Will try that. But anyway, I still think this is a bug... (how to report it properly?)

Further, me being a newbie I am sometimes struggling a little with the simplest of things. E.g. I could not find an easy way to access the filesystem on the XBMCBuntu box, so I decided to install an FTP deamon and it works like a charm (SFTP). However, there probably exists an easier way to do access your files from another system?

So, this is what I tried:

<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>/home/lolke/Subtitles</from>
<to>NFS://10.0.1.10/Subtitles/</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

I first had the <from> and <to> swapped:
<from>NFS://10.0.1.10/Subtitles/</from>
<to>/home/lolke/Subtitles</to>

Both seem to have no effect. I assume that this is just a substitution, so the /home/lolke/Subtitles does not exist but is used as an alias for the NFS. Right?

Now if it is done correctly I would expect somewhere this name Subtitles to be selectable or at least visible. Nope.
Looks like I do something wrong here. Would you have any ideas as to what?

Thanks a lot for the help.

I don't see any xbmc.logs here ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
subtititles with UPnP0