Realistic expectations of XBMC performance on ATV2?
Slowly moving our home toward full-fledged XBMC usage and cutting off cable for good.

I have NFS share set up on my Synology NAS DS111. This share has movies, TV, and thumbs folder.
MySQL is also set up for library syncing across multiple devices.

My advancedsettings.xml has the MySQL login, port, etc info, and I also have path substitution section in this file, replacing special://(something for thumbs) to the NFS share for thumbs.

Works beautifully on my MacBook Pro, as well as WinXP machine. No bothersome delays anywhere when navigating through the video library of movies and TV shows (fanarts come up quickly). Same for any location in my house, including where my ATV2's are.

However, my ATV2 has noticeable delay when navigating the movie library.

For example: clicking on "Movies" from home screen, there is at least 5 seconds wait before I see the list.

And then when I navigate down the list, from one movie to next, the fanart takes maybe 1-2 seconds to load.

It's one of those things that makes me go "hmmmm" and makes me wonder if I should be buying a stronger HTPC (ie: Zotac (sp?) or some other small built computer)

Is this pretty much the norm for XBMC experience on ATV2?
What skin are you using? I have found quartz to be the fastest.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Transparency. I didn't realize skins can be a contributor to delay. I'm going to try different skins and see if I see any improvements.

Out of curiousity, what is your general setup? Does your ATV2's access shares wirelessly via a share? What type of share (NFS/SMB)? Do you also use MySQL for syncing?

Basically, I need to know what realistic expectations should be in terms of menu delay with an ATV2, considering the fact that I see no menu delay with my other devices (MacBook Pro and WinXP machine).

Not sure if it make any difference but I'm using iOS 5.1
ALWAYS use a hardline if possible - using wireless is just asking for issues. SMB from a laptop on the network. The laptop hdd is only 300gigs so the library is not a concern.

more info on quartz here - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=101319
(2012-04-27, 20:57)bry- Wrote: ALWAYS use a hardline if possible - using wireless is just asking for issues. SMB from a laptop on the network. The laptop hdd is only 300gigs so the library is not a concern.

more info on quartz here - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=101319

Not an option for me - otherwise I'd be using wired solution.

But based on my testing, I doubt networking is even the issue - I'm able to play 720p movies at the same time via wireless on 3 different devices with no stuttering at all.

Plus, as I mentioned in original post, menu navigation is not delayed at all, it's fast/crispy when I am using XBMC on my MacBook Pro (wirelessly).

In that light, please explain how you came to the conclusion that my issue has anything to do with the fact that I'm using wireless setup.

Was testing Quartz skin out. It's definitely much faster, less delay in menu navigation.

The only issue I have with Quartz is that I cannot seem to find any skin options that makes fanart fill up my entire TV screen, and NOT hide most of it with text description (yet I DO want text description, but moved to the "side" as not to cover up most of the full-screen fanart). Other than that, I'm happy with Quartz.

Wireless issue? No. More like CPU/RAM issues on ATV2 with other skins, it seems like.
I have 2 apple tv 2's (wireless) and one desktop (wired). Even when the ATV2s are wired there is a slight delay. I think it just has to do with the processing power of the ATV2. I think the ATV3 will be much faster. My desktop is much faster but it is also a much faster processor.

Over wireless I have no problems streaming 720p content with dts surround sound etc.
(2012-04-27, 21:15)GavinCampbell Wrote: I have 2 apple tv 2's (wireless) and one desktop (wired). Even when the ATV2s are wired there is a slight delay. I think it just has to do with the processing power of the ATV2. I think the ATV3 will be much faster. My desktop is much faster but it is also a much faster processor.

Over wireless I have no problems streaming 720p content with dts surround sound etc.

Thanks, that's what I thought.. ATV2 isn't as powerful as I hoped it'd be.

Good thing I'm buying one thing at a time - I'd still keep ATV2, but put it into kid's room or our bedroom and buy a more powerful option for our main TV (family room).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Realistic expectations of XBMC performance on ATV2?0