Jailbreak Apple TV 3?
(2012-05-02, 09:28)Jean-Max Wrote: Hello,

Excuse me for this "out of XBMC subject question", from my "Apple" friend :

-> With ATV3, how can we have better 1080p HD video quality ?

Perhaps :

-(1)- Linking ATV3 to MAC Pro with ethernet cat6 cable instead of WiFi ?

-(2)- Modify inside ITUNE software setting in MAC pro, the compression level of 1080p HD video (possible ?)

Thanks for your experience Smile

PS : If my friend cannot have better 1080p HD video quality with his ATV3, he will look about an other media-player like ZBOX + XBMC

As it is right now and for probably the next few months at least, he will have nothing because XBMC does not run on the ATV3. It won't run on it until there is a jailbreak.

In theory, yes, the ATV3 should provide 1080 playback, and have more CPU power for some HD codecs that are done in software. We don't know what exactly that means for XBMC until XBMC is tested on the hardware for the very first time.

Using wired ethernet is recommended over wifi.

XBMC doesn't use iTunes on the desktop at all.
(2012-05-02, 10:47)Ned Scott Wrote: XBMC doesn't use iTunes on the desktop at all.
Thanks for your reply Smile

Yes, I know that XBMC doesn't use ITUNES

.. but my question "out of XBMC subject" was about ITUNES itself in MAC world :

-> Can ITUNE be set to store HD 1080 videos with a compression not so degrading ? (*)

Nb: When ATV3 will be jailbreaked (nothing is impossible), installing XBMC on ATV3 and reading the distant 1080 HD videos stored on the distant networked MAC would be the final solution

But actually, and waiting this future time, it would be useful to try to have better HD 1080 videos through the actual ATV3.. (*)

Thanks for any ideas and for MAC lovers experiences Smile
Jean-Max

OpenELEC on 2 ZBOX
KODI on 4 Windows PC
Pardon me if I'm wrong on this. But isn't it a key feature o0f the ATV3 to provide now 1080p playback? Also Apple now offers 1080p Movies and TV shows on iTunes. So yes, the ATV is able to play 1080p movies.
The cake is a lie!
(2012-05-02, 18:27)Jean-Max Wrote:
(2012-05-02, 10:47)Ned Scott Wrote: XBMC doesn't use iTunes on the desktop at all.
Thanks for your reply Smile

Yes, I know that XBMC doesn't use ITUNES

.. but my question "out of XBMC subject" was about ITUNES itself in MAC world :

-> Can ITUNE be set to store HD 1080 videos with a compression not so degrading ? (*)

Nb: When ATV3 will be jailbreaked (nothing is impossible), installing XBMC on ATV3 and reading the distant 1080 HD videos stored on the distant networked MAC would be the final solution

But actually, and waiting this future time, it would be useful to try to have better HD 1080 videos through the actual ATV3.. (*)

Thanks for any ideas and for MAC lovers experiences Smile

iTunes doesn't set the compression of videos, or change the video when you import it into the iTunes library. There are no settings to do what you're asking because it's not a function of iTunes. You can configure what resolution of videos you'd like to get when you rent/buy movies from within iTunes. So that if you buy a movie, you can specify whether you want it in 720p or 1080p. But regarding your existing movies not acquired through iTunes, the iTunes app doesn't/cannot do anything to the quality.

And don't confuse "resolution" with "quality". 720p and 1080p refer to the resolution (shape and size) of the video, not the quality. The quality is determined/set by whatever program was used to rip the movie in the first place. So if you don't like the quality of the movies, you'll have to re-rip the movies again from the source. If you used a program like Handbrake to rip the video from say a retail Bluray disc, you would specify in Handbrake what video quality you would like the video to have. Obviously the higher the quality, the bigger the file size, and the longer it will take to rip. If it's not good enough after ripping it, you'll have to redo it with higher quality settings.

So if you want "better HD 1080 videos", you'll have to re-rip them from the source. iTunes won't help you.

Also, keep in mind that you don't need iTunes to play videos from a remote networked Mac. For that, all you have to do is setup a network share on the remote networked Mac, and tell XBMC to look at that specific remote share for videos. No iTunes necessary.

(2012-05-02, 21:21)blubberx Wrote: Pardon me if I'm wrong on this. But isn't it a key feature o0f the ATV3 to provide now 1080p playback? Also Apple now offers 1080p Movies and TV shows on iTunes. So yes, the ATV is able to play 1080p movies.

Make sure you understand that there's also discussion of ATV2 in this thread, not just for ATV3, thus the confusion.

ATV3 of course plays 1080p, whereas ATV2 cannot (it can process 1080p, but will only output into 720p).

I use this to transcode some of my 1080P MKV's to play on my ATV3 through Itunes. It will convert the DTS to AC3 since the ATV3 can't play DTS audio.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=163050

It is very fast when transcoding.

It will convert other video formats too.
(2012-05-02, 22:48)crawl Wrote: So if you want "better HD 1080 videos", you'll have to re-rip them from the source. iTunes won't help you.
On his MAC pro, my friend captures by Firewire his HDV 1080 videos from his HDV camcorder
For this capture and master creating, he uses last version of IMOVIE HD
At this time the HD 1080 video quality is perfect and the video file saved on the disk by IMOVIE HD is big (more than 12go / hour)

To be seen on ATV2 ATV3, the same HD videos go in ITUNES and there, they are stored in high compressed format which degrades the quality (*) : That's where is the problem

From ATV2 ATV3, he seems obliged to use distant ITUNES, so he cannot see the big and high quality HD video files created by IMOVIE on his MAC :
-> Could-it be possible ?

Note:

->What is the real interest of an ATV2 jailbreaked (and ATV3 probably jailbreaked in next future) + XBMC
comparing with an mini HTPC (like ZBOX) + XBMC ?
Ex: The 2 ones can play distant videos stored on MAC, out of ITUNES

Perhaps the interest of ATVx is the easy link with MAC, IPAD and IPHONE ?

Thanks for your ideas Smile
Jean-Max

OpenELEC on 2 ZBOX
KODI on 4 Windows PC
@Jean-Max
I would say the main advantages of ATV are:
1- the price
2- for me airplay is also a good point since I own an iphone and MacBook pro
3- And you can turn the ATV remotely which is not always possible on "cheap" HTPCs
I'm also hesitating between an HTPC and the ATV3 if the jailbreak comes soon enough

What about ATV3 and 3D movies 1080p, 720p.. ?
this is good news for us right? https://twitter.com/#!/pod2g/status/198147732010057728
(2012-05-04, 19:19)idlerobbo Wrote: this is good news for us right? https://twitter.com/#!/pod2g/status/198147732010057728

Read Memphiz reply here:

http://forum.firecore.com/topic/7970
oops, hope I don't spark the same arguments here! bitch fight!!
Grr.. so I just bought 2x atv3 thinking I could slap on xbmc, but am I correct in reading that the atv3 cannot be jail broken at all yet? Should I return these puppies.. ?
(2012-06-03, 20:31)flyte Wrote: Grr.. so I just bought 2x atv3 thinking I could slap on xbmc, but am I correct in reading that the atv3 cannot be jail broken at all yet? Should I return these puppies.. ?

I would'nt...... if and when a JB is finally released to the public it will exploit the current iOS. Apple will most likely release a newer iOS immediately after that has yet to be exploited and ship new ATV3's to stores causing folks who wanted to wait for a JB before purchase continued headaches. Naw bro, keep those puppies and be patient like the rest of us it wont be too much longer!
Big Grin 
Although dieselboy27's remark was spot on, finally we have confirmation that there is a jailbreak in the works:

http://www.appletvhacks.net/2012/08/13/c...the-works/

Don't forget to save your SHSH blobs

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jailbreak Apple TV 3?0