• 19(current)
Release Forum Browser - Programs Addon
(2012-05-04, 23:20)hasselhof Wrote: I have to take my hat of to you,i've been looking through your google code page at all the items that go into forum browser and i'm well impressed.

I feel bad for all the requests that i've been asking for,I knew it was involved but not to what extent.
I just get the nice shiny product.I reallly apriciate all your hard work.
Update looks great thank you.

Hey, no problem. I do enjoy coding. When someone is willing to be helpful and encouraging I really don't mind requests. If I don't want to do anything about them, I won't Smile
What bugs me is when people act like your an idiot for not adding whatever feature they think is important.
I have all kinds of code I've written that's only suitable for personal use because to make a program usable for others, it takes a lot more effort and you have to do a lot of things that you may not need or want to do for yourself.
I think most open source developers like to think that they are creating something that others find useful and appreciate, and when that's the response they get from users, they want to continue doing it.
Fortunately, especially for this addon, that's mostly the response I've been getting.

In fact, if it wasn't for you and dj_gerbil, I wouldn't have been putting so much effort into Forum Browser. Many times with my other addons, I get requests for a bug fix or a feature, and I fix or add it, and never get any response whether it worked or not. I don't expect people to tell me I'm great Smile but I do feel that they can at least put out the effort to test the thing they requested.

Anyway, you guys have gone above and beyond in response to fixes and such.
I really do appreciate the testing you've done and the positive feedback. It adds to the project and makes me feel like working on it.

(2012-05-05, 03:42)ruuk Wrote:
(2012-05-04, 23:20)hasselhof Wrote: I have to take my hat of to you,i've been looking through your google code page at all the items that go into forum browser and i'm well impressed.

I feel bad for all the requests that i've been asking for,I knew it was involved but not to what extent.

Hey, no problem. I do enjoy coding. When someone is willing to be helpful and encouraging I really don't mind requests. If I don't want to do anything about them, I won't Smile
What bugs me is when people act like your an idiot for not adding whatever feature they think is important.
I have all kinds of code I've written that's only suitable for personal use because to make a program usable for others, it takes a lot more effort and you have to do a lot of things that you may not need or want to do for yourself.
I think most open source developers like to think that they are creating something that others find useful and appreciate, and when that's the response they get from users, they want to continue doing it.
Fortunately, especially for this addon, that's mostly the response I've been getting.

In fact, if it wasn't for you and dj_gerbil, I wouldn't have been putting so much effort into Forum Browser. Many times with my other addons, I get requests for a bug fix or a feature, and I fix or add it, and never get any response whether it worked or not. I don't expect people to tell me I'm great Smile but I do feel that they can at least put out the effort to test the thing they requested.

I really do appreciate the testing you've done and the positive feedback. It adds to the project and makes me feel like working on it.

Thanks ruuk, I like testing so it's all good.
I think what you do is very clever, and to do what you do
in your valuable spare time is cool.
I look forward to trying out your latest releases.

(2012-05-05, 03:42)ruuk Wrote:

I'm just glad to help out a fellow coder Smile I know exactly what you mean about feature requests and bug fixes and not getting feedback from the user that reported the issue.
Hi ruuk
I`m having trouble getting your latest update to downlod
All other addons updated ok on startup, and I can install
other addons no problem.I've tried all the usual methods
ie force refresh, check for updates etc.I can see an available
update but it won't let me download it.
I havn't had m/c on for about a week and a half, was on version
v0.9.29 can see v0.9.35 but cant download it.I've also tried
turning pc of and on again a couple of times.
Thinking back i've always had to do a force refresh even after
a reboot to get your updates, when all other addon updates update
automatically.
I've uninstalled v0.9.29 to install the official repo version
but no joy there also.When you click on update availble it gets to 0%
then jumps back to update availble.

Maybe your working inside of your repo so that it isn't available for download
at this time.

I've just installed all your other program addons no problems, but not forum browser.
Thanks John.
(2012-05-06, 10:13)hasselhof Wrote: I`m having trouble getting your latest update to downlod

The zip was named ...0.3.5.zip instead of ...0.9.35.zip

Should work now Smile
(2012-05-06, 19:36)ruuk Wrote:
(2012-05-06, 10:13)hasselhof Wrote: I`m having trouble getting your latest update to downlod

The zip was named ...0.3.5.zip instead of ...0.9.35.zip

Should work now Smile

That did the trick, was able to get the update thanks.
I have gave it a quick whirl, and I have a smile on my face, it's brilliant!!!!
Will give it a proper testing later, and give you some feedback.
The testing I have done is on Windows XP so far, and all is top notch.
Well done mate.

XBMChub has a new website now and Tapatalk is being enabled in the coming days.
Check it out, it would be a great extra place to showcase your addon/repo.
Version 0.9.36

Changes:
- Forumrunner: Send private messages, Thread Unsubscribe, Delete PMs, Delete Posts
- Tapatalk: Added a check for thread subscriptions when showing the context menu because we can't trust the data returned with the thread list
- Added refresh to the forums context menu
- Tapatalk & Forumrunner: Message BB Code tag processing for Code,HTML,PHP,indent,bulleted list, numbered list, color tags, size tags(removes them)
- Tapatalk: process non-user post html tags for quote, link, image etc
- Removed XBMCHub (It's broken and they're getting Tapatalk)
- Added dialogs when deleting posts and PMs
- Added a dialog after successfully sending a PM/Post
- Tapatalk: Since the api currently only allows deleting posts by moderators, deleting is now disabled (not on menu) unless the user is a moderator
- Logos now cached with correct filename extension
- Tapatalk: Fix bug causing error on forums without forum subscriptions or when not logged in when showing dialogs
- Show activity splash when waiting for dialogs that fetch data

On my REPO.

dj_gerbil: Can you moderate on TVCatchup? If so, I'd like you to see if the delete option on the context menu for posts shows up for you and if you can delete. I just made it so it only shows up for moderators, since the Tapatalk api currently only allows moderators to delete - but I have no way to test it as a moderator.
(2012-05-07, 02:45)ruuk Wrote: Version 0.9.36

Changes:
- Forumrunner: Send private messages, Thread Unsubscribe, Delete PMs, Delete Posts
- Tapatalk: Added a check for thread subscriptions when showing the context menu because we can't trust the data returned with the thread list
- Tapatalk & Forumrunner: Message BB Code tag processing for Code,HTML,PHP,indent,bulleted list, numbered list, color tags, size tags(removes them)
- Tapatalk: Since the api currently only allows deleting posts by moderators, deleting is now disabled (not on menu) unless the user is a moderator
- Tapatalk: Fix bug causing error on forums without forum subscriptions or when not logged in when showing dialogs

On my REPO.

dj_gerbil: Can you moderate on TVCatchup? If so, I'd like you to see if the delete option on the context menu for posts shows up for you and if you can delete. I just made it so it only shows up for moderators, since the Tapatalk api currently only allows moderators to delete - but I have no way to test it as a moderator.

There is no stopping you!.
(2012-05-07, 02:45)ruuk Wrote: Version 0.9.36

Changes:

On my REPO.

I can indeed, I'll test it for you in a bit Smile
Hi ruuk,

Forum Browser auto updated fine.

I've done a bit of testing on v 0.9.36 on Linux and my results are as follows:-

Progress bar is still hard to see on dark skin, sometimes it's okay and sometimes not,
example of not is when changing between different forums.

When dark skin is activated images for most show up fine, but if you go to
"XBMC.org" "ARTWORK PACKS" "film studio flag icons - post new ones here"
go to page 1 post 20 the five images preview okay on the right side but on full screen
selection the .png images don't show very well at all, but they display perfectly in the
light skin.

XBMC4XBOX now displays perfectly, no indented brackets visible.

BOXEE is working great.

When in Subscription View subscribed forums have no description in info pane at
bottom of screen.
Also in Subscription View when highlighting a forum you are told it's
a thread in top left of screen.
See screenshot

Unsubscribe from thread/forum works fine, although you have to go out and back in to see
its' removal, and subscribe to thread/forum works fine.

Image viewer is excellent, left and right arrows work great, as does the red cross/close button,
however, image viewer seems to go a bit wrong when I switch off mouse support in XBMC
settings, the image viewer doesn't allow left and right image browsing and the central cross
disappears, which is used to close down image browser.

Forum type icons are good except forumrunner icon is a bit busy/not clear, the Tapatalk
icon is nice and sharp, as is the native icon.
Have a look at the icon from the following user on
"FORUMRUNNER FORUMS" "FEATURE REQUESTS" "VBGALLERY - PHOTOPOSTGALLERY"
User "CLEMSONJEEPER" I quite like this icon which he has used as his avatar, what do you think?

Message dialogues much improved, nice big windows.

Options button is better than settings button.

New options menu with icons and description I cannot fault.

Help option is cool, especially the view change log which is very handy.

Cached logos are working okay but what is the desired extension? as I'm getting .ico, .png.gif & .jpg.
The online database icon for Forumrunner forum is not displaying in the forum selection window, this
is saved as a .ico on my machine.

Square skin animation for activity indicator is working great.
The round busy icon on the dark skin looks different to light skin icon,
but works great.See screenshot.

Full message view window couldn't see help in context menu.

Open thread at newest post works and newest post is at the bottom of screen focussed
but if I switch on reverse sort post the newest post isn't focussed at the top of the screen
it's still focussed at the bottom (but newest post is at the top of the screen)

General button focus globally is much better.

Post links seem to go where they are supposed to.

Send PM button works okay, as does confirmation message.

Error messages are a lot better with much bigger windows (I liked the one where I was
informed my log in details were wrong).

Refresh from forum context menu works okay.

Nod smiley doesn't show a smiley.

Not sure what you meant about sub forums being indented?

Would it be possible to add the version number of Forumbrowser somewhere on screen?

Also I think it could do with a popup message prompting you to restart Forumbroswer when
switching between different skins.

This version is the best yet, very professional and I would say very close to being ready for
the offcial repo.

Thanks
John Nod Nod Nod

See screenshots :-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.hanselman/

Thanks for all the testing John.
A lot of good issue catches. Most are now on my TODO list.

(2012-05-07, 12:58)hasselhof Wrote: When in Subscription View subscribed forums have no description in info pane at
bottom of screen.
The description isn't in the data when I get the list of subscriptions, so I can't do anything about that.
By the way, before you noticeSmile, forumrunner doesn't handle forum subscriptions at all, so that's why that isn't on any of the forumrunner forums.
(2012-05-07, 12:58)hasselhof Wrote: Unsubscribe from thread/forum works fine, although you have to go out and back in to see
its' removal, and subscribe to thread/forum works fine.
I wasn't sure whether I wanted to remove them from the list when unsubscribing, and went with leaving them because it was easier Smile
I think I'll go ahead and have them get removed, as it helps lets the user know that it worked.
(2012-05-07, 12:58)hasselhof Wrote: Image viewer is excellent, left and right arrows work great, as does the red cross/close button,
however, image viewer seems to go a bit wrong when I switch off mouse support in XBMC
settings, the image viewer doesn't allow left and right image browsing and the central cross
disappears, which is used to close down image browser.
I'll fix the arrows issue, but the close button is supposed to go away with mouse support disabled. In fact, that should be happening on all the windows. You would normally just use the normal previous menu button to close the window when not using the mouse.
(2012-05-07, 12:58)hasselhof Wrote: Cached logos are working okay but what is the desired extension? as I'm getting .ico, .png.gif & .jpg.
The online database icon for Forumrunner forum is not displaying in the forum selection window, this
is saved as a .ico on my machine.
Previously all of the images had a .jpg extension even though the actual images might not be jpegs. I fixed it to get the extension from the url so that the file is named with the correct extension for the image. XBMC was giving a message in the log about the images not being jpeg, but it displayed them anyway.

Forumrunner didn't have a usable logo in the list because it's in a style sheet. Also, when there is no image set, it tries to use the favicon.ico instead, which forumrunner also does not have, so you just get a 0 byte .ico file. I'm going to have the logo selection dialog pull images out style sheets as well when I get to it, and then I can fix the logo.
(2012-05-07, 12:58)hasselhof Wrote: Square skin animation for activity indicator is working great.
The round busy icon on the dark skin looks different to light skin icon,
but works great.
I've had a hard time getting an animated gif with a transparent background to work correctly (and the one in the light skin looks terrible on the dark skin), so I had the idea to use skin animation instead for the dark skin. Now it actually just rotates the image. I liked the gif used in the light skin, so I kept it. That's why they don't match. I do plan to make the image the same across all views in the dark skin (right now it is the gif on the forums view) and it will probably look different since it needs to be on both a dark and light background.
(2012-05-07, 12:58)hasselhof Wrote: Nod smiley doesn't show a smiley.
Not all smilies are going to work yet. I handle all the ones from MyBB and vBulletin right now, but don't have actual smilies for all of those. Other forum types may have smilies that I don't handle, but I'll get to those after the repo release.
Since I can't animate the smilies, I'm not sure how to do the nod smiley, which is why it just shows *NOD* colored yellow right now, because I don't want to put a smiley that doesn't express the intended meaning.
(2012-05-07, 12:58)hasselhof Wrote: Not sure what you meant about sub forums being indented?
Well, they are just indented a couple of spaces, which may be less noticeable with your skins font. When I finish extending the modified font to all windows, that may change. It's supposed to be subtle, just enough to help set them apart.
Hi ruuk

made myself a member on the celebforum (forumrunner), I can login in a browser no problem
but in forum browser it wouldn't allow me to log in. (this forum has some adult content which doesn't require a login to see
so maybe this is best removed from the online database)

also while clicking around I made XBMC crash to a black screen with a little white cross
in the center which then rebooted xbmc itself. This has happened many times on other addons etc
so maybe an xbmc problem

see log file :- http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.hanselman/xbmc.log

The very end of the log is where it crashed, but I cant remember what exactly I was clicking on as it surprised me.

a.t.b

John.
Hi ruuk, just test the latest build on TVC's forum to see if I can delete a post and I can't. I get an error saying "I might not have permission". I've posted my log for you here. Hope it helps Smile
Thanks for all the answers.

(2012-05-07, 20:28)dj_gerbil Wrote: Hi ruuk, just test the latest build on TVC's forum to see if I can delete a post and I can't. I get an error saying "I might not have permission". I've posted my log for you here. Hope it helps Smile
Was it your own post (this probably shouldn't matter, but is useful to know)? There's no more info in the log than the message you get (and there's no error)
It may be that either it's not enabled in the Tapatalk config for the forum, or that it doesn't work on some plugin versions. I'll probably just leave it as is as it may work for some situations, and only moderators are going to be able to do it right now anyway.
It was perhaps useful to see some flags that are set when your a moderator.
You at least confirmed that it's detecting your moderator status and allowing the delete option to show.
  • 19(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Forum Browser - Programs Addon5