• 13(current)
Linux AudioEngine testers - Linux only
(2012-05-14, 12:19)ScotchTape Wrote: deleted the 'old' xbmc-dir, cloned into a new directory. Tried it again yesterday afternoon, after pulling the latest commit, recompile, still no sound..
I don't know what broke while the merge, but the versions before the merge where fine.

I'm aware of commit 6a7404b577db96f2a367c21d25904c37538c16a7 Smile

I'll try again later with --without-pulse

No need for the pulse option, ./configure sets it to disabled by default. Also, instead of deleting and recloning you can do:

Code:
make clean
git reset HEAD --hard
git pull origin master
./bootstrap
./configure
make

Based on your log, it looks to me like AE is failing to open the PCM device in raw mode (snd_pcm_open_lconf returned a -16 error code). gnif will have to comment on what the actual cause is.
HTPC: Gentoo linux amd64 w/ xbmc merged with AE
(2012-05-14, 14:35)wingrunr21 Wrote: No need for the pulse option, ./configure sets it to disabled by default. Also, instead of deleting and recloning you can do:

Code:
make clean
git reset HEAD --hard
git pull origin master
./bootstrap
./configure
make

Based on your log, it looks to me like AE is failing to open the PCM device in raw mode (snd_pcm_open_lconf returned a -16 error code). gnif will have to comment on what the actual cause is.

Thanks for the input Smile
I've noticed that error, too. In Eden I use hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3 but AE chooses hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0. For my naive interpretation it looks like AE uses the first device which matches the speaker layout. Since I'm still on alsa 10.0.24 and didn't found a way to update to 1.0.25 I'm stuck here Smile

Music plays fine, btw (OK, different player..).. Anyway. I keep on compiling and testing.

and aplay -L:
Code:
aplay -L
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
Home AV[/b]: Panasonic TX-P42ST33 Plasma | Onkyo TX-NR636 | Teufel 5.1 THX- Speakers | ATV2 | Wetek Core| DN2820FYK LibreElec | Harmony One Remote

I realised I had an .asoundrc file to get passthrough working in Eden. After removing it my HDMI was found and seems to work.
AWXi - Ajax web interface. Wiki
(2012-05-14, 22:21)Mizaki Wrote: I realised I had an .asoundrc file to get passthrough working in Eden. After removing it my HDMI was found and seems to work.

I may try renaming mine to see if things get to working on the system that still mostly functions. I'm having to rebuild my other box and wow I'm not much liking newer versions of Linux with Unity! Even Mint 12 is feeling sluggish compared to the 10.20 I was using. I may actually consider moving backwards to 10.04 to get onto an LTS. <sigh> If it weren't for the sound subsystem being such a PITA in Linux I'd be much less hesitant to move versions...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
You realize you replied to posts from the beginning of the thread right? From the beginning of April...
anyone have anything to recommend for my setup ? thinking im going back to windows as this is a head ache and wont even pass true-hd.
Have you tried clearing all of your asoundrcs? Looks like you've got a few.

Also remember that since you are running an ATI card you can't get HD audio output.
(2012-05-15, 15:26)wingrunr21 Wrote: ...

Also remember that since you are running an ATI card you can't get HD audio output.

Any info source I could monitor to check if or when ATI are going to update fglrx to support HD audio? I don't have a need right now for Blu Ray HD audio support, but I do need multi-channel PCM audio at 96kHz for my DVD-Audio rips. The sound is just perfect on Windows but I hate the whole Windows overhead and want to get back to Linux Big Grin
I compiled today, but I have still problem to play DTS HD MA. There are a lot of drop-outs.
Other formats like PCM 48 kHz, Dolby Digital 2.0, Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, DTS 96/24 play OK.
See log (ZZtop)
http://pastebin.com/mF5exJWs

DDDamian's window version plays everything OK on the same hardware.
I can't help much with Linux-specific issues (gnif is the guru there) but just FYI, there are no more "versions" now that we've merged with master - my branch had diverged early on, but is now completely in sync with gnif's and master - all platform-specific code is now in master.

The choice of win or linux is obviously a personal one - the only code differences are those that must be platform-specific - the cores are the same for those two platforms.

For those with ATI cards - send them customer-support messages to update their linux drivers - who knows? they may respond Smile
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2012-05-15, 15:37)fat-tony Wrote: Any info source I could monitor to check if or when ATI are going to update fglrx to support HD audio? I don't have a need right now for Blu Ray HD audio support, but I do need multi-channel PCM audio at 96kHz for my DVD-Audio rips. The sound is just perfect on Windows but I hate the whole Windows overhead and want to get back to Linux Big Grin

Phoronix or maybe the ALSA mailing lists. As much as I hate to say it, I think it is just going to be easier to purchase an nVidia GPU. That'll also give you VDPAU support as an added bonus.

If you are curious, here's an alsa-devel thread regarding LPCM on fglrx: http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermai...42544.html

It is the predecessor to the Phoronix thread I linked in the first post. Essentially, ATI claims that they have released the needed information but no one has updated ALSA to compensate.

(2012-05-15, 16:13)P-I H Wrote: DDDamian's window version plays everything OK on the same hardware.

Looks like something with ALSA. Does this file play without issue via something like mplayer?

(2012-05-15, 17:06)DDDamian Wrote: For those with ATI cards - send them customer-support messages to update their linux drivers - who knows? they may respond Smile

It is worth a shot. ATI has been traditionally pretty shoddy regarding Linux support.
(2012-05-15, 15:26)wingrunr21 Wrote: Have you tried clearing all of your asoundrcs? Looks like you've got a few.

i have tried with no asound.conf .. all kinds of configs .... no luck. I'll be back to my arch linux setup.. its fast as hell - but until we get HD driver support.. sadly back to m$ . tnx for the help guys! keep up the good work!

dc.
(2012-05-15, 17:14)wingrunr21 Wrote: Looks like something with ALSA. Does this file play without issue via something like mplayer?

I have not used Mplayer that much.
When I used the graphical interface it played OK, but I think it used Pulseaudio and the reciever signalled Multi Channel PCM.

When I changed settings in XBMC and set the reciever to not handle DTS HD, XBMC played the file OK and the reciever signalled DTS. I suppose this is as expected.

It is a standard Ubuntu 12.04 installation.
XBMC is also straight forward, git clone, fixed dependencies, ./bootstrap, ./configure, ./make j2, sudo make install.
Because either fglrx or ALSA is not handling my ELD correctly I cannot choose any audio device. Will there be an option to manually set the device to be used like there was before the merge?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1101695
(2012-05-15, 18:51)P-I H Wrote:
(2012-05-15, 17:14)wingrunr21 Wrote: Looks like something with ALSA. Does this file play without issue via something like mplayer?

I have not used Mplayer that much.
When I used the graphical interface it played OK, but I think it used Pulseaudio and the reciever signalled Multi Channel PCM.

When I changed settings in XBMC and set the reciever to not handle DTS HD, XBMC played the file OK and the reciever signalled DTS. I suppose this is as expected.

It is a standard Ubuntu 12.04 installation.
XBMC is also straight forward, git clone, fixed dependencies, ./bootstrap, ./configure, ./make j2, sudo make install.

Yes, when you turn off DTS HD passthrough ffmpeg will decode the audio. You need to set mplayer to use the same ALSA device XBMC is using, not go through pulse. I would assume there's an entry in the preferences in the mplayer GUI for that. Otherwise, you'll have to use the command line.

(2012-05-15, 18:55)drivesoslow Wrote: Because either fglrx or ALSA is not handling my ELD correctly I cannot choose any audio device. Will there be an option to manually set the device to be used like there was before the merge?

http://forum.xbmc.org/member.php?action=...&uid=35001

Can you post a log? I think you accidentally posted the wrong link.
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AudioEngine testers - Linux only4