Universal Remotes that can Control XBMC
I'm looking for a whole home remote solution, meaning, a remote that I can take into each room and control every tv / xbmc install.

For xbmc, I have one windows install in my theater room, but the rest of the rooms in the house have the xbmc linux build.

I would prefer a touch screen like the logitech harmony 1100 if possible.

I'd rather not use my iPad, as that is always in use by the wife, same as iPhone.

I would consider the Sony S tablet as it has the built in IR, but am not too keen on switching between programs, one to turn everythign on, the other to control xbmc.

so, what are some options available that everyone uses?
Well the Logitech remotes are great because they do have an activity button, program up Watch XBMC and they'll switch on the tv, change channel to what ever you xbmc is connected to, and wake up your xbmc machine.

Now, one bad issue if using this remote all around the house is, it remembers that the tv is on if you started an activity, not a worry if you program some keys for power and channels.

BUT, it is dependant and programmed to one tv model for that activity. Meaning you'd have to have the same brand TVs throughout the house.

As for XBMC, the remote commands are the same whether Windows or Linux, so that's universal.
Any special key functions on one machine are just a case of copying the remote.xml file to each other instance of XBMC.

So the choice is yours.
Media Companion Dev.
Media Companion - Kodi / XBMC - Media Companion
With my current Logitech remote, I am able to set custom activities, like add one for watch tv in basement, Wat tv in bar, etc. so, I think that jumps that hurdle.

What sort of hardware do I need for the CPU to accept the ir signal from the remote?
How about offering some fruit to the wife?
(2012-05-20, 02:03)PatK Wrote: How about offering some fruit to the wife?

LOL! Rofl

But seriously.. the only addition to the PC would be an IR receiver. If you get a Windows MCE remote, they usually come with one, and they're fairly inexpensive. Then it's just a matter of fiddling in the Harmony software to tune it to your liking. I also use Event Ghost to control some custom commands not covered in the Harmony software.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
haha, the only way to bribe her would to take the newborn off her chest Smile

But, with all this info, I am really, really leaning towards the harmony now. She has used one before, liked it, and they just work. No programming (besides the walkthroughs), no flakiness, it just works.

with the linux install of xbmc, and the hardware being plugged in, will it just work also/ I'm a windows guy, so I'm used to have to install drivers and all that.

Last question. Can the logitech be programmed to start xbmc on a windows machine also? I'd like to have to avoid having to pull out the keyboard to start xbmc to then conrol it with a remote.
(2012-05-20, 03:42)dzirkelb Wrote: with the linux install of xbmc, and the hardware being plugged in, will it just work also/ I'm a windows guy, so I'm used to have to install drivers and all that.

Last question. Can the logitech be programmed to start xbmc on a windows machine also? I'd like to have to avoid having to pull out the keyboard to start xbmc to then conrol it with a remote.

Windows guy here also, so can't help you with Linux.

As far as starting XBMC with the Harmony - this is where i used Event Ghost. I mapped the xbmc.exe to my F5 key, and then programmed the F5 key in the Harmony app. With that I can set up an activity that starts XBMC, and it feels more like a set-top box. I also mapped various other keys too, such as shutdown and restart xbmc, go straight to movies, music, etc...

There may be another way to go about mapping functions to the Harmony using keymap.xml - but i haven't investigated those methods. I've been using Event Ghost for several years now, so i'm comfortable with it.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
Quote:Can the logitech be programmed to start xbmc on a windows machine also?
If you used Flirc i/r receiver (flirc.tv) then you wouldn't need to bother with drivers (as it appears as a keyboard. Then you could tell flirc to send ctrl+alt+x (or whatever shortcut combo you wanted) when you pressed a certain button on the harmony remote which would open xbmc

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
As long as your comp has an IR receiver, it will take the signal from any remote...as far as differences in operating systems...well that can be solved with some key mappings so that each button preforms the same function...you are looking at a high end remote however, no cheapies since you need it to connect to many devices,

I wont recommend one cause the market is always changing, but make sure it has enough memory for all of your devices (maybe with some to spare) a touch screen (for active help, programmable buttons, and easy device switching) and a rechargeable battery.
(2012-05-20, 04:27)thrak76 Wrote: [quote='dzirkelb' pid='1107268' dateline='1337478143']

As far as starting XBMC with the Harmony - this is where i used Event Ghost. I mapped the xbmc.exe to my F5 key, and then programmed the F5 key in the Harmony app. With that I can set up an activity that starts XBMC, and it feels more like a set-top box. I also mapped various other keys too, such as shutdown and restart xbmc, go straight to movies, music, etc...

There may be another way to go about mapping functions to the Harmony using keymap.xml - but i haven't investigated those methods. I've been using Event Ghost for several years now, so i'm comfortable with it.

Just use the xbmc properties to make F5 a shortcut and then program the harmony
(2012-05-20, 11:10)pseudo7 Wrote:
Quote:Can the logitech be programmed to start xbmc on a windows machine also?
If you used Flirc i/r receiver (flirc.tv) then you wouldn't need to bother with drivers (as it appears as a keyboard. Then you could tell flirc to send ctrl+alt+x (or whatever shortcut combo you wanted) when you pressed a certain button on the harmony remote which would open xbmc

Another +1 for the FLIRC.....it just works. I use it with my Harmony and it is SOOO much better than using an MCE receiver with LIRC.
Thanks for all the info guys. Picked up an 1100 for 180 on ebay, and the rf extendor for 35 on ebay also. My main HTPC has a built in IR receiver on the box itself, so I'll probably use that for now, and if that doesn't work, then pick up a FLIRC to play with. I'l eventually get a FLIRC on all PC's more than likely.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Universal Remotes that can Control XBMC0