• 18(current)
Linux AudioEngine testers - Linux only
I can confirm that before updating to the compiled build from git, using xbmcbuntu the ISO's loaded OK.

I noticed that when loading the ISO, it used a strange looking url "udf:%s%ssa% etc. etc. etc.", with my limited knowledge that would be the first place I look for causing the error. Maybe the url is to long, or whatever else, anyway I will post a debug log later.
Hi

Ive been testing xbmc with AE for a while now, today I compiled a new build from the latest source after not having used it for a couple of weeks. I was having troubles with no sound being bitstreamed at all (DTS, DD, DD TrueHD or DTS HD), the logs showed something to do with the ELD problem that seems to have been occurring but an upgrade to alsa 1.0.25 seems to have fixed that. Now however I am still experiencing the same problems as last time i tested AE. TV shows with DD work fine, as does most music, but Films with True HD or DTS HD just stutter and crash when playing. If I turn off DTS HD and True HD in the settings, then the films will bitstream the core DTS or DD track as normal, but only for about 10 seconds, and then the film starts buffering and stuttering and eventually crashing too. This same behaviour also occurs if I disable bitstreaming and use PCM completely, it will play for a short while and then crash out. The weird thing is that when I first started testing AE before it was merged with the master, i'm sure I didnt have these issues with the movies, at least not to the same level. Nothing has changed on my end.

I will try and provide a debug log from both watching a tv show and then a movie

Edit: heres a log Log

Its quite long but it covers starting xbmc before and after I installed alsa 1.0.25 i think. And then i watched the following with these results:

TV Show Dolby Digital - No problems
Film (The Muppets.mkv) DTS - No Problems occurred while watching
Film After switching on DTS HD and TrueHD - Immediate stuttering and crashing
Film after switching off DTS HD and TrueHD - Still crashed and stuttered
(2012-05-30, 19:00)d_hero Wrote: Hi

Ive been testing xbmc with AE for a while now, today I compiled a new build from the latest source after not having used it for a couple of weeks. I was having troubles with no sound being bitstreamed at all (DTS, DD, DD TrueHD or DTS HD), the logs showed something to do with the ELD problem that seems to have been occurring but an upgrade to alsa 1.0.25 seems to have fixed that. Now however I am still experiencing the same problems as last time i tested AE. TV shows with DD work fine, as does most music, but Films with True HD or DTS HD just stutter and crash when playing. If I turn off DTS HD and True HD in the settings, then the films will bitstream the core DTS or DD track as normal, but only for about 10 seconds, and then the film starts buffering and stuttering and eventually crashing too. This same behaviour also occurs if I disable bitstreaming and use PCM completely, it will play for a short while and then crash out. The weird thing is that when I first started testing AE before it was merged with the master, i'm sure I didnt have these issues with the movies, at least not to the same level. Nothing has changed on my end.

I will try and provide a debug log from both watching a tv show and then a movie

Edit: heres a log Log

Its quite long but it covers starting xbmc before and after I installed alsa 1.0.25 i think. And then i watched the following with these results:

TV Show Dolby Digital - No problems
Film (The Muppets.mkv) DTS - No Problems occurred while watching
Film After switching on DTS HD and TrueHD - Immediate stuttering and crashing
Film after switching off DTS HD and TrueHD - Still crashed and stuttered

looks like you're playing these all over samba. have you tried locally?
no i will try it this evening, but that wouldnt explain why it plays fine until you turn on dts hd, and then even after switching it back off it still crashes?
can you play over nfs? All my stuttering and other weird issues (like stuttering after fast forwarding) went away after i re-added the shares with NFS
I cant use NFS as my NAS is an HP Microserver running Windows, and I cant use the Unix subsystem for windows because I am running FlexRAID (Great software by the way) which as of yet does not support NFS and unix for windows
I had the a problem with ATI fglrx (catalyst 12.4) not providing the correct ELD data.
Instead of skipping the whole device I changed the code to continue and now there is SOUND again Laugh

Added the bug ticket + patch http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/13075

Not sure if ALSA can handle this stuff always but for now better than no sound at all.
You guys using Samba are probably going to have to mess around with some performance tuning to get it working properly. It looks to me like the underlying file system can't handle the bitrate that AE needs. I still find it unlikely this is an XBMC issue. The fact that switching to NFS made the problem go away further convinces me.

@gastar, ya that makes total sense. I would file a bug on the XBMC bug tracker. This is obviously an issue for ATI users.
HTPC: Gentoo linux amd64 w/ xbmc merged with AE
so does AE require a higher bitrate than not using AE? I thought that streaming the file to the XBMC device was the same no matter what, and that it hits AE after it has been received on the device.
I honestly don't know. I'm just taking a guess. AE may more aggressively buffer than normal XBMC since it has to handle significantly higher bitrate audio formats as well as > 2 channels.

The root cause is definitely that XBMC is not getting the data it needs. The question is, is this an XBMC issue or a Samba issue. Telling me "it plays fine on other XBMC devices" is not a good answer. We are troubleshooting that exact machine. Samba users need to see if they can play the video via mplayer. If they can, XBMC is the issue. If they cannot, Samba is the issue. I suspect Samba.
HTPC: Gentoo linux amd64 w/ xbmc merged with AE
The bitrate is the bitrate - AE needs what the bitrate calls for. In that regard it is no different than pre-AE.

There have been other reports of SMB issues since Eden, and I think that's what you're likely seeing. There is also a different caching scheme on the books, but it's not ready for merge.

Move a problem file to local storage and play - if it plays fine locally it's not AE, although it could still be XBMC and it's caching scheme.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
yes indeed you're right, i moved a 30gb blu ray rip to the local drive and it played, paused and fast forwarded etc correctly, with only light stuttering on resuming until my receiver locks on to the audio stream. Ive noticed copying files to the local drive over the network is extremely slow, the film i tested was transferring at about 3000KB/s, which i think is about 3MB/s. something is not right there, so maybe its the smb issues you mention. I have a gigabit network card to stick in the machine so I will see if that improves things to a good enough point to get it useable

However I have also tried to play a multichannel FLAC audio file, and that just freezes. 24/88 and 16/44 stereo files play fine but not the multichannels
There was a commit just made to fix a loop issue with SMB shares. You may want to compile from GIT again.

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/12d9...a58dcb764d
Bluray's can run ~8MB/sec, so you'll have issues for sure. If just copying the file was slow you need to look at network issues for sure.

Multichannel flac plays fine here - that sounds like a setup issue with your audio.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Hi, just wondering when AE is inplemented in stable release-for linux mint(now running Eden). I'm a noob and don't know much about compiling my own xbmc ;-)
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AudioEngine testers - Linux only4