need help troubleshooting initial remote setup
Question 
I've followed the instructions here:
http://code.google.com/p/android-xbmcrem..._and_later

...but I still cannot connect my Android phone to XBMC using the official app's 'add hosts' wizard. Is there an existing resource to guide me through troubleshooting? I'd hate to reinvent the wheel here, but I cannot seem to find existing guides.

FWIW, I'm running XBMC Eden on Ubuntu Precise Pangolin 64-bit (and I can use 192.168.0.101:8080 to connect via Chrome to XBMC on that Ubuntu box, just cannot get the phone to do it). My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S (Sprint Epic 4G) running Ice Cream Sandwich.

Code:
:~$ netstat --all | grep 9777
udp        0      0 *:9777                  *:*                                
udp        0      0 *:9777                  *:*                                
unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     9777

I'm perfectly happy with an 'RTFM' response, but would love it if such a response would include a link to said guidance. Many thanks in advance!
I know when i set the remote up for the very First time i entered all the settings and numbers to connect to the instance, it does its own little connection test, and fails. I tried again and again like 5 times but it kept taking me back to settings, to reenter numbers, next time i hit the enter button, it tried connection test, it failed, i quit the app and and re-entered it, and it was magically working.

Not sure if this will help you out or not but maybe it could help someone somewhere. So not entirely sure where to post this but hopefully anyone having troubles will read this here.

Good Luck
(2012-06-06, 20:40)Pop006 Wrote: I know when i set the remote up for the very First time i entered all the settings and numbers to connect to the instance, it does its own little connection test, and fails. I tried again and again like 5 times but it kept taking me back to settings, to reenter numbers, next time i hit the enter button, it tried connection test, it failed, i quit the app and and re-entered it, and it was magically working.

Yeah, I thought something like this might work for me, but alas. Still no connection. Undecided
I have managed to get mine working but with a few issues,

first i allowed port 9777 udp through my routers firewall and enabled upnp on my router. I then set the remote setting as per the guide you mentioned above. This worked to a point........
The problem i found was that since i am using ubuntu 12.04 everytime i restart the machine the remote stops connecting. I found out that since the ethernet connection was managed by network manager the MAC address kept on changing and hence so did the IP address the router issued on startup. I tried setting the network manager up to use static addresses but this didnt work either since the dhcp in the router assigns ip addresses based on the mac address sent to it.
This was annoying until i edited a config file in \etc\network\interfaces, this did not have the ethernet connection set up, which by default if its not in this file then it gets managed by network manager.
I added the following lines in this config file and rebooted the machine. Text in () are explanation of what the line does and should not be included in the config file.

auto lo eth0
(eth0 was missing by adding it here network manager stops configuring it)

iface eth0 inet static (this line sets physical device eth0 to use a static address)
address 192.168.1.64 (this is the IP address i wanted the machine to use)
netmask 255.255.255.0 (this is the default network mask for my LAN)
gateway 192.168.1.1 (this is the address of the router for internet access)
dns-nameservers 192.168.1.1 (this line makes sure names get resolved by the router)

Next i made sure the address i selected was not in the routers dhcp pool. Then i set up the remote as usual using address 192.168.1.64 as above and rebooted my computer.
The eth0 device was not visible in network manager which is good. But all network functionality still worked. Then i ran the remote to connect to the host and since then everything worked fine.

Regardless of how many times i rebooted my machine.

I am no expert far from it but going through this pain which was no fault of the remote application i was running on my galaxy s2 i may be able to help you if you can give me some information on what OS your running and how you have connected your computer running xbmc. You may just need to switch on wifi on your phone to get it working?

regards

Bazz
(2012-06-08, 21:31)BazzUK Wrote: I am no expert far from it but going through this pain which was no fault of the remote application i was running on my galaxy s2 i may be able to help you if you can give me some information on what OS your running and how you have connected your computer running xbmc. You may just need to switch on wifi on your phone to get it working?

Bazz, thanks for sharing your experience and offering to throw fresh suggestions my way. I have not yet tried the things you went through, though I can confirm that the problem isn't with the phone's wifi setting. I don't get 3G from inside my house, so I always use WiFi when I'm at home.

I'm currently running Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) 64-bit on my PC and Android 4.04 (Ice Cream Sandwich) on my Galaxy S (Epic 4G) phone.
Hey Cincinnatux
The setup you have mentioned above is exactly the same as mine as i described in a previous post so i am sure we can both figure it out between us.

regards

Bazz

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
need help troubleshooting initial remote setup0