• 31(current)
HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker
(2012-05-09, 22:39)Dilligaf Wrote: I think you got the : and @ swapped try...

<to>smb://<user>:<password>@192.168.1.64/</to>

Mike

GREAT! It works! Now I just need to clean up the database as it looks like he is rescanning the whole content and adding duplicates..
Thanks a million!!

/Christian
Hi there,

for the last year I used the lifehacker-solution for syncing the xbmc-database for a Windows7-PC and two XBMC live 10.1 installations on a second Windows7-PC. It is nicely working, but now I want to update all 10.1-Versions on XBMC 11 Eden. Is there a howto especially for this? Or can someone point me in the right direction on what I have to do? Do I have to start from scratch or can I "update" the database?
As for the XBMC live Clients, I figured that I have to reinstall the new XBMC live Versions.

Thanks

Edit:
Oops! I found the Info in the wiki: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...v10_to_v11

Does anybody know what it would take to sync actual XBMC user settings across multiple devices? I was thinking maybe a symlink to a mounted smb share. Has anyone tried this? I only use XBMCbuntu at my house, so I wouldn't think it would be too tough to mount a share at boot, put my userdata on the share and then symlink from ~/.xbmc/userdata to /mnt/share/userdata, but I was just curious whether anyone had tried this and how successful they were. I also have done a lot of setup for relatives who are setting up multiple boxes in their houses. We've done ATV2 jailbreaks and CrystalBuntu on ATV1 boxes, and I don't even know if those store data in the same place (the Home Directory source didn't contain the same thing in CrystalBuntu that it does in XBMCBuntu). It takes some time to reconfigure XBMC, whatever skin you like, populate your favorites, etc. It would be nice to only have to do it once, and then for changes to be reflected on all f them.

I realize a lot of his will be answered as I play with the other systems a little bit, and perhaps I coud do some trial and error on my own systems as well to see if it even works, I just wondered if anyone else had tried something similar and if they had an stories or tips to share.

Thanks!
XBMCbuntu 11.0
Zotac ZBOX Blu-ray HD-ID34
URC RF-20 (configured with Flirc)
I am having some trouble getting the sql database to work together, I am probably omitting something pretty simple. I have two machines an one atv with crystal buntu and one aspire revo with xbmcbuntu. I can see the database when I run show databases; in this case I named it bob60 and I am getting counts for each database part when running SELECT COUNT(*) from databasename.movie; SELECT COUNT(*) from databasename.tvshow; However when media is either watched, or paused/stopped I cannot resume it from the other machine. In my advanced settings.xml file I added:

<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.1.3</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
<name>bob</name>
</videodatabase>

Here is the Debug log for my revo with crystalbuntu
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=3041

Here is the Debug log for ATV
(Will be added shortly)

Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
I have followed the instructions from the first post of this thread (from the WIKI for XBMC 11) and I can see my content just fine and it it will play from both installs of XBMC on two different PCs but from both installs there are things that just do not work.

If I stop watching a show or movie midway through it never gives me the option to resume on either XBMC PC.

If I try to view movie information nothing happens on both installs of XBMC. If I try to view show information from TV Shows instead of showing the show information it plays the show.

If I mark a show as watched nothing happens. If I watch a show or movie it is marked as watched temporarily but the next time I view the list of shows or movies it is then unchecked as being watched.

Bookmarks do not work. I tell it to create a bookmark and nothing happens.

I tried running "Update Library" on Movies & TV Shows libraries and now I see two of every show and movie. Then I tried "Clean database" and it looks like something is working but then I still still both instances of my TV Shows and Movies when it gets done.

Any ideas? Here is my pastebin XBMC debugging log.

http://pastebin.com/YC7xFu5n
(2012-06-09, 21:01)b4pjoe Wrote: I have followed the instructions from the first post of this thread (from the WIKI for XBMC 11) and I can see my content just fine and it it will play from both installs of XBMC on two different PCs but from both installs there are things that just do not work.

If I stop watching a show or movie midway through it never gives me the option to resume on either XBMC PC.

If I try to view movie information nothing happens on both installs of XBMC. If I try to view show information from TV Shows instead of showing the show information it plays the show.

If I mark a show as watched nothing happens. If I watch a show or movie it is marked as watched temporarily but the next time I view the list of shows or movies it is then unchecked as being watched.

I tried running "Update Library" on Movies & TV Shows libraries and now I see two of every show and movie. Then I tried "Clean database" and it looks like something is working but then I still still both instances of my TV Shows and Movies when it gets done.

Any update on this? I am having the same issues!
(2012-06-09, 21:01)b4pjoe Wrote: I have followed the instructions from the first post of this thread (from the WIKI for XBMC 11) and I can see my content just fine and it it will play from both installs of XBMC on two different PCs but from both installs there are things that just do not work.

In your advancedsettings.xml file:

Code:
<substitute>
  <from>E:\root\Media\Videos\Movies\</from>
  <to>SMB:\\JOE-AMD64\Media\Videos\Movies</to>
</substitute>

Needs to be changed to

Code:
<substitute>
  <to>SMB://JOE-AMD64/Media/Videos/Movies/</to>
</substitute>
^^ all of my paths in the Source/xml file are of the smb:// format and I am still having the same issues as described b4pjoe. My logs do not have any errors.
(2012-06-18, 06:38)tboooe Wrote: ^^ all of my paths in the Source/xml file are of the smb:// format and I am still having the same issues as described b4pjoe. My logs do not have any errors.

Can you post the logs anyways, even if they're not showing errors? Remember to turn debugging on: debug log (wiki).
Not sure if this is useful to anyone/posted before but here is how I configured a client with read only access to the shared XBMC database (to prevent a particular client updating watched/unwatched).

http://g33ka.com
I had a problem with duplicates in the database and found it was caused by capital letters in the path in one sources.xml and no capitals in another sources.xml. Paths must match EXACTLY. Try making one sources.xml and copying it to the other machines, drop your database and rescrape.

Mike
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
(2012-06-18, 06:15)Ned Scott Wrote: In your advancedsettings.xml file:

Code:
<substitute>
  <to>SMB:\\JOE-AMD64\Media\Videos\Movies</to>
</substitute>

Needs to be changed to

Code:
<substitute>
  <to>SMB://JOE-AMD64/Media/Videos/Movies/</to>
</substitute>

Thanks, I will give that a try.
(2012-06-18, 07:00)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-06-18, 06:38)tboooe Wrote: ^^ all of my paths in the Source/xml file are of the smb:// format and I am still having the same issues as described b4pjoe. My logs do not have any errors.

Can you post the logs anyways, even if they're not showing errors? Remember to turn debugging on: debug log (wiki).

So I dumped my database and started over from scratch. The issues b4pjoe described are gone though the performance is very sluggish compared to the previous version of XBMC I was running. When I try to get to the Info screen, there is a 2-3 second delay. When I try to play a video there is a 3-5 second delay. Anyone else having delay issues?
(2012-06-20, 17:43)tboooe Wrote:
(2012-06-18, 07:00)Ned Scott Wrote:

So I dumped my database and started over from scratch. The issues b4pjoe described are gone though the performance is very sluggish compared to the previous version of XBMC I was running. When I try to get to the Info screen, there is a 2-3 second delay. When I try to play a video there is a 3-5 second delay. Anyone else having delay issues?

if i remember correctly if you are having a delay issue and have a central database for all your thumbnails on a networked place like a server this is what causes the delays because it has to connect to that networked drive to access the fanart and thumbnails a way to get around this is to create your thumbnails locally and then once everything is scanned in you can copy it to the other machine into the thumbnails folder

the delay for the video to start playing could be caused by either once again accessing a networked drive that has spun down because it was idle or if you are using wifi connection it could be a bandwidth issue and it requires some degree of buffering and also could be caused if your htpc is not particularly powerful

Quote:if i remember correctly if you are having a delay issue and have a central database for all your thumbnails on a networked place like a server this is what causes the delays because it has to connect to that networked drive to access the fanart and thumbnails a way to get around this is to create your thumbnails locally and then once everything is scanned in you can copy it to the other machine into the thumbnails folder

the delay for the video to start playing could be caused by either once again accessing a networked drive that has spun down because it was idle or if you are using wifi connection it could be a bandwidth issue and it requires some degree of buffering and also could be caused if your htpc is not particularly powerful

Thank you for the reply. I do not use my NAS for the thumbnails because of this very issue. I keep a copy locally on each device. I also only use SSDs. In terms of playing video, my NAS is set to never spin down. The machine I tested this on is hardwired to the same router the NAS is. Again, I didnt have these issues with the previous version of XBMC on the same hardware.
  • 31(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker1