Acer Revo RL70 XBMCbuntu playback
I've just bought an Acer Revo RL70 (AMD E450 Radeon HD 6320) and installed XBMCbuntu 11.0.

Unfortunately, any 1080p .mkvs I play are showing artifacts and tearing making them unwatchable. I've tried virtually all combinations of video playback settings in xbmc without success.

Has anyone else got this setup and is able to play 1080p ok? Can anyone offer advice as to what might be causing this? GPU acceleration seems to be working as CPU usage is only about 30%.

I've noticed that the AMD drivers that come with this are quite old, but I've had no success in updating them at all, as all of the instructions I've found don't seem to work, possibly because xbmcbuntu is subtly different to other setups.

Can anyone advise how to update the graphics drivers in xbmcbuntu?

As you can probably tell, I'm a complete newbie at all of this and had hoped that it would be a simple matter of tweaking a few settings and off you go...at the moment I'm about to throw the thing out of the window Sad

I've been reading forums for three days solid without finding the answer. Thanks for any help you can offer...I'm desperate!
(2012-05-17, 21:26)Rusky Wrote: I've just bought an Acer Revo RL70 (AMD E450 Radeon HD 6320) and installed XBMCbuntu 11.0.

Unfortunately, any 1080p .mkvs I play are showing artifacts and tearing making them unwatchable. I've tried virtually all combinations of video playback settings in xbmc without success.

Has anyone else got this setup and is able to play 1080p ok? Can anyone offer advice as to what might be causing this? GPU acceleration seems to be working as CPU usage is only about 30%.

I've noticed that the AMD drivers that come with this are quite old, but I've had no success in updating them at all, as all of the instructions I've found don't seem to work, possibly because xbmcbuntu is subtly different to other setups.

Can anyone advise how to update the graphics drivers in xbmcbuntu?

As you can probably tell, I'm a complete newbie at all of this and had hoped that it would be a simple matter of tweaking a few settings and off you go...at the moment I'm about to throw the thing out of the window Sad

I've been reading forums for three days solid without finding the answer. Thanks for any help you can offer...I'm desperate!

Hi can you tell me if you managed to solve this one? I got my Revo RL70 a few days ago, put win7 and xbmc on it, have updated all the drivers from acer and the graphics driver direct from amd so I know that cant be the issue. I also have a faint horizontal blurred band 3/4 of the way down when playing avi's. All the reviews say they can play 1080p no problem so its something that can be fixed I just havent found it yet Confused Can you let me know if you have?
Have a look here and wipe your Windows :-)
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
XBMCbuntu works good with the latest ATI drivers, follow fritsch HOWTO..was abit of pain to get the drivers updated 100% since nvidia interfere(!).
Also the latest version of OpenElec for Fusion works perfectly with the Revo 70, no need to update etc, works "out of the box".

Let me know if you or anyone else get the included remote to work.
I purchased one of these myself yesterday to whack XBMCbuntu on . All was going great until I tried my first 1080p.

Some of the settings in Fritsch post for XBMC config solved the issue without having to faff about with anything else.

So for anyone else buying one of these and whacking XBMCbuntu on it straight out the box, here's the changes I made to get 1080p running smooth.

In actual XBMCbuntu (log out of XBMC and into the Linux gui, ensure you choose XBMCbuntu as the gui to load when you log in)

Go into the ATI graphics control panel and enable the anti tearing option.

log out of XMBCbuntu and log back into XBMC gui (by doing this you ensure the it goes straight into XBMC on next reboot and not XBMCbuntu

Settings > video playback
auto detect rendering playback
enable vaapi hardware accelarion, disable the other.
sync playback to display
av/sync method = video clock (drop/dupe audio)

settings > system > settings (or something like that, sorry doing this off the top of my head)
vertical blank sync - always enabled

Once I'd got my settings as above, 1080p played fine both locally and over the wired LAN from my QNAP.
(2012-07-09, 14:11)emanon Wrote: XBMCbuntu works good with the latest ATI drivers, follow fritsch HOWTO..was abit of pain to get the drivers updated 100% since nvidia interfere(!).
Also the latest version of OpenElec for Fusion works perfectly with the Revo 70, no need to update etc, works "out of the box".

Let me know if you or anyone else get the included remote to work.

(2012-07-10, 17:22)ensignvorik Wrote: for anyone else buying one of these and whacking XBMCbuntu on it straight out the box, here's the changes I made to get 1080p running smooth.

Thank you for these - handy to note as I'm considering one of these Revo's and as they're AMD as opposed to Intel, experienced has differed a bit.
I bought my revo last week and have not managed to get 1080p 24p MKVs playing properly yet.

When i bought the unit, i installed the official XbmcBuntu and all my movies work fine but they dont play as 24p so look slightly stuttery on my projector screen, i have tried OpenElec and XBMCbuntu 12.04 with pre-Frodo, AudioEngine and XvBA backend and when playing 1080p movies, the picture jerks but if i check with debugging it shows that the movie is playing at a steady 24 fps, all my 720p movies play fine at 24p.

I have went into XbmcBuntu and ticked no tearing and it made no difference, i have tried on both an Epson Projector and Sony Plasma tv and its the same symptoms, i think i have went through every option and nothing has fixed it yet.

So i have gave up and installed windows 7 onto this revo until i can find a solution.

I would really like to ditch my sluggish boxee box and use this as my media server but cant do it until i get 1080p working with 24p.

Any help greatly appreciated.
I had to adjust the amount of memory assigned to video in bios. By default this is set to Auto. After setting this to (max) 512mb in bios 1080p plays perfect. So check your bios settings.
(2012-07-15, 19:42)emanon Wrote: I had to adjust the amount of memory assigned to video in bios. By default this is set to Auto. After setting this to (max) 512mb in bios 1080p plays perfect. So check your bios settings.

Going to try this out just now.

Hope it works.

Thanks.
Don't mix vaapi and xvba. Please follow the link I posted. It will explain the difference.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I tried XbMClive on my Acer Revo 3700 but found it too slow and resource hungry...
So I installed Openelec it plays everything I throw at it even 1080p over the network...

Hope that helps...
Openelec PVR in lounge 6tb of storage...
XBMC PVR on 27in I3 Mac in bedroom...
Ipad 2 running XBMC...

What more do you want...
(2012-07-15, 19:42)emanon Wrote: I had to adjust the amount of memory assigned to video in bios. By default this is set to Auto. After setting this to (max) 512mb in bios 1080p plays perfect. So check your bios settings.

My movies are working fine nowBig Grin

Cheers.
(2012-07-16, 02:44)daunjan Wrote: I tried XbMClive on my Acer Revo 3700 but found it too slow and resource hungry...
So I installed Openelec it plays everything I throw at it even 1080p over the network...

Hope that helps...

What build exactly did you use?
(2012-07-16, 02:44)daunjan Wrote: I tried XbMClive on my Acer Revo 3700 but found it too slow and resource hungry...

Hope that helps...

You my friend. Are a legend. Top tip.

Huge thanks, I was on the verge of getting rid of mine due to the problems with 1080p playback, but your tip solved it for me! Now I have a fully working XBMC with XVBA and HD and Life Is Good :-)

I've done this on the RL70 with Blu-ray and built-in TV tuner with a standard Kubuntu install and the special XVBA builds of XBMC from http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996, but most people may find it easier to just use the openElec Fusion builds from Pulse at http://packages.pulse-eight.net/

I've submitted details of the TV tuner to the Linux kernel DVB guys so that should be supported in a later kernel. Now just to wrestle with the IR and get it working :-)

John.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer Revo RL70 XBMCbuntu playback0