XBMC install Ubuntu 12.04 server
ok, I didnt want to do this because i know first reaction is "SEARCH you monkey!", but here's the thing, I have searched and searched and i cant come up with anything.

What I want is simple. I've installed Sabnzbd, sickbear, and CP on my zotac zbox id80 with a ubuntu server 12.04 64bit install. All of these are functioning great. I "sudo apt-get install xbc", it installs great. Here's where i go down hard. I've followed every guide i can find, every wiki, installed alsa a million times and cant find an nvidia drives based on the current guides. I was able to manually start xbmc from an ssh once, but i cant even remember how i did that. basically i'm pulling my hair out. I'm not an advanced linux user but i can follow instructions and do basic compiling. Please end my struggles. First order of bussiness is getting xbmc booting at start. thank you

thank youRofl
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc-standalone

For nvidia drivers:

Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

Just to clarify, there's a typo. Should be sudo apt-get install xbmc-standalone.

Not trying to be a pedant, just stave off replies about the command not working.
(2012-08-23, 06:18)pumkinut Wrote: Just to clarify, there's a typo. Should be sudo apt-get install xbmc-standalone.

Not trying to be a pedant, just stave off replies about the command not working.

Oops, thanks! Sometimes the fingers get ahead of the brain.
Thanks guys....do i need to add a repo for xbmc-standalone?

and before i break my whole install i'm assume i should remove current instances of xbmc before installing again?

EDIT: I realize now that you wrote only "xbmc-standalone" because the packlage xbmc was installed. After uninstalling it I figured out i needed to run "xbmc xbmc-standalone". I wish i knew where you are getting this info. Maybe i'm blind, but i can't find anything very comprehensive.
So after boot i'm now seeing

Code:
etc/init.d/rc: 150: /etc/init.d/rc: /etc/rc2.d/S20xbmc: Permission denied

any idea?
sudo chmod +x /etc/rc2.d/S20xbmc

Will make that file executable.
(2012-08-23, 05:18)cowfodder Wrote:
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmx-standalone

For nvidia drivers:

Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

So i wound up reinstalling the system. I followed these steps replacing this

Code:
for this
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmx-standalone

and installed nvidia drivers. Installs went fine but still no xbmc at boot. Where can i go from here?
(2012-08-23, 17:13)Mike8913 Wrote: So i wound up reinstalling the system. I followed these steps replacing this

Code:
for this
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmx-standalone
Did you actually enter: sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmx-standalone
or: sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-standalone ?
No, that's a typo. Sorry. I eventually figured this out though. My user wasn't executing startx. I still don't know why but I manually added it to login bashrc. Does that make sense? Idk, but it seems to be working now. I would have assumed the xserver would have started automatically but I was clearly wrong
(2012-08-23, 22:17)Mike8913 Wrote: No, that's a typo. Sorry. I eventually figured this out though. My user wasn't executing startx. I still don't know why but I manually added it to login bashrc. Does that make sense? Idk, but it seems to be working now. I would have assumed the xserver would have started automatically but I was clearly wrong
You may have to start it manually for the server edition?

I had a similar problem.
If you don't use a window manager you only need xbmc and not xbmc-standalone. The reason is that the starting script launches xinit with xbmc --standalone.
Xbmc-standalone seems to be only needed if you use lightdm etc.
(2012-08-24, 22:52)Kalanur Wrote: I had a similar problem.
If you don't use a window manager you only need xbmc and not xbmc-standalone. The reason is that the starting script launches xinit with xbmc --standalone.
Xbmc-standalone seems to be only needed if you use lightdm etc.

The description for the xbmc-standalone package says otherwise:

Debian Package Details Wrote:This package will install files that would permit to launch XBMC without
having a desktop manager

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC install Ubuntu 12.04 server0