• 9(current)
Xbmc freezes lock-ups when starting videos
(2012-08-10, 13:39)loyter Wrote: Hi There. I'm following this thread with great interest because I also have the same problem. What i don't really understand is why this thread isn't more active? It seems like no good solution is present atm ? U understand that wsnipex has a fix in a seperate PPA. But does this work if you use the downloaded XBMCBuntu? And if the fix is present, will it really take till the new release of XBMCBuntu in the end of this year till we get the fix? (I don't really understand why XBMCBuntu isn't included in the monthly builds :S). This highly discourages the use of XBMCBuntu. I really don't want to switch to XBMCFreaks version or openelec, but these crashes are highly annoying!

Is there anyone who knows how the isolate the VDPAU fixes from wsnipex to incorporate in XBMCBuntu 11? Is some kind of hotfix something we can expect?

I think my situation (New XBMCBuntu 11 install) is a pretty default one which more of you could have (I recently changed from XBMCLive because some plugins aren't supported anymore). Could someone explain what I should do best?

Thanks in advance.

Greets, Martin

Xbmcbuntu Pre builds use my packages, which are FernetMentas source. Openelec has backported some of the new code to Eden, which makes it not comparable to standard Eden anymore.
Do not expect a fix in Eden, its really very complicated.

So you have 3 options:
1.) use what you have and live with the issues
2.) upgrade to a nightly with the vdpau code rewrite: my ppa, Xbmcbuntu pre, OpenElec (Pre)
3.) use windows

(2012-08-10, 14:03)wsnipex Wrote: Xbmcbuntu Pre builds use my packages, which are FernetMentas source. Openelec has backported some of the new code to Eden, which makes it not comparable to standard Eden anymore.
Do not expect a fix in Eden, its really very complicated.

So you have 3 options:
1.) use what you have and live with the issues
2.) upgrade to a nightly with the vdpau code rewrite: my ppa, Xbmcbuntu pre, OpenElec (Pre)
3.) use windows

Hi Wsnipex. Thanks for your explanation. Option 3 really is no option for me, so I guess i will be upgrading Cool

The XBMCBuntu- pre versions (ex. http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/xbmcbuntu-12-04-...y-release/ ) are usually Ubuntu 12. Because my current version is Ubuntu 11, do you think it's wise to try and upgrade or do I better do a new install from the ISO? ... Also keeping in mind that in December I (and a lot of you i think) I want to upgrade to Frodo what upgrade / update path is the best? Does your PPA keep closest to the main (Frodo) path or is the pre-version better?, or am I looking at a fresh install anyways?

Thanks again.
as I said: xbmcbuntu pre is using my packages, so xbmc-wise its the same as just using my ppa only.

I suggest the upgrade to ubuntu 12.04, as there are some strange things going on with oneiric and
because there are a couple of fixes in the new xbmcbuntu builds(apart from just ubuntu upgrades), its probably best to reinstall.

When Frodo becomes final, you can just remove my ppa and use the official one.
(2012-04-24, 08:16)crutzi Wrote: I used

do-release-upgrade -d

on a standard ubuntu 11.10. Not sure about XBMCbuntu though; it could work there too, but no guarantee...
I've also updated 2 Boxes that had 11.04 installed, just had to run do-release-upgrade twice (takes a while). For me 12.04 is really stable up to now, unlike 11.*.

That indeed helpet my situations to. No more freezing

Ty for the tip crutzi, and there was no problem doing this release-upgrade, everything worket as before

Regards Alf Tonny Bätz
I haven't had any time to follow this topic close enough so I have missed a bunch of messages here. What I would like to add is that 12.04 did seem to solve the problems, until some update recently and now XBMC seems to be back to it's old behaviour. I suspect it is kernel related because it appears to have started with me after a kernel upgrade.

The freeze behaviour is a little different now though. Instead of freezing and using the | key to go to windowed mode and back to fullscreen mode again doesn't snap XBMC out anymore. I have to shutdown the PC in order to get out of the crash. So it might not be the same problem, or it might have been worstened by a system update.

To make sure it is not something to do with my NVidia drivers again, I just added the x-swat repo and updated to their latest NVidia package. I will report back when I can and when I have been able to watch some media on the media center.

I don't think it is as simple as upgrading to 12.04 anymore...

After some trouble with installing the latest NVidia drivers through X-Swat (it appeared I also had nvidia-current-updates installed and this resulted in two nvidia drivers with different versions installed on my system). Anyway, now that I have 304.34 installed I can say that for me the current problems are not nvidia driver related. The system was playing a couple of episodes and after about the 5th episode of some series, XBMC froze. I will have to see if I can make it happen again and extract a logfile. Also, I am going to see if downgrading the kernel helps, just to pinpoint the problem.
As mentioned earlier in this thread. The issue was identified quite a while ago and is already fixed in OE 2 beta and some other repos mentioned here. There is a pull request to mainline and I am working on getting this merged into mainline.
(2012-08-31, 09:59)FernetMenta Wrote: As mentioned earlier in this thread. The issue was identified quite a while ago and is already fixed in OE 2 beta and some other repos mentioned here. There is a pull request to mainline and I am working on getting this merged into mainline.

That's good news, but how do I get that update to XBMCbuntu today? It did not get any XBMC updates ever since I installed it (I remember seeing only Ubuntu updates, no XBMC updates).
This particular bug kills the entire XBMC experience for our family.
Thank you.
Check out this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=134252
I dont know if anyone else has done this but I have a Acer R1600 and was having the freezing problem also. I logged out of xbmc and logged into xbmcbuntu, opened the terminal and added the x-updates ppa to update to the latest nvidia driver. You will have to do a apt-get dist-upgrade because the apt-get will report that the drivers have been kept back but after the dist-upgrade they will all install. So its

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

No sure if this fixes the freezing, only been testing for a few hours but no freezes yet.

Edit: Nevermind just read the post a few comments back :-P
Well the problem has followed me along to Frodo. I'm RC2 and I just had the same thing happen.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmc freezes lock-ups when starting videos3