Is Harmony Remote + XBMC awesome?
Hello all. I'm looking for any comments from Harmony remote owners about whether they like their experience on XBMC + Harmony. I currently use a mini logitech wireless media keyboard, which I find totally meets my needs, however others in my family are not so enthused, and do not find it an intuitive way to interface with XBMC, which I can understand.

Does anyone recommend Harmony remote for use with XBMC? I understand setup can be tricky, but I can handle that. Will the less technologically-obsessed members of my family find the Harmony remote a good way to interact with XBMC?

I am very appreciative for any insights. Thanks.
Yes. Yes it is. I have 650 and I love it. I set it as a PC remtoe i also own adn assigned other button for controlling my AVR and television.

Of course, if you don't have more devices other then a PC, it's not really worth it. I use mine to control TV, Blu ray player, receiver, HTPC, and cable box. I have an Ipazzport mini keyboard for any operations that require a keyboard. which i also love.

Yes, I found a couple commands to be a bit tricky at first, but these forums have a slough of people that are happy to help y ou out.

If you jsut need it for the ease of your family, adn don't require controllign other diveces, consider printing up this picture, taht contains a layout of the keyboard commands for XBMC:

@argh! Thanks a lot for the thoughtful reply. The JPG is really useful... that even taught me a new thing or two actually. I think the family members in question will simply find the thumb-click-click feel of the remote a lot easier to understand. And in fact, it sounds like we have a similar setup... I need to control the HTPC/XBMC, a blu-ray player, the receiver and TV, and probably the cable box although we don't watch much actual TV. Sounds like the 650 or whatever is the current equivalent will do nicely, since it works so well for you. Appreciate the info!
Happy to help!

Keep in mind that you will need an infrared receiver for your HTPC. I got mine by buying a VRC-1100 remote for a mere 1$5 , but if you contact Rosewill customer support and purchase a pretty good one for $7, plus a couple bucks for shipping. Just ask if you can order the IR receiver ONLY for the "RRC-126" remote.

If you look at my profile, you can see the issues I came across. Perhaps some of it can be of help to you.
I've been considering the Harmony 650 as well.

Also, you can pick up the RRC-126 right now at Newegg for pretty cheap. Got one just now for $15 shipped. It comes with that IR receiver that argh! just mentioned.

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShock...09092012_2
I use a Harmony One and love it (wireless keyboard as backup). I originally used it with an HP MCE IR Receiver, but now use it with a Flirc.

I can recommend a Harmony remote and you don't need to spend the extra money on that latest and greatest ones. You can pick up slightly older models fairly cheap on sites like eBay as well as the eHome receiver.
It CAN be tricky to set up but there is plenty of help available (too much help really).
See my post in this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=107715
If you get the right IR receiver you should have little trouble.
- click the link for my htpc build for the model numbers for the receiver which will work with Win or Linux.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
I really enjoy the usage of the Harmony One for my entertainment system. You can get the Harmonys to do just about anything.

There are cheaper refurbished remotes to be had on ebay. I had to replace my Harmony One recently (the dog used it as a chew toy!), and I found a like-new One for ~$70.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
My HTPC should be up and running tonight! I will have to give this a try, I bought a htpc remote from amazon and it works great (tested on old desktop), but I have a harmony 700...I'm gonna give this a whirl and see what kind of results I get!
(2012-09-10, 16:19)bznotins Wrote: I use a Harmony One and love it (wireless keyboard as backup). I originally used it with an HP MCE IR Receiver, but now use it with a Flirc.

how do you find the harmony one / flirc combo for lag?

I had a harmony One setup through my OrigenAE M10's VF310 VFD/IR and the lag was horrible. Currently using a Harmony 900. It's a little better however still has lag.

Cheers
(2012-09-10, 20:55)liquidskin76 Wrote:
(2012-09-10, 16:19)bznotins Wrote: I use a Harmony One and love it (wireless keyboard as backup). I originally used it with an HP MCE IR Receiver, but now use it with a Flirc.

how do you find the harmony one / flirc combo for lag?

I had a harmony One setup through my OrigenAE M10's VF310 VFD/IR and the lag was horrible. Currently using a Harmony 900. It's a little better however still has lag.

Cheers

I don't know how the unique VFD/IR impacts things, but I get no lag using the One with Flirc or the MCE Receiver. Once I set up the One to act like it's talking with an LG TV, and then customized buttons accordingly, it was a dream. When the One was trying to act like a MCE remote, I had tons of frequency/repeat problems with the Flirc. Switching away from that fixed it perfectly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is Harmony Remote + XBMC awesome?0