• 73(current)
New MythTV add-on using libcmyth
(2012-09-24, 09:26)PhoenixMage Wrote:
(2012-09-24, 08:49)cfetzer Wrote:
(2012-09-24, 01:36)janbar Wrote: dteirney, cfetzer,

Agreed too. Currently I am testing a merge of cmyth lib from tsp and cmyth lib from master branch of xbmc, which i done yesterday. I haven't yet commit, but many things seem good. I'll commit and push my work tomorrow. Should also merge changes from cfetzer. I am a newbie for git, so what would be the best practice to progress ?
I foresee also to develop the translations of "genre" for more languages. Actually they are coded in the client source (cf epg colors. I am french and all is grey in timeline because my mythtv is translated and probably some users have same issue).

janbar,
if you do not have any new features yet, it would be the easiest if we continue development on my fork. Cmyth is already rebased there, you have a few new features, and you don't need to fight with the project files any more. It should already work fine in windows and linux.
The necessary git steps would be:
  • Create the remote: git remote add fetzerch git://github.com/fetzerch/xbmc-pvr-addons.git
  • Get my code: git fetch fetzerch
  • Create a branch where you want to continue development (i.e. for the epg language) based on my master: git checkout -b epg origin/fetzerch
  • Commit you changes
  • Push them to your remote: git push origin epg
  • Go to the github webpage and file a pull request against my repository so that I can easily integrate your changes
And as long as tsp is still away I can then push new features and bugfixes to opdenkamp's official addon repo.

Oh and by the way: There are two more pvr related PRs for xbmc/master: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1455 (that adds back image support for recordings) and https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1456 (fixes recordings titles in the osd)
Cheers,
Christian

This is great guys. Is the issue with LiveTV ending at the end of a show or the slow time to first get a picture or change channel?

Appreciate all the great work.

Hi, I started a review of cmyth lib few days ago to learn the concepts. Then i merged my copy with master. Cfetzer have done before. My objective is to try to resolve these issues as soon as possible. First after merge, some issues relative to i386 arch and mythtv 0.25 are resolved. Second now i know where i should looking for to improve communication with the backend. Also i think tsp worked long time ago to improve it. I am not an expert but maybe i could help to find a solution.
(2012-09-24, 15:00)janbar Wrote:
(2012-09-24, 09:26)PhoenixMage Wrote:
(2012-09-24, 08:49)cfetzer Wrote: janbar,
if you do not have any new features yet, it would be the easiest if we continue development on my fork. Cmyth is already rebased there, you have a few new features, and you don't need to fight with the project files any more. It should already work fine in windows and linux.
The necessary git steps would be:
  • Create the remote: git remote add fetzerch git://github.com/fetzerch/xbmc-pvr-addons.git
  • Get my code: git fetch fetzerch
  • Create a branch where you want to continue development (i.e. for the epg language) based on my master: git checkout -b epg origin/fetzerch
  • Commit you changes
  • Push them to your remote: git push origin epg
  • Go to the github webpage and file a pull request against my repository so that I can easily integrate your changes
And as long as tsp is still away I can then push new features and bugfixes to opdenkamp's official addon repo.

Oh and by the way: There are two more pvr related PRs for xbmc/master: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1455 (that adds back image support for recordings) and https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1456 (fixes recordings titles in the osd)
Cheers,
Christian

This is great guys. Is the issue with LiveTV ending at the end of a show or the slow time to first get a picture or change channel?

Appreciate all the great work.

Hi, I started a review of cmyth lib few days ago to learn the concepts. Then i merged my copy with master. Cfetzer have done before. My objective is to try to resolve these issues as soon as possible. First after merge, some issues relative to i386 arch and mythtv 0.25 are resolved. Second now i know where i should looking for to improve communication with the backend. Also i think tsp worked long time ago to improve it. I am not an expert but maybe i could help to find a solution.

The slow startup of live tv might be something where dteirney could help us. I guess he also knows libcmyth quite well.
Thanks for the hard work, guys. Looking forward to testing the MythTV PVR in the ATV2 build.
cfetzer, Thanks for guide. All is ok and now i can pull request to you. br
I have built the zip addon from git://github.com/fetzerch/xbmc-pvr-addons.git and installed it on top of the pulse-eight install of xbmc. Is that not correct? Should I be using a different xbmc build? It just crashes xbmc with the following details in the log file:

19:42:56 T:139755002832768 NOTICE: PVRManager - starting up
19:42:56 T:139755002832768 NOTICE: initialize done
19:42:56 T:139755002832768 NOTICE: Running the application...
19:42:56 T:139755002832768 NOTICE: starting upnp server
19:42:56 T:139755002832768 NOTICE: ES: Starting event server
19:42:56 T:139754242815744 NOTICE: ES: Starting UDP Event server on 0.0.0.0:9777
19:42:56 T:139754242815744 NOTICE: UDP: Listening on port 9777
19:42:56 T:139755002832768 NOTICE: starting zeroconf publishing
19:42:56 T:139754576611072 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
19:42:56 T:139754568218368 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
19:42:56 T:139754402207488 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
19:42:56 T:139754410600192 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
19:42:56 T:139754360243968 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
19:42:56 T:139754576611072 NOTICE: Update Library Service starting...
19:42:56 T:139754559825664 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
19:42:56 T:139754576611072 NOTICE: service.libraryautoupdate: update timers
19:42:56 T:139754393814784 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--
19:42:57 T:139754393814784 NOTICE: StorageServer Module loaded RUN
19:42:57 T:139754393814784 NOTICE: StorageClient-1.1.0 Starting server
19:42:57 T:139754393814784 NOTICE: StorageServer-1.1.0 Storage Server starting /home/dxs/.xbmc/userdata/Database/commoncache.db
19:42:57 T:139754410600192 NOTICE: Artwork Downloader: ## Service - Run at startup: False
19:42:57 T:139754410600192 NOTICE: Artwork Downloader: ## Service - Delayed startup: minutes
19:42:57 T:139754410600192 NOTICE: Artwork Downloader: ## Service - Run as service: False
19:42:57 T:139754410600192 NOTICE: Artwork Downloader: ## Service - Time: :00
19:43:18 T:139755002832768 NOTICE: PVRManager - stopping
19:43:18 T:139754276386560 ERROR: PVRManager - Process - failed to load PVR data

This is on ubuntu 12.04 x64
With regards to the speed of startup, have you guys seen this:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1142760
@janbar: thanks, i've added your changes.

@Translucent: think you need a xbmc build later than mid september.

@stupiduglyfool: Thanks, actually I was looking for this discussion. I knew it's been around but couldn't find it in this thread.

Could some of you guys tell me how long channel switching takes for you (and what technology you're using)?
For me it takes sometimes up to 30s (dvb-s2). So it might be more than just this demuxing issue.
Mythbackend: 0.25
Capture: Hauppauge HD-PVR
SetTop: Vip-211k (DISH)

It takes ~15s to tune with the IR blaster. This is broke up as 2s for channel change script, 3s for box to tune (goes black after channel is selected for these 3s), and I guess the other 10s are used by xbmc or myth for buffering once the box has a not black screen.

Here is something I noticed though. If I tune it takes 15s as I mentioned. If I already have live tv going and I tune again while its still playing it takes ~35s. If I have live tv going and I hit stop and then tune, it is back to the original 15s. So if I'm about to change channels it is better for me to navigate to the channel I want in the guide, press stop, and then quickly press play. I save 20s when tuning by stopping first.

Sometimes live tv continues after a show and plays the next. Most of the time it stops and I have to press play again to watch the next show and I end up missing the beginning. Also, if I restart my mythbackend while xbmc is just sitting at the menu I will crash when I try and start live tv next. Notice I said restart not stop. mythbackend is running when I try and watch live tv. After the crash and reload of xbmc, live tv works.

I'm more than happy to compile nightlies and report back if you need. I am doing it anyway so I may as well provide feedback.
(2012-09-25, 23:00)cfetzer Wrote: @Translucent: think you need a xbmc build later than mid september.

Thx! I'm up and running having build from src. I also get the delay in channel changes but otherwise it seems to work ok. It's very rough on the edges as well, if the mythtv db password is wrong it just crashes xbmc entirely, I had to set the passwd manually in the settings.xml file before it would load without crashing.
(2012-09-25, 22:48)stupiduglyfool Wrote: With regards to the speed of startup, have you guys seen this:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1142760

Interesting. Using TS demuxer would be an improvement. In my case tme buffering for ffmpeg takes 2-5 sec. But longer duration is use to waiting first packet after query data: 10 sec.
(2012-09-26, 03:57)Aubrien Wrote: OS: Ubuntu 12.04

It takes ~15s to tune with the IR blaster. This is broke up as 2s for channel change script, 3s for box to tune (goes black after channel is selected for these 3s), and I guess the other 10s are used by xbmc or myth for buffering once the box has a not black screen.

Here is something I noticed though. If I tune it takes 15s as I mentioned. If I already have live tv going and I tune again while its still playing it takes ~35s. If I have live tv going and I hit stop and then tune, it is back to the original 15s. So if I'm about to change channels it is better for me to navigate to the channel I want in the guide, press stop, and then quickly press play. I save 20s when tuning by stopping first.

Sometimes live tv continues after a show and plays the next. Most of the time it stops and I have to press play again to watch the next show and I end up missing the beginning. Also, if I restart my mythbackend while xbmc is just sitting at the menu I will crash when I try and start live tv next. Notice I said restart not stop. mythbackend is running when I try and watch live tv. After the crash and reload of xbmc, live tv works.

I'm more than happy to compile nightlies and report back if you need. I am doing it anyway so I may as well provide feedback.

I'm seeing the same thing as above. I have a Ceton Cable card tuner. I switched back to mythfrontend for the time being because the stability for the wifey. Mythfrontend uses its internal player based on ffmeg and my channel changes are ~2-3 secs. No channel stoppage in between shows there either. Be willing to do some testing if needed. Maybe someone can see what they are doing inside their player to make channel changing efficient.

Kevin
(2012-09-26, 16:30)kburkart Wrote:

I'm seeing the same thing as above. I have a Ceton Cable card tuner. I switched back to mythfrontend for the time being because the stability for the wifey. Mythfrontend uses its internal player based on ffmeg and my channel changes are ~2-3 secs. No channel stoppage in between shows there either. Be willing to do some testing if needed. Maybe someone can see what they are doing inside their player to make channel changing efficient.

Kevin

I also use a Ceton Tuner and can confirm this... mythbuntu 2-3 seconds, xbmc sometimes up to 20seconds for a channel change and live tv does usually stop when a show ends.

Kevin,
What myth backend are you running? I am running the USB version of the Ceton card and it has been anything but stable, even just viewing from the backend/frontend server, live TV will stop with a "error opening jump program file" or "video frame buffering failed too many times" error. I am currently running a patched version of .025, but am trying to get .026 up and running to see if that fixes some of my issues. Its weird, sometimes I will watch tv all night without an issue, then other times i cant even get 2-3 minutes without mythtv having some sort of issue.

Thanks,
Krys
What about the part where I press stop right before changing channels? It makes it change faster by stopping live tv and selecting a different channel instead of selecting a different channel while live tv is already going. Is anybody else seeing this as well?
(2012-09-26, 17:15)allen00se Wrote:
(2012-09-26, 16:30)kburkart Wrote:

Kevin

I also use a Ceton Tuner and can confirm this... mythbuntu 2-3 seconds, xbmc sometimes up to 20seconds for a channel change and live tv does usually stop when a show ends.

Kevin,
What myth backend are you running? I am running the USB version of the Ceton card and it has been anything but stable, even just viewing from the backend/frontend server, live TV will stop with a "error opening jump program file" or "video frame buffering failed too many times" error. I am currently running a patched version of .025, but am trying to get .026 up and running to see if that fixes some of my issues. Its weird, sometimes I will watch tv all night without an issue, then other times i cant even get 2-3 minutes without mythtv having some sort of issue.

Thanks,
Krys
Mythbuntu 12.04
I was seeing the same thing. Go into backend setup, general, miscellaneous settings and increase your HD ringbuffer size, I think it is increments of like 4700. I picked the third increment and everything is working peachy. Just be careful not to set it too high cause then it will start using swap and could cause other problems. Also make sure you are choosing a vdpau playback profile if you have an nvidia chipset on your frontend.

By the way are you an ex LinuxMCE user? Name looks familar
(2012-09-26, 22:36)kburkart Wrote: By the way are you an ex LinuxMCE user? Name looks familar

LinixMCE... yup i suffered with that for a few years. Got tired of no one caring about the actual Media. All anyone over there wanted was telecom and home automation, and no one cared that the UI was fugly. Plus I got laughed at for saying someone should develop a remote for the iPad instead of that tablet thing... Oh well, if i can get this liveTV sorted out I will finally be content.

Thanks for the heads up on ring buffer, I will try that tonight when I get home. Did you ever see random pixelation too? I would describe it almost like a glitch every few minutes or so. Are you using the USB or PCI version?
  • 73(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New MythTV add-on using libcmyth8