• 3(current)
Why not WMC as backend?
Yeah I'm seriously doubting any end of WMC since it is the only system available that can access encrypted copy-once content from providers. I love having my HTPC + Ceton combined with WHS allowing any PC in the house (desktop/notebook/w8 tablet) to be able to watch any of the shows recorded (apart from copy-once stuff from premium channels....)
Nextpvr setup takes <10min. Live tv in xbmc via hdhr. Make sure you follow instructions and test w firewall off and on as that can cause issues. Even pulls guide data from schedules direct. I dont record w wmc. Only keep it for sports/news
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2012-10-17, 21:07)ebucha Wrote: I've been using WMC as my primary PVR for ~7 years. I also use Remote Potato and XBMC to access my recordings throughout the house and over the net. Contrary to what has been said, WMC is not "dead" quite yet. It is included in the upgrade version of Windows 8 Pro and available as a download for Windows 8 Standard. My hope is that after the Windows 8 launch, WMC will get more development time. Being a separate app should allow for easier updates and hopefully more features. If this latest bit of bad news from the FCC is any indication, WMC will be the only viable CableCard backend after ALL channels are encrypted and copy-once:
FCC Allows Basic Cable Encryption

The one upshot to the news is that cable providers will be required to offer IPTV streams of encrypted content. Perhaps this will enable more backends access to content.

While this is true, the clever TVServer people at MP are in the process of developing a workaround to include cablecard in MP TVserver. Progress is quite rapid and it seems like it will work. They've just announced on the their frontpage!
(2012-10-22, 08:30)benoire Wrote: While this is true, the clever TVServer people at MP are in the process of developing a workaround to include cablecard in MP TVserver. Progress is quite rapid and it seems like it will work. They've just announced on the their frontpage!
NextPVR also supports cablecard, and you can already use it with it's XBMC addons. Like MP, this is limited to channels marked 'copy-freely'.
(2012-10-17, 21:07)ebucha Wrote: I've been using WMC as my primary PVR for ~7 years. I also use Remote Potato and XBMC to access my recordings throughout the house and over the net. Contrary to what has been said, WMC is not "dead" quite yet. It is included in the upgrade version of Windows 8 Pro and available as a download for Windows 8 Standard. My hope is that after the Windows 8 launch, WMC will get more development time. Being a separate app should allow for easier updates and hopefully more features. If this latest bit of bad news from the FCC is any indication, WMC will be the only viable CableCard backend after ALL channels are encrypted and copy-once:

The one upshot to the news is that cable providers will be required to offer IPTV streams of encrypted content. Perhaps this will enable more backends access to content.

Ummm, no, it's Dead. It's being included as an Add-On sure, but it's never going to be developed beyond what it is, in fact it's been degraded backwards a little from the Windows 7 version.

It's a shame XBMC doesn't do PVR like Windows Media Center because it really is elegant and powerful. All this backend stuff the way it's done in XBMC is the reality of the situation but it sure is messy and confusing.

(2012-10-24, 23:16)Crimzin Wrote:

Ummm, no, it's Dead. It's being included as an Add-On sure, but it's never going to be developed beyond what it is, in fact it's been degraded backwards a little from the Windows 7 version.

It's a shame XBMC doesn't do PVR like Windows Media Center because it really is elegant and powerful. All this backend stuff the way it's done in XBMC is the reality of the situation but it sure is messy and confusing.

After setting up FortheRecord and NextPVR on my HTPC to try them it made me realise how much there is to a backend, I'm glad XBMC isn't taking the time to write their own.
It would take valuable time away from other things and would take much longer.
(2012-10-24, 23:16)Crimzin Wrote: Ummm, no, it's Dead. It's being included as an Add-On sure, but it's never going to be developed beyond what it is, in fact it's been degraded backwards a little from the Windows 7 version.

While I hate to admit it, I concur that WMC is more than likely D-E-A-D. It's just a slow painful death just like the Zune had. We (my family) used WMC on a dedicated box for a little over a year and I have to concur that the user experience is hands down the best in the HTPC/PVR market.

That said, the client-server model of MythTV/NextPVR/etc. is the _correct_ way to handle PVR functionality on a network. If WMC supported client-server (don't even get me started on the problems and limitations of "extenders") then I might not have given up on it.

As it is, I'm running MythTV 0.25 on a CentOS backend and I have a few front-ends sprinkled around the house due to this limitation with WMC. The one thing that XBMC cannot do in its current state that I need as a requirement in our setup is on-the-fly decoding/presentation of Closed Captions (see my other thread about this in the MythTV PVR support area). I have three people in my immediate family with varying degrees of hearing loss and the caption support is something that WMC did superbly and made it such a winner with my family.
(2012-09-06, 01:38)krustyreturns Wrote: That is really interesting, I knew about those apps but hadn't realized that they could solve this problem in a "remote" way (I wonder if it runs on a Fire...).

For that matter you can use xbmc to launch wmc, setup a recording, and jump back into xbmc when you are done. Essentially that's my solution for Netflix in xbmc, I use xbmc to go straight into wmc-netflix, and I wrote a little wmc add-on so that when I back out of netflix with the "back" button it pops you back into xbmc. It makes wmc feel like a netflix app.

So are you converting your recorded programs out of wtv format for xbmc? If so, what software are you using? If not, how do you handle the weird file names wmc uses for recorded files?

Can you share how you accomplished both launching straight into WMC-netflix and getting back into xbmc by backing out of netflix? I'm all ears! Smile
(2013-01-23, 21:22)debennett2 Wrote:
(2012-09-06, 01:38)krustyreturns Wrote: For that matter you can use xbmc to launch wmc, setup a recording, and jump back into xbmc when you are done. Essentially that's my solution for Netflix in xbmc, I use xbmc to go straight into wmc-netflix, and I wrote a little wmc add-on so that when I back out of netflix with the "back" button it pops you back into xbmc. It makes wmc feel like a netflix app.

So are you converting your recorded programs out of wtv format for xbmc? If so, what software are you using? If not, how do you handle the weird file names wmc uses for recorded files?

Can you share how you accomplished both launching straight into WMC-netflix and getting back into xbmc by backing out of netflix? I'm all ears! Smile

I wrote a very simple app for WMC. When this app runs, it immediately starts netflix and puts the netflix page over this apps (blank) page. Then it sits there behind the netflix page, and waits for when the netflix page closes, either because you backed out of netflix or closed netflix (it does this by sensing when its page becomes visible, this weirdness is needed due to the way WMC works). When it detects this, it shuts down WMC.

So if you use xbmc's advanced launcher to start the app, it starts WMC straight into netflix, when you back out of netflix, WMC shuts down and xbmc comes back up.

I actually ended up making the app more general so that, besides netflix, it can be used to launch most any WMC app/page, and give the same "backing out" behavior.

Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
(2013-01-24, 06:56)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-01-23, 21:22)debennett2 Wrote:
(2012-09-06, 01:38)krustyreturns Wrote: For that matter you can use xbmc to launch wmc, setup a recording, and jump back into xbmc when you are done. Essentially that's my solution for Netflix in xbmc, I use xbmc to go straight into wmc-netflix, and I wrote a little wmc add-on so that when I back out of netflix with the "back" button it pops you back into xbmc. It makes wmc feel like a netflix app.

I wrote a very simple app for WMC. When this app runs, it immediately starts netflix and puts the netflix page over this apps (blank) page. Then it sits there behind the netflix page, and waits for when the netflix page closes, either because you backed out of netflix or closed netflix (it does this by sensing when its page becomes visible, this weirdness is needed due to the way WMC works). When it detects this, it shuts down WMC.

So if you use xbmc's advanced launcher to start the app, it starts WMC straight into netflix, when you back out of netflix, WMC shuts down and xbmc comes back up.

I actually ended up making the app more general so that, besides netflix, it can be used to launch most any WMC app/page, and give the same "backing out" behavior.

Can this app be configured to launch specific wmc tv chans? I hate having to back out of xbmc for the two or 3 protected tv chans I watch.

edit* found this - http://mediacentercommander.codeplex.com/documentation

"C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaCenterCommander\CommandLineChannelChanger.exe" 35
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Quote:Can this app be configured to launch specific wmc tv chans? I hate having to back out of xbmc for the two or 3 protected tv chans I watch.

edit* found this - http://mediacentercommander.codeplex.com/documentation

"C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaCenterCommander\CommandLineChannelChanger.exe" 35

You can use the app to go straight into live-tv, but you can't set the channel it goes to. If you are only using WMC to watch a couple of channels I would block all the other channels in WMC so that at least when you start live-tv you are in one of the three (I think it always starts in the last one you watched). Using my app if you back out of live-tv, it takes you to the guide page, if you back out again it shuts down WMC.

For completeness, I should have mentioned that to launch WMC straight into live-tv or netflix can be done from the command line, the app I wrote is not necessary unless you want the back-button/exit behavior.
From the sounds of it, this app is what I have been looking for. Currently I use WMC as my front end and launch XBMC from it, but I really want to launch NetFlix and TV from XBMC.
Would you be willing to share your app?
(2013-01-31, 16:10)bernr Wrote: From the sounds of it, this app is what I have been looking for. Currently I use WMC as my front end and launch XBMC from it, but I really want to launch NetFlix and TV from XBMC.
Would you be willing to share your app?

I was originally going to release this program but lost interest when I started working on a wmc-pvr addon. But if you are willing to put up with its rough edges and give me feedback on what needs fixing (so I could maybe release it), I'd be happy to give you a copy. PM me if you are still interested and we can work out how to get you the program.
(2013-02-01, 20:35)krustyreturns Wrote: I was originally going to release this program but lost interest when I started working on a wmc-pvr addon.

Do tell....

IMPORTANT:
(2013-02-01, 20:42)bry- Wrote:
(2013-02-01, 20:35)krustyreturns Wrote: I was originally going to release this program but lost interest when I started working on a wmc-pvr addon.

Do tell....

There is a lot to tell. What specifically do you want to know?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why not WMC as backend?11