Win Frodo/EPG Problem
Did a clean install of Frodo and got MP working - beautifully, I might add! I did see in the announcements that the "channel up/down" buttons will be fixed in the next update to Frodo. My biggest question right now is the EPG - how do I get it to work?

I have MP set up on the backend to grab the EPG for the channels, but the channel list shows no information, neither does the "info" button when watching something. In addition, if I try to go to the EPG in XBMC, it freezes the system.

Any thoughts on this? I'll be happy to provide any info/logs that are needed. Thank you so much for your time/help!
Quick questions: Do you have EPG setup and working in MP? What country are you in? EPG's are notoriously (for me anyway) hard to set up in the US. Only WMC works out of the box, because MS paid up front for rights.
(2012-11-28, 15:30)tedbrock Wrote: Quick questions: Do you have EPG setup and working in MP? What country are you in? EPG's are notoriously (for me anyway) hard to set up in the US. Only WMC works out of the box, because MS paid up front for rights.

I have it set up on the backend - but I have no real way of testing it with anything else. I didn't install the MP frontend because the guide said I didn't need it. I'm in the US.

I can't say I've had the same experience with EPGs, though. Years ago, I used MythTV on Ubuntu for my HTPC setup and the EPG worked flawlessly...
I'm having the same issue, I'm in the US. I have the MP portal setup but I get nothing there either.

I'm not sure if my setup is correct, I moved from Media Center with dvblink and it was hard getting things setup.
But I have my qam channels and I have 3 analog channels where I can access cable but the only way I can change channels is with my cable remote but as tmeitner mentioned I have no channel info.

Any help would be appreciated.

Office: Google TV | Kodi 20.0 | Samsung 50"                         \  Movies: 2734
Master Bedroom: Google TV | Kodi 20.0 | Samsung 43"     \  Music: Artist 220 |  Albums 1001 | Songs 106995
TheaterGoogle TV | Kodi  20.0 | Samsung 75"                    \  TV Shows: 62 |  Seasons 218 | Episodes 3858
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are a number of topics on Media Portal forums about setting them up. I have not gotten it to work myself. I did installed the MP front end to help with diagnosis.

Here is what I know (or think I know)
The Over the air info doesn't work or isn't free. Either way I have not read anywhere how to get the info OTA
The easiest solution as stated by many is schedules direct ($25 a year but they are a non-profit, so I would assume the money goes towards making a better product) http://www.schedulesdirect.org/
mc2xml looks like a lot of work to set up but is free. I am going to try this route since I enjoy making things work (except when they don't work, don't enjoy that) http://mc2xml.hosterbox.net/

I will post updates if I get this to work. I would suggest visiting MP forums, there are a lot of posts on getting EPG's to work in the US and almost none of them will make you feel warm and fuzzy.

Thanks tedbrock. I tell you I was ready to give up on xbmc this morning, I've been working on this project for a couple weeks and I just a tv signal yesterday. It does get frustrating but as you mentioned I also like a challenge and making things work.

I'll post here if I find anything also.

Thanks

Office: Google TV | Kodi 20.0 | Samsung 50"                         \  Movies: 2734
Master Bedroom: Google TV | Kodi 20.0 | Samsung 43"     \  Music: Artist 220 |  Albums 1001 | Songs 106995
TheaterGoogle TV | Kodi  20.0 | Samsung 75"                    \  TV Shows: 62 |  Seasons 218 | Episodes 3858
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2012-11-28, 17:59)hoopsdavis Wrote: I'm having the same issue, I'm in the US. I have the MP portal setup but I get nothing there either.

I'm not sure if my setup is correct, I moved from Media Center with dvblink and it was hard getting things setup.
But I have my qam channels and I have 3 analog channels where I can access cable but the only way I can change channels is with my cable remote but as tmeitner mentioned I have no channel info.

Any help would be appreciated.

The EPG is the only real issue that I haven't seen any response to yet. If you're talking about changing channels with your XBMC remote - right now, you have to hit "stop" and then select a new channel. Or, you can bring up the OSD and change channels that way. In the beta announcement, they mentioned that they were working on fixing the channel changing.

(2012-11-28, 18:13)tedbrock Wrote: There are a number of topics on Media Portal forums about setting them up. I have not gotten it to work myself. I did installed the MP front end to help with diagnosis.

Here is what I know (or think I know)
The Over the air info doesn't work or isn't free. Either way I have not read anywhere how to get the info OTA
The easiest solution as stated by many is schedules direct ($25 a year but they are a non-profit, so I would assume the money goes towards making a better product) http://www.schedulesdirect.org/
mc2xml looks like a lot of work to set up but is free. I am going to try this route since I enjoy making things work (except when they don't work, don't enjoy that) http://mc2xml.hosterbox.net/

I will post updates if I get this to work. I would suggest visiting MP forums, there are a lot of posts on getting EPG's to work in the US and almost none of them will make you feel warm and fuzzy.

Interesting - thanks for checking in on that. I'll peruse the MP forums. I find that odd since MythTV worked so well back in the day. But I'll check with SD. I think I've used them in the past. Thanks again for looking into it!
(2012-11-28, 18:31)tmeitner Wrote: The EPG is the only real issue that I haven't seen any response to yet. If you're talking about changing channels with your XBMC remote - right now, you have to hit "stop" and then select a new channel. Or, you can bring up the OSD and change channels that way. In the beta announcement, they mentioned that they were working on fixing the channel changing.
I agree, I have not seen much on this either. With dvdblink there was a tool to get the channel info call "Guidetool" it worked great.
The setup with dvdlink and MP are similar.

(2012-11-28, 18:13)tedbrock Wrote: Interesting - thanks for checking in on that. I'll peruse the MP forums. I find that odd since MythTV worked so well back in the day. But I'll check with SD. I think I've used them in the past. Thanks again for looking into it!

I've also had issues with xbmc crashing when trying to bring up the channel guide using the MCremote. I think that's more related to the skin I'm using. Trying to bring up the guide I often hit the directional key but that often attempts to change the channel up or down.
This has been on tough project, good thing I work from home.

Going to see what I find in the MP forums, I'll use this thread for info updates if I find anything.

Went ahead and grabbed SchedulesDirect and the EPG works like a charm with it. Very pleased - even though I had to drop $20. I tried mc2xml and just couldn't get it to work for some reason. But SD is great!
(2012-11-28, 18:43)hoopsdavis Wrote:
(2012-11-28, 18:31)tmeitner Wrote: The EPG is the only real issue that I haven't seen any response to yet. If you're talking about changing channels with your XBMC remote - right now, you have to hit "stop" and then select a new channel. Or, you can bring up the OSD and change channels that way. In the beta announcement, they mentioned that they were working on fixing the channel changing.
I agree, I have not seen much on this either. With dvdblink there was a tool to get the channel info call "Guidetool" it worked great.
The setup with dvdlink and MP are similar.

(2012-11-28, 18:13)tedbrock Wrote: Interesting - thanks for checking in on that. I'll peruse the MP forums. I find that odd since MythTV worked so well back in the day. But I'll check with SD. I think I've used them in the past. Thanks again for looking into it!

I've also had issues with xbmc crashing when trying to bring up the channel guide using the MCremote. I think that's more related to the skin I'm using. Trying to bring up the guide I often hit the directional key but that often attempts to change the channel up or down.
This has been on tough project, good thing I work from home.

Going to see what I find in the MP forums, I'll use this thread for info updates if I find anything.

Plus, some of it you just have to write off as "bugs" for now - it IS beta yet, after all. ;-) It'll get better/more stable.
Yeah!
I was able to get it to work using mc2xml
The good news is that crashing stopped as soon as MePo had a guide that XBMC could find.

It was a little hard to set up but here is what I found:

follow this tutorial

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/User:ro...and_mc2xml

unfortunately, (for me anyway) the link to xmltv.dtd at sourceforge did not work. I was able to find it here supplement.xmltv.org/xmltv.dtd by doing a search online

I do not know if it matters but my xmltv.xml went into a folder under my username so I had to move the above dtd file to there as well before it would work.

Good Luck All.
This is good worked for me partially. I still have no idea what to do with the "YRYBY#1 on 2" This is one of the analog channels that gives me access to my cable box but no details, its very much like 1 channel that all channels have access to me house through.

What are you doing about your multiple tuners?

I am using the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 card. It has 2 hybrid tuners. I set them up as hybrid cards using the instructions on MePo page. Then I scanned both cards for channels. It was interesting a few channels only show up on one card. Are you getting "YRYBY#1 on 2" as a channel?

You can click on TV Channels on the left in MePo Tv Server Configuration

Then right click on the channel and click edit

Then right click on the name in tuningdetails and learn more about it's location and channel number

By the way, I am not using a cable box, only OTA terrestrial TV, so maybe someone else could be of more.
Ted
The YRYBY#1 on 2 is actually a connection to my cable box, when connecting to that channel via xbmc I can us that as a connection and change channels using the cable remote. so its very much like the way dvblink is setup. Its seems like a virtual satellite for acess to the cable box. This is how dvblink works you have a virtual satellite but dvblink also provides a guidetool that'll grab all the guide info and add it to media center.

I'm sure this is what I'm seeing I just have to figure out the rest.

OK Smile

Sounds like you are on your own unless someone else has experience with this.
Yes I agree. I have the hauppage HDPVR and a qam tuner. Qam channels no problem. I actually pickup more qam channels with xbmc than I do with WMC.

what I'm looking into now is how to have my IR reciever/blaster talk to my cable box for changing channels. It works in media center no problem

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frodo/EPG Problem0