• 5(current)
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
(2012-12-08, 19:14)basher Wrote:
(2012-12-07, 09:24)wizziwig Wrote:
(2012-12-06, 08:12)basher Wrote: What about "perfect" 24p under Linux? Is it possible with the GPU from QS77 chipset?

If you mean 23.976, no Intel GPU can do it over HDMI. Assuming you need audio bitstreaming, you'll have to live with some dropped or repeated frames depending on how close to 23.976 it gets (could be as bad as every 42seconds if it only does 24.0).

Yes, that was my question. I don't think think my Asrock330 can produce 23.976 with the Nvidia ION GPU. From my understanding Nvidia produce output very close to 23.976. What is the relevance of bitstreaming in relation to 24p? How does it affect the framerate?

If the goal is to get perfect 23.976, does i matter if the video is rendered by CPU or GPU?

I mentioned bitstreaming because if you intend to use it, you can't speed-up or slowdown the audio to match an incorrect 24.0 fps output. You either live with some repeated video frames or some dropped audio frames. If you don't need bitstreaming, you can let XBMC decode and resample your audio to PCM and adjust the speed to match whatever the video rate is (doesn't need to be exactly 23.976 now). I don't think the audio resampling solution would work for DTS-HD since there was no open-source decoder last time I checked.

Any more comments on noise levels of this device? Is the fan audible when using pure software decoding of 1080p H.264 or VC1 without DXVA hardware acceleration?

(2012-12-06, 16:29)spencers Wrote:
(2012-12-06, 10:52)Luvas uk Wrote: Looking good Spencers

Have you or can you test if it can stream Dolby True HD or DTS HD? if so how does it perform?

I don't have a receiver. It's just HDMI from the NUC to my television (Sharp Aquos Quattron).

Now if there's a way to test without a receiver let me know, as I'm sure I can easily get some Dolby True HD and DTS HD media.

In other news, I've mounted the NUC to the back of my television. The VESA mounts on my TV are probably 200x200, which doesn't work with the mount that came with the NUC (I presume 75x75 or 100x100). I improvised and used one of the screws that hold the back TV plastic to the rest of the TV. Works great, as I have an RF Boxee remote.

Looks interesting but how do you use the Boxee RF Remote in combination with the Intel NUC?
I think it's kinda too bad they didn't include a ir receiver on the front. That being said, the usb-cec adaptor would also work nicely with a nuc and av receiver http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/product...apter.aspx
(2012-12-09, 16:48)DaMarcus Wrote:
(2012-12-06, 16:29)spencers Wrote:
(2012-12-06, 10:52)Luvas uk Wrote: Looking good Spencers

Have you or can you test if it can stream Dolby True HD or DTS HD? if so how does it perform?

I don't have a receiver. It's just HDMI from the NUC to my television (Sharp Aquos Quattron).

Now if there's a way to test without a receiver let me know, as I'm sure I can easily get some Dolby True HD and DTS HD media.

In other news, I've mounted the NUC to the back of my television. The VESA mounts on my TV are probably 200x200, which doesn't work with the mount that came with the NUC (I presume 75x75 or 100x100). I improvised and used one of the screws that hold the back TV plastic to the rest of the TV. Works great, as I have an RF Boxee
Looks interesting but how do you use the Boxee RF Remote in combination with the Intel NUC?

I plugged the USB receiver that came with the remote into the NUC..
(2012-12-07, 07:01)spencers Wrote: Nice job!

After using mine more (openelec beta3 installed), I have noticed its overall more snappier than my old Acer Revo 1600.
The UI is much quicker. Boot time is extremely fast, especially after enabling the fast boot options in the BIOS.

Today I tested "the birds" 40mbit 1080p scene from Planet Earth. No stuttering or dropped frames AT ALL. Smooth as butter! Thoroughly impressed.

Not going to lie, I had my doubts before, during, and shortly after I purchased the NUC. I'm glad I made the decision to pick one up. It's small, low energy, very powerful, and quiet.

Thanks for the write up. I've been looking at one of these to replace the ASRock I used to have as a HTPC. Good to know things look promising.

Since I use mine mainly for watching anime, any chance you could run a couple 720p (or 1080p) 10-bit mkv's and let us know how those play?

Thanks.
(2012-12-06, 17:27)hamiltong Wrote: Upgraded BIOS, installed windows 7 ultimate + all updates (drivers, windows update, etc), running xbmc 12 beta 2, running netflix..
Have you try to playback blu-ray ISO, M2TS or BDMV files in 1080P video? Just currious to know how stable it is with DXVA2 disable in Frodo.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-12-11, 21:15)bluray Wrote:
(2012-12-06, 17:27)hamiltong Wrote: Upgraded BIOS, installed windows 7 ultimate + all updates (drivers, windows update, etc), running xbmc 12 beta 2, running netflix..
Have you try to playback blu-ray ISO, M2TS or BDMV files in 1080P video? Just currious to know how stable it is with DXVA2 disable in Frodo.....

I just got my NUC in today, 8gig ram with 120gb muskin msata ssd. Let me know what you want tested and i'll test it all.

Windows 8 Pro install.
(2012-12-14, 21:00)cbiggers Wrote: I just got my NUC in today, 8gig ram with 120gb muskin msata ssd. Let me know what you want tested and i'll test it all.

Windows 8 Pro install.
I would be interested in the general power consumption and the playback capabilities bluray mentioned.

Still wondering how this would compete with the Shuttle XH61V barebone: http://www.shuttle.eu/products/slim/xh61v/overview/
Its around 160 EUR + say 110 EUR for processor, (e.g. Core i3 3225) and has lot more flexibility...
(2012-12-14, 21:00)cbiggers Wrote:
(2012-12-11, 21:15)bluray Wrote:

I just got my NUC in today, 8gig ram with 120gb muskin msata ssd. Let me know what you want tested and i'll test it all.

Windows 8 Pro install.
Congratulation on your new NUC!

Thank you very much for the offer. I'm interesting to know how well it handles blu-ray ISO 1080P video and bitstreaming HD audio using XBMC with DXVA2 disable. If you have 3d TV, you can try it too. If it can handles all of these fluently, I might order one for my new home theater at the beginning of 2013.....

I have DXVA2 disabled, I'm watching The Dark Knight Rises bluray ISO. Full Uncompressed video. Its at about 34% CPU. I don't have it bitstreaming to an AVR though. I'll go pick my Denon up tonight after dinner with my parents. Its at my old house and I still haven't moved it.

FPS is 25.00 exactly and isn't moving at all. Its playing a DTS-HD MA track. Whats the point of disabling DXVA2?

I'll test bitstreaming tonight for you. Any certain movie / type of sound track?
(2012-12-15, 23:36)cbiggers Wrote: I have DXVA2 disabled, I'm watching The Dark Knight Rises bluray ISO. Full Uncompressed video.

Not wishing to nitpick - but nitpicking. If you're playing a Blu-ray ISO then it's not "Full uncompressed video"... Blu-rays use pretty significant compression (H264, VC-1 or MPEG2) - they don't carry uncompressed video.

Uncompressed 1920x1080 4:2:2 8 bit video at 24fps is approx 800Mbs. (600Mbs if you use 4:2:0 vertical chroma subsampling)

Blu-rays are sub 50Mbs 1920x1080 4:2:0 8 bit. That's quite a lot of compression to get there (more than 10:1)...

I think you mean video that hasn't been re-compressed?
I meant compressed like most people compress bluray disc to mkvs down to very low bitrates.
(2012-12-15, 23:36)cbiggers Wrote: I have DXVA2 disabled, I'm watching The Dark Knight Rises bluray ISO. Full Uncompressed video. Its at about 34% CPU. I don't have it bitstreaming to an AVR though. I'll go pick my Denon up tonight after dinner with my parents. Its at my old house and I still haven't moved it.

FPS is 25.00 exactly and isn't moving at all. Its playing a DTS-HD MA track. Whats the point of disabling DXVA2?

I'll test bitstreaming tonight for you. Any certain movie / type of sound track?
I'm very impressed with your tests so far. If it can handles Dark Knight Rises blu-ray ISO with DXVA2 disable, it should be able to handle all bu-ray file. The reason for disabling DXVA2 is because XBMC don't play nice with Intel iGPU hardware excelleration. Yes, pls let me know how it handle bitstreaming DTS-HD after you installed your AVR......

If you haven't setup XBMC for bitstreaming, you can check out this thread- Windows How to Bitstreaming using XBMC.........

(2012-12-16, 03:00)bluray Wrote:
(2012-12-15, 23:36)cbiggers Wrote: I have DXVA2 disabled, I'm watching The Dark Knight Rises bluray ISO. Full Uncompressed video. Its at about 34% CPU. I don't have it bitstreaming to an AVR though. I'll go pick my Denon up tonight after dinner with my parents. Its at my old house and I still haven't moved it.

I'm very impressed with your tests so far. If it can handles Dark Knight Rises blu-ray ISO with DXVA2 disable, it should be able to handle all bu-ray file. The reason for disabling DXVA2 is because XBMC don't play nice with Intel iGPU hardware excelleration. Yes, pls let me know how it handle bitstreaming DTS-HD after you installed your AVR......

If you haven't setup XBMC for bitstreaming, you can check out this thread- Windows How to Bitstreaming using XBMC.........

I'm watching Brave Bluray with DXVA2, i just installed the newest video drivers. my FPS is pretty stead at 23.85 and 10-20% usage, avf of 35mbit with trueHD audio with 0 drop outs. Is drop outs what I need to be looking for? Anything I can turn on to see anymore info that you would be interested in?

• 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)24