Zotac Zbox ID82 HDMI Sound?
I am totally lost at this moment. I hear several people on this forum which have the same Zbox like me having HD audio over HDMI. I cant get this working.

If i check device manager i see 2 devices named:

High Definition Audio device (realtek/amd high definition audio for SPDIF or the green stereo plug)
Intel R Display Audio (HDMI)

If i check the sound device below Windows 7 Control Panel i see this

If i open the settings from the Intel R Display Audio and i check the codecs there are no HD audio codecs listed.

If i check the setting for SPDIF i see HD audio codecs (DTS, Dolby Digital, WMA Pro Audio)

The only thing i have different with the others users is that i do not use any reciever between my Zbox and TV.

I have my Zbox directly connected through HDMI to my Sony KDL-26S3000 (yes i know its an old Sony TV).

So why the others have/can bitstream HD Audio over HDMI? Even zotac saying the HDMI supports HD audio. I readed the wiki, but thats all about the realtek drivers and settings. The realtek drivers only work for the SPDIF and green stereo plug port, not the HDMI port which use Intel R Display Audio.

I am confused HuhConfused

This is what i see in XBMC (Frodo RC1):

hi Oxize...

it might be a stupid question but... is your TV really capable of decoding DTS Audio? i kinda doubt that.
DD should be fine.

i guess you already set your Audio-Output withouth DTS and so on.
just to be sure if your TV gets any Audio?
I get audio if i select Audio output device "Directsound: HDMI - Sony TV (Intel® Display Audio" and DTS and all HD Audio all unselected. If i select any of the HD codecs (DTS, AC3, Dolby Digital) the movie stuttering and no sound.

My TV isnt capable of decoding DTS Audio or Dolby Digital. I getting an new Sony Bravia Led TV in Spring 2013 which supports that.

But even if my TV isnt capable of using DTS, DD, AC3, your soundcard should have the HD audio codecs listed at the setting in sound control panel, like what you see at the SPDIF settings which i posted a message back. Intel® Display Audio doesnt show these codecs (or do these codecs show only up when you have an compatible device behind it).

Correct me if i am wrong

Have a look at that and disable output sereo to all speakers, definitely not needed for time being.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Win...udioEngine

I dont use windows + xbmc but the consensus it that link I posted fixes stuff.

uNi
The Intel Management Engine Interface driver was already installed. The codecs which stated on that link, you see only at the SPDIF driver, not the HDMI drivers.
Isnt there something in BIOS to enable HDMI on your machine?

I think there is something to be turned to auto so it kicks the HDMI into action. Im not familiar with the settings for your machine so have a peek.

uNi
@Universal: For your information. I can play video en sound through HDMI, if i disable every codec shown above. I hope somebody who owns an ID82 can tell me what drivers they use and compare their machine to mine.
It was worth a shot, Big Grin

Good luck

uNi
Found also an Audio Option named "Azalia" in my Zotac ID82 Bios.. It was set to auto. I putted it to enabled, but it doesnt change anything in windows.

Azalia IIRC was codename for Intel HD audio or something.

uNi
Do you think if i connect an new TV which can decode DD, the codecs will show up in windows? Intel says that the Intel R Display Audio is an 8-Channel HD Audio device over HDMI.

Verry weird this.
I don't see what the problem is here.

You are connected to a TV by HDMI which does not support decoding encoded formats like DTS, therefore in Windows nothing will be shown in the Encoded Formats box as the HDMI negotiated capabilities has shown to Windows your TV does not do these formats.

Since your TV only supports receiving 2 channel PCM via HDMI then disabling all those capable receiver settings is what you should be doing in order that XBMC decodes those formats to PCM for sending to the TV.
(2012-12-22, 16:10)jjd-uk Wrote: I don't see what the problem is here.

You are connected to a TV by HDMI which does not support decoding encoded formats like DTS, therefore in Windows nothing will be shown in the Encoded Formats box as the HDMI negotiated capabilities has shown to Windows your TV does not do these formats.

Since your TV only supports receiving 2 channel PCM via HDMI then disabling all those capable receiver settings is what you should be doing in order that XBMC decodes those formats to PCM for sending to the TV.

Ah that was i just thinking about. Wrote that just before you in my message back. That clarifies alot.

SPDIF is a dumb link so always shows what the capabilities of your PC are.

HDMI is a intelligent link, you may have heard of HDMI handshaking, what happens is that your PC talks to your TV to find out what formats it supports, Windows will then check if it also supports the formats then arrive at a set of valid formats for sending to your TV, so what is shown in the Supported Formats tab for HDMI is this agreed set of valid formats. Anything not supported by the TV will not be shown.

The capable receiver settings should only be enabled if you want to bitstream to the far end device for decoding there, since TV does not support decoding any of these they should all be left unset. This tells XBMC your TV does not support these formats so if it plays a files containing these formats XBMC will decode the audio to PCM.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac Zbox ID82 HDMI Sound?1