1080i and 1080p
Hi

Is there a way in the setup or in the files that I can force output to 1080i when I want to output this resolution?

The reason I want to do this is because my projector can only do Side By Side 3D when the resolution is set to 1080i@60Hz

In the resolution option, I cannot see a way to output in Interlace mode

Can I do it via SSH ? or is there a way in the menu?

Thanks for your help!
My XBMC isn't in Windows.. so I cannot change the resolution like we do in Windows.

It is the crystalbuntu version on an Apple TV Gen 1 with the crystal HD card
There's a way, but it requires manually editing some files. It might be easiest to ask/search this on the Crystalbuntu forums, as they'll have the exact specific steps you'll need to make: http://forum.stmlabs.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4
I did not get any reply on this topic on the stmlabs forums Sad
I'm also having the same issue. I recently got a BenQ W1070 projector, and it requires 3D half SBS content to be displayed at 1080i. When I go into System Settings -> Video Output, 960x1080 is not an option for a display resolution. Is there some other menu I'm missing that will allow me to change my output to 1080i? If not, will editing my xorg.conf allow me to do this? I'm running OpenELEC, but I assume that the solution will be common to both.

Thanks!
Scott
Anyone can help us ?

@scott : If you find something, please let me know Wink
... can someone give us a hint please.?
You've got to edit a file called "xorg.conf" and change a line to look like this:

Code:
Option "TVStandard" "HD1080i"

I'm not sure on the exact steps, because most of the posts I found on this were about using xorg.conf to use component output instead of HDMI, but it's basically the same idea:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=d...+xorg.conf
And then, how do I choose it in the XBMC interface?

I need to be able to choose between auto mode that choose the best resolution depending of the video played or to force 1080i output(only need is for 3D videos).
You don't. You have to edit the file to go back and forth.
(2013-01-09, 15:53)Scott87 Wrote: I'm also having the same issue. I recently got a BenQ W1070 projector, and it requires 3D half SBS content to be displayed at 1080i. When I go into System Settings -> Video Output, 960x1080 is not an option for a display resolution. Is there some other menu I'm missing that will allow me to change my output to 1080i? If not, will editing my xorg.conf allow me to do this? I'm running OpenELEC, but I assume that the solution will be common to both.

Thanks!
Scott

I'm in the same situation!

I'm using a RaspberryPi with Raspbmc with a Benq W1070

I found the way to set the resolution to 1080i by editing the file as follow:

Code:
sudo vi /boot/config.txt

#add the following lines:

hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=5

then reboot your device and XBMC is now set to 1080i.

When I'm reading a 3D SBS movie, it is showing only one image full screen and the BenQ info says: 3D format: Off

Does anyone got it working?
If u get it to 1080i and play the file u need to manually turn on side by side on thru the w1070

Thru 3d settings

I'm trying a way to do it also automatically at the moment u can change frame rate to 30 in xbmc and make sure that sync res to display is of or use 1280x720 also works

I have the w1070 also and 3d is great on it using sainsonic glasses

Denis
denist, I am looking into getting the w1070 as well.

I just realized that most dlp projectors in that price range only support over/under and frame packed at 1080p24
and half SBS is only supported at 1080i (could you confirm 720p for SBS, as the manual does not state that?)

Considering almost all scene releases are 1080p half SBS, what is the easiest way to view these in xbmc? Options are (I am not sure if all are possible or not):
1) Change output to 1080i based on filename containing HSBS (through advancedsettings?? not sure if possible)
2) Use an external player that automatically switches the output to 1080i (I think this can be done through advancedsettings based on filename containing HSBS)

Doesn't viewing 1080i half SBS mean the quality is reduced by 75% per eye??
Because by definition, half SBS means a 50% reduction in resolution (due to horizontal squishing). And interlaced also means a reduction of 50% resolution by alternating horizontal lines every other frame. So the resulting quality would only be 25% (per eye) of the original. Why on earth do these projector makers only support 1080i for half SBSHuh I understand the half SBS part, because that's the way they can use hdmi 1.3 for 3D. But the interlaced part makes no sense, especially when over/under is supported at 1080p24.
all i know is 1.4a standard is sbs only at 1080i

when i change in xbmc to 1280x720p 60fps then i can choose the 3d option in w1070 side by side...

or you leave it at 1080 and just change the fps to 30 instead of 23.97 and the options on the projector will show sbs and you can choose it...

my issue is that my pre pro wont pass the 30fps and its just a black screen....

so i have been swithcing to 1280x720p 60 fps as i dont know hot to get the 24fps in 1280x720p if it can be done....
you are right!!

I found the original press release from hdmi: http://www.hdmi.org/press/press_release.aspx?prid=120

It states the mandatory formats for 1.4a as

frame packing --> 1080p24 and 720p50/60
SBS --> 1080i50/60
Top/Bottom --> 1080p24 and 720p50/60

I guess it was dumb on hdmi's part that they have different mandatory standards for sbs and top/bottom, when they are extremely similar

EDIT:

Wait, I think I figured it out
The whole thing has to do with automatic switching.
Frame packing is automatically recognized by the display based on resolution (two side by side 1080p images plus a 40 pixel strip in the middle), so the display can automatically switch to 3d frame packing without user interaction.

However, SBS and Top/Bottom are not recognized as they are simply 1920/1080 res
In order to make it less complicated (single button press for 3D) they assigned 1080p and 720p to top/bottom, and they assigned 1080i to sbs. That way, when the display doesn't recognize the source as 3d, all the consumer has to do is press the 3d button once and the display will automatically switch to the correct mode judging by the resolution and frame rate (otherwise the consumer would also have to select the 3d format, sbs or top/bottom to get the correct effect)

Oh I wish they had assigned 1080p to sbs as it is far far more common (even youtube does sbs)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1080i and 1080p0