List which XBMC version a thread relates to
When searching for solutions to issues and such it can be difficult to determine what is current and what is obsolete information.
Eg: Solutions and methods could be refering to a Dharma solution that might no longer be relevant to Frodo. A Frodo solution may be invalid in Eden.
Some steps may no longer be necessary, some things have been changed...
This was particulary frustrating when I was new and trying to figure out the best way to get my remote set up. There were at least 3 'How-To's' and dozens of threads all of which advocated different methods. In the end it turned out I didn't need any of it! My remote simply worked.

Ideas:

Search Tags 'Eden' 'Frodo' 'Dharma'

Label or Prefix which XBMC posts are relevant to

Archive older posts no longer relevant

My main use of the forum currently is to give back a little help now and then when I can.
I still run Dharma because it works so I havn't 'fixed' it yet. At some point I will probably go staight up to Frodo when I get the time to play with it again. So I think new and old could all stand to benefit by improved organization of our forum.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
For issues people should be doing that manually anyway as apart of proper bug reporting. As for how-to's, I'd personally rather see more be moved to the wiki and encourage that over using forum posts for how-to's. The wiki can easily be categorized like that, and it allows anyone to update a how-to, and not just the original author.
great point
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
Granted, it would be neat to have some kind of little form to encourage that data to be entered. hmmm...
Wiki is a great tool but kinda linear.

One entry point then moving from that point, searching for specific stuff in a Wiki is a complete mess.

For example the how to's in the wiki misses some sub categories forced by the team to organize things.
Or a more manually edited entry point to organize this part but 300 or 400 How to's listed in one page when not being sure about the correct term to search is quite hard for newcomers and foreigners.
(2013-01-16, 09:17)Tolriq Wrote: Wiki is a great tool but kinda linear.

One entry point then moving from that point, searching for specific stuff in a Wiki is a complete mess.

For example the how to's in the wiki misses some sub categories forced by the team to organize things.
Or a more manually edited entry point to organize this part but 300 or 400 How to's listed in one page when not being sure about the correct term to search is quite hard for newcomers and foreigners.

Anyone can add/create categories or create a category structure on the wiki. Categories work just like tags. It's something I've been meaning to get to myself, but haven't yet.

Eventually we'll even have dynamically generated pages that contain a link and a summary for each how to, that can be created by something like selecting various categories or key words. So you could cross reference "audio" with "windows" and "PVR" and find a list of just those how-to's. Maybe even filter out pages that haven't been updated in x number of days/months/years. It's just that I'm learning how to do a lot of this stuff for the first time as I go, and it's normally just me working on the wiki.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
List which XBMC version a thread relates to0