Rockchip RK3066 XBMC
(2013-01-29, 12:27)xbmk Wrote: Ten days ago, first XBMC builds with hw acceleration started comming out. They are available here:

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/android/

I've tried http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/andr...bi-v7a.apk on MK808 which has RK3066 CPU/Mali 400GPU and it works flawlessly.

Hmmmmm, i'll try and test it on my RK3066 tablet when I get the time.
720p video seems to play fine, but 1080p does not. So I'm not sure if H/W acceleration is activated?
It would be awesome if it worked with 1080p, it would certainly make it easier to choose a android stick since most of them have this processor.
No else has tried those firmware? That one has hardware acelaration? Im just asking because it doesn't mention that in the filename and there are others(the most recent one for example) that mentions hardware acelaration. The name might not mean anything or not be related to the issue, its just a thought
It plays 1080p, 24Mbps AVC h264 so I believe it would play mkvs.
(2013-01-31, 01:59)stewiegriffin Wrote: It would be awesome if it worked with 1080p, it would certainly make it easier to choose a android stick since most of them have this processor.
No else has tried those firmware? That one has hardware acelaration? Im just asking because it doesn't mention that in the filename and there are others(the most recent one for example) that mentions hardware acelaration. The name might not mean anything or not be related to the issue, its just a thought

I used this one:
xbmc-20130127-c34a6a1-android-hwaccel-armeabi-v7a.apk

Will test again with a .mkv. I only had .mp4 on my tablet.
(2013-01-30, 20:58)Nu7s Wrote: 720p video seems to play fine, but 1080p does not. So I'm not sure if H/W acceleration is activated?

(2013-01-31, 12:26)Nu7s Wrote:
(2013-01-31, 01:59)stewiegriffin Wrote: It would be awesome if it worked with 1080p, it would certainly make it easier to choose a android stick since most of them have this processor.

I used this one:

try apk with Frodo in the name, it worked better with same videos.
(2013-01-31, 13:48)xbmk Wrote: try apk with Frodo in the name, it worked better with same videos.

I tried the one you linked to first. It did not play 720p for me.
Btw, which devices are you using? a tablet with the rk3066 or something like a mk808?
(2013-01-31, 12:26)Nu7s Wrote: I used this one:

Thanks, I've tested this build on an SS808/MK808 (RK3066 chip) with mkv: h264 @ 720p video + DTS audio (over WiFi) - appears to work fine.

Had issues playing h264 @ 1080p (picture appears to 'break up' / audio plays fine - no chopping); same file plays fine using MX Player Pro for Android. I don't have many 1080p files so I can't add further detail right now.

( please note I've not worked on XBMC since 2005, these are just my observations playing around with the new Android builds )
XBMC Project Founder (Retired)
I don't have much 1080p stuff either, mostly 720p.
So you guys think its "safe" to buy the mk808 or other android stick with rk3066(im thinking about the mk808 like i mentioned) to play media? It will probably improve and get hw acellaration in the future?

Amlogic devices are not as common and the ones that i can find that ship to my country are more expensive. I was looking to buy a midnight box or the new version that is cheaper, but then the shipping cost is crazy and even though im using gift cards, i will then have to pay customs, so im looking to get a mk808 because its cheaper.
It's difficult to make a recommendation as I've not used my SS808 for very long, though it seems reasonable that XBMC's hw acceleration will continue to improve and given the hardware is inexpensive what's the worst that can happen? If an 808 (or better) with optical output comes along I'll probably be looking to upgrade but for the time being it's a very neat plaything!
(2013-02-01, 18:01)runtime Wrote: It's difficult to make a recommendation as I've not used my SS808 for very long, though it seems reasonable that XBMC's hw acceleration will continue to improve and given the hardware is inexpensive what's the worst that can happen? If an 808 (or better) with optical output comes along I'll probably be looking to upgrade but for the time being it's a very neat plaything!

There is a Minix Neo X5 with optical output, but it doesn't support 5.1, stereo only at the moment.
(2013-02-01, 18:04)xbmk Wrote: There is a Minix Neo X5 with optical output, but it doesn't support 5.1, stereo only at the moment.

Thanks, surprised that it doesn't support 5.1 over optical ootb (but given that Android is primarily a mobile phone OS perhaps not so surprising?); if the situation changes I'd definately like to pick one up.
(2013-02-01, 18:15)runtime Wrote:
(2013-02-01, 18:04)xbmk Wrote: There is a Minix Neo X5 with optical output, but it doesn't support 5.1, stereo only at the moment.

Thanks, surprised that it doesn't support 5.1 over optical ootb (but given that Android is primarily a mobile phone OS perhaps not so surprising?); if the situation changes I'd definately like to pick one up.

For me it's not a blocking problem, I use AV output for sound output when TV is off.
1080p does not play properly. 720p video and the menu's work great.

I wouldn't recommend getting any Android sticks. If you want a Android powered XBMC system, buy a Pivos.
I use a Raspberry PI and it's great.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rockchip RK3066 XBMC1