• 5(current)
Why not WMC as backend?
krustyreturns,

I'm going to throw my hat in the ring as being very interested in this. When I first built my HTPC, I went with Mediaportal for the TV Recording and GUI customization built-in. It's a great program but just not as active as XBMC and I was missing a lot of things I wanted. I also used Argus for recording for a while.

When Windows 8 came out with the $10 WMC upgrade, I went for it and couldn't believe how easy it was. My EPG downloads flawlessy (its a hassle with mc2xml, and I don't want to pay a subscription service for EPG data), It hasn't missed a recording yet, it wakes and sleeps with no problems.

I've heard good things about NextPVR, but frankly WMC works so well for recording, I'd rather help figure out how to get it into XBMC than try another recording backend.

If you need testers, you can count me in. I'm not a programmer so I won't be able to help with code, but I work with programers and can usually help troubleshoot where something went wrong. And if you're willing to share, I'd love to try your process for getting WMC's netflix working right. I can open directly to it no problem, but I have to close WMC to get back to XBMC. I don't know to get back in to XBMC when backing out of the netflix plugin.

I'm most interested in EPG integration and setting recordings rather than Live TV. I use an antenna for all of my TV and usually just use the TV's built in tuner unless I need time-shifting. XBMC plays WTV files fine, and there are already programs to rename them properly for XBMC's scrapers.
You might want to look at the SageMCTuner source main page her http://babgvant.com/blogs/andyvt/archive...lease.aspx if you want WMC to tune and record for you. If you want to see it in action try using NextPVR and the NetworkRecorder tuner addon to control SageMCTuner. Someone explained how this works here http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php?5...ation-Help You'll have to play with choices if deleting the wtv file if you want to continue with xbmc live tv and wmc clients.

Martin
(2013-02-05, 04:30)jrichards52081 Wrote: krustyreturns,

I'm going to throw my hat in the ring as being very interested in this. When I first built my HTPC, I went with Mediaportal for the TV Recording and GUI customization built-in. It's a great program but just not as active as XBMC and I was missing a lot of things I wanted. I also used Argus for recording for a while.

When Windows 8 came out with the $10 WMC upgrade, I went for it and couldn't believe how easy it was. My EPG downloads flawlessy (its a hassle with mc2xml, and I don't want to pay a subscription service for EPG data), It hasn't missed a recording yet, it wakes and sleeps with no problems.

I've heard good things about NextPVR, but frankly WMC works so well for recording, I'd rather help figure out how to get it into XBMC than try another recording backend.

If you need testers, you can count me in. I'm not a programmer so I won't be able to help with code, but I work with programers and can usually help troubleshoot where something went wrong. And if you're willing to share, I'd love to try your process for getting WMC's netflix working right. I can open directly to it no problem, but I have to close WMC to get back to XBMC. I don't know to get back in to XBMC when backing out of the netflix plugin.

I'm most interested in EPG integration and setting recordings rather than Live TV. I use an antenna for all of my TV and usually just use the TV's built in tuner unless I need time-shifting. XBMC plays WTV files fine, and there are already programs to rename them properly for XBMC's scrapers.

Great, I will let you know when I am ready for a tester for the pvr. As for the wmc netflix software, PM me and I'll get it to you, so long as you are willing to take it warts and all and give me feedback.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
Put me down as someone who desperately wants to see WMC supported as a PVR backend. I think there are plenty of other people who feel the same (my fellow Windows users, most likely!)

Short of an embedded tuner service within XBMC itself, I think this has the potential to be the quickest, easiest way to get TV streams into XBMC with free, no-hassle EPG data.

Really appreciate you taking the time to work on this, krustyreturns.
So a few have anounced their interest in this.

@ krustyreturns
Can you enlighten a bit on how is works? Maybe upload a few screenshots or youtube of how it looks/works?

I also am interested. The recording and scheduling features of WMC are VERY good. They do just about everything I could want. There are web interfaces for scheduling and viewing the EPG from MCE. That part should be relatively easy to code. Then, playback of WTV in XBMC. Does it work well? Can you turn on the Closed Captions embedded in the stream?

Also, I thought that using an XBOX as an extender for MCE allowed you to watch live TV streamed from the MCE.. I've never used an extender, so maybe I'm wrong.

However, if that's true, perhaps analyzing the network traffic from an xbox as extender can tell you how to control the streaming from MCE.
Bmn and twisty,

Thanks for the interest. I am convinced now.

Yes, there are lots of cool apps that let you schedule recordings and view epg with wmc. Since they all work with wmc's epg/rec service they will work with this addon too. As for being easy to code, well all I can say is that it wasn't easy for me. Playing back of wtv over xbmc works fine in frodo, you can try that out now. Check out whether close captioning works, I actually have not tried it and would like to know.

I thought of a few ways to pursue how to do live-tv, in the end I only found one that works to my satisfaction (and it will need a lot of testing). I didn't think of this xbox angle, but I wouldn't even know where to begin if I had.
(2013-02-06, 18:41)krustyreturns Wrote: Bmn and twisty,

Pfft!
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2013-02-06, 11:57)FIBO Wrote: So a few have anounced their interest in this.

@ krustyreturns
Can you enlighten a bit on how is works? Maybe upload a few screenshots or youtube of how it looks/works?

Good idea. I took these shots this morning. You'll have to take it on faith that this data is from wmc though Smile
1) a view of the epg
2) view of live-tv running. In this image in the background you see the server software running on another computer in my family room (the window is a remote login), xbmc is running on the computer in my office. So the live-tv stream is being taken from the family room computer's tuner (pretty cool IMO, wmc could never do that). Also note the server window leaves a lot to be desired. I need to work on its UI.
3) frodo start screen with recording info shown in corner
4) view of recorded tv files. Yes I have kids. Note that there is no show icon, one of many things I still have to do.
5) list of timers, i.e. shows scheduled to record.

watch gallery
(2013-02-06, 18:57)bry- Wrote:

Pfft!

? I wasn't trying to be offensive. I meant it.
OK. I've done my share of coding in a variety of languages. I'm willing to help however I can. If you want to contact me off the forum, send me a PM and I'll give you my email address.. however, I bet you can figure it out if I give you one tidbit:

They make the best competition to iOS out there. Some think they own the world. I don't work for the parent company, but I use one of their free email services.

:p
(2013-02-06, 19:12)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-02-06, 18:57)bry- Wrote:

Pfft!

? I wasn't trying to be offensive. I meant it.
Seeing that there is over 11,000 views for this thread proves there is interest in this feature.
ok, so I'm not into programming and languages or so but as I understand (also from this site), you kind of need to 'highjack' the backend programmes of WMC and make them work in XBMC....

For now it hasn't been done yet so other backend programmes (more accesible) are used, but most people stick with WMC because it runs so smoothly.

(@krustyreturns) managed that for the recording and EPG, but not for the live TV.

I also understand that actually you kind of start-up the EPG or recording programme from WMC in XBMC, but it's actually running parallel/separate?

So I'm wondering if it's actually a duplication of WMC with the XBMC looks what I'm (we are) looking for?
(2013-02-08, 15:54)FIBO Wrote: (@krustyreturns) managed that for the recording and EPG, but not for the live TV.

Just a suggestion, not sure if it has been thought of/brought up/possible, but what about bypassing WMC for live tv? Clicking on a program and linking that directly to the tuner/stream. This would allow you to use the xbmc buffer to pause live tv, and if possible you could have wmc switch channels(in the background) so that you could still hit record and it would start from when you changed channels.

(2013-02-06, 18:58)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-02-06, 11:57)FIBO Wrote: So a few have anounced their interest in this.

@ krustyreturns

Good idea. I took these shots this morning. You'll have to take it on faith that this data is from wmc though Smile
1) a view of the epg
2) view of live-tv running. In this image in the background you see the server software running on another computer in my family room (the window is a remote login), xbmc is running on the computer in my office. So the live-tv stream is being taken from the family room computer's tuner (pretty cool IMO, wmc could never do that). Also note the server window leaves a lot to be desired. I need to work on its UI.
3) frodo start screen with recording info shown in corner
4) view of recorded tv files. Yes I have kids. Note that there is no show icon, one of many things I still have to do.
5) list of timers, i.e. shows scheduled to record.

watch gallery

WOW! Hey krustyreturns, How you did that? Very interested in it. Smile
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why not WMC as backend?11