• 106(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi
Only different between my advencedsetting and official OpenElec is guires and new network cache. Rests is the same

(2013-02-28, 21:39)rbej Wrote: Only different between my advencedsetting and official OpenElec is guires and new network cache. Rests is the same

Yep. Just saying that people need to worry less about having an advancedsettings.xml file of their own. In most cases - because you've added sensible defaults to the system-wide file - it's simply no longer required.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
No more random black screen with new scheme buffering and patching. I found solution Smile

One more test and everything will be clear.

(2013-02-28, 20:22)LehighBri Wrote:
(2013-02-28, 16:40)rbej Wrote: Working perfect with this build. No out of sync.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1350100

Great... i'll try this tonight. What's the recommended way to do a clean install? Do I need to reformat my SD card and install from an .img file for some reason, or should I do what you have in most of your posts around removing guisettings.xml, etc etc.

Quick update. I tried that build with a clean install and am still getting out of sync video. I think the previous example didn't make it as apparent... see below for a new sample file that the video and sound get out of sync every time around the 14-15 seconds mark of playback starting. Can folks try this new sample I just uploaded? I can reproduce it on multiple rpi's with the update above.

New sample: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f03xceuz30a5ky2/QaGIB8Gue2

UPDATE #1: I thought it might be a vsync issue as my vsync setting was "let driver choose" vs. "always enabled". When I change it to "always enabled" and reboot, the audio/video still gets out of sync around the 14 second mark (whereas in VLC and XBMC Windows it plays back fine)

UPDATE #2: I then reformatted my SD card and reinstalled OE's latest r13388 from the .img file to get a nice clean new install and that also does not keep the audio/video in sync after 14 seconds in the clip above.

Thoughts? This is very frustrating.
@Milhouse, Rbej: Good to have it said, we are pulling in the same direction. It's always difficult to say which advice to give to unexperienced and experienced users at the same time (especially for tricky things like config files), and you are doing it well.

@LehighBri: In direct comparison, I can confirm that the sound passes faster (and too fast) with xbmc in comparison with vlc media player. The sound is moved foward in comparison to the image for about one second in your second example after some secoond. I didn't see this issue in any other file/stream, so it seams to be very special. Nonetheless, I hope this problem will be solved!
(2013-03-01, 03:49)hpbaxxter Wrote: @LehighBri: In direct comparison, I can confirm that the sound passes faster (and too fast) with xbmc in comparison with vlc media player. The sound is moved foward in comparison to the image for about one second in your second example after some secoond. I didn't see this issue in any other file/stream, so it seams to be very special. Nonetheless, I hope this problem will be solved!

I'm glad you were able to reproduce... I thought I was going crazy here. Maybe an XBMC dev like popcornmix can look into it per the sample I posted?
Updated Frodo Branch

- add new scheme buffering and stalling

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1350100

Does anyone know why the stock OE builds don't include a swap file? Rbej's builds run considerably smoother then the stock ones for me. I know the culprit is the Sabnzb-Suite addon, but since it's included in the OE repo I've often wondered why they chose not to enable it. With the stock build and stock Sab, my Pi (512mb) is stable but sluggish when it's processing files. With lsellen's updated Sab (working CouchPotato), it reboots if you try to play a file while it's downloading and processing (lowering GPU mem fixes the reboots). With rbej's last build with a swap enabled, top shows 3x more free memory and the UI is smooth even when Sab is doing it's thing. Are there any downsides to having a swap in setups where it's not really needed?
(2013-03-01, 14:46)spjonez Wrote: Does anyone know why the stock OE builds don't include a swap file? Rbej's builds run considerably smoother then the stock ones for me. I know the culprit is the Sabnzb-Suite addon, but since it's included in the OE repo I've often wondered why they chose not to enable it. With the stock build and stock Sab, my Pi (512mb) is stable but sluggish when it's processing files. With lsellen's updated Sab (working CouchPotato), it reboots if you try to play a file while it's downloading and processing (lowering GPU mem fixes the reboots). With rbej's last build with a swap enabled, top shows 3x more free memory and the UI is smooth even when Sab is doing it's thing. Are there any downsides to having a swap in setups where it's not really needed?

If swappiness is sufficiently low, then swapfile will not be touched unless you run out of memory (and would have crashed/rebooted).
So, with a low swappiness value, I believe it is safe (and correct) to enabled swap.

Looking at my openelec image:
Code:
cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

which is quite high. I'd bve interested if after running:
Code:
echo 1 >  /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

if your system still behaves well, as that should be a much safer (i.e. less sdcard writes) setting.
I give command

and i get value 1

(2013-03-01, 15:55)rbej Wrote: I give command

and i get value 1

I'm currently testing a image from sraue which doesn't have swappiness enabled.
If yours has it set to 1, then that sounds good.
Yes. My build with swap enable has value 1

(2013-03-01, 00:43)LehighBri Wrote: Quick update. I tried that build with a clean install and am still getting out of sync video. I think the previous example didn't make it as apparent... see below for a new sample file that the video and sound get out of sync every time around the 14-15 seconds mark of playback starting. Can folks try this new sample I just uploaded? I can reproduce it on multiple rpi's with the update above.

New sample: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f03xceuz30a5ky2/QaGIB8Gue2

I see the out of sync issue.
The video file is quite badly corrupted (lots of video and audio artifacts due to packet loss), which is obviously provoking the out of sync audio.
VLC displays the corruption, but maintains audio sync. It will take more careful study to work out exactly what happens to the timestamps (and so the sync) after the lost packets.
(2013-03-01, 17:31)popcornmix Wrote: I see the out of sync issue.
The video file is quite badly corrupted (lots of video and audio artifacts due to packet loss), which is obviously provoking the out of sync audio.
VLC displays the corruption, but maintains audio sync. It will take more careful study to work out exactly what happens to the timestamps (and so the sync) after the lost packets.

Thanks for looking into this. I agree that there are artifacts, but ideally it'd be nice to have the rpi play them back and handle them in the same manner that VLC and XBMC (windows) do where they keep the audio video in sync. I'm sure that's not an easy task to get to work in the rpi but really appreciate it!!

So if/when you may have something you'd like to test out, I'm happy to test on my end and produce even more samples if you need more examples to test with.
Hi,

great builds and thanks four your hard work!

I was wondering if you couldn't joust update first post when you release a new version.
it is really hard to find the latest one now @rbej

thanks again! :-)
If I've helped you, hit me with some points...

OpenELEC rTorrent Service addon HERE
Optimized remote.xml HERE

• 106(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi12