Problem playing iTunes .m4v protected movies
Question 
Hello,

I bought an HD movie from iTunes, I assume it contains DRM/HDCP (it complains about one of my monitors when played on the Mac) and when trying to play the movie in XBMC, it immediately freezes and after a few seconds XBMC crashes and restarts.

I am running OpenElec Intel x86_64 Version:2.99.4 (3.0 RC 4) on a machine with Asus P8H77-I board and i3 3220 CPU (through HDMI on Yamaha receiver and Panasonic projector, all should be HDCP capable).

Are there any problems playing iTunes protected content on XBMC?

Thanks.
yes, xbmc cannot handle corrupt files.
(2013-03-11, 13:42)barvaz Wrote: Are there any problems playing iTunes protected content on XBMC?
Just think about that sentence of yours - pretty much answers itself.
(2013-03-11, 15:51)da-anda Wrote:
(2013-03-11, 13:42)barvaz Wrote: Are there any problems playing iTunes protected content on XBMC?
Just think about that sentence of yours - pretty much answers itself.

Well, it does answer itself now, after I read between the lines of the snide answers.

I am not up to date with current DRM mechanisms and possible ways to circumvent them. I didn't know if the issue I am experiencing is due to a general issue with this type of DRM that hasn't been worked around yet or a specific issue caused by my hardware, configuration or some bug in the current version. Few years ago I could have asked the exact same question about CSS and I could have safely assumed that if my media center doesn't play DVDs, then it is probably an implementation bug...

A more constructive approach might have been to suggest me to open a feature request so XBMC doesn't just crash but instead displays an error message telling the user that it can't play protected content.

Thanks!
sorry for the lame answer before - but it's been ask endless times if XBMC can play DRM protected content, and it has been stated that it won't and most likely never will due to the fact that we're opensource and thus will never ever get official code/license to play DRM protected stuff. If at all, the only way for this to happen would be precompiled closed source addons (so called binary addons) that do the decryption magic - but those addons have to be created/provided by the content providers - we can't, and they most likely never will.

I agree that there should be some error message instead of a crash - no idea why XBMC crashes in your case. Do you have any log or dump? How does VLC handle the file - does it also crash or throw an error?
Had Apple granted XBMC a license to decode & play 'FairPlay' / iTunes protected content... Two things would happen... Firstly a mass exodus from from hell due to the mass outbreak of snowball fights... The second involves S.P.J. Grave being unable to grow grass due to the extremely localized tremors from his casket violently twisting in place at near the speed of light.
davilla: "...then all will be clear and everyone will go "hollysh**, I can't believe this happened"
Hi folks,

It's kind of clunky, but I configured XBMC to use Quicktime as an external player for iTunes content. The same DRM in iTunes works in Quicktime as well, so it can play movies/music just fine. For the actual media files, I copied the content I wanted to a separate drive, and renamed the directories/files so they would work for the XBMC scrapers.

It's less than ideal; even if you're used to using external players, you have to manually set quicktime into full screen mode each and every play, since there is no command line option to set it that way when spawned by XBMC ... now if only Apple would add that feature, this whole method would basically be equivalent to any other external player setup.
Don't buy DRM shit. That's all I can say.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I think maybe that could be phrased as "XBMC doesn't officially support DRM or other protected content." But I get the message.

XBMC does fine here just by having external player support. It's Apple that needs to provide a fix - (i.e., add more command-line options for Quicktime) such that it could perform as an external player as well as VLC and others people commonly use.

Actually I was close to figuring this one out - using a *.qtf text file that spawns quicktime _and_ enables you to set fullscreen and other options. In this scenario the "movie" file is in fact a qtf file that points back to the location of your iTunes content. Well, it worked great with regular movie files ... but, (you guessed it) won't work with DRM content. Apple keeps pretty tight control over their DRM ...
Sorry, I have to close this because the last three posters to this thread were automated spambots. However, it is unlikely that Kodi/XBMC will ever support DRM content like iTunes protected content.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem playing iTunes .m4v protected movies0