• 26(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC
(2013-03-29, 11:55)miljbee Wrote: When the remote sleeps and you press a key on it, there is an added delay before PS3BluMote gets the button code. Probably because the btlink state changes. I am not sure but it seems that this delay is longer if the remote is far from the BT dongle.

If the remote is awake, I never get any delay. Even when far from the BT Dongle (But I admit I haven't tried it outside !)

Finally, from what you wrote, I understand that you have a PS3. Have you tried to completely shut it down to be sure that your problems aren't related ?

Yes of course you cant have it working on 2 devices at the same time. It only works with the one that is currently registered with. I have unregistered it from the PS3, and only operate it on PC. Plus i have PS3 disconnected from Power so its certainly not based on that factor.

Additionally, on the PS3, it seems like the controller is on a continuous state of hibernation, and it responds immediately even if you havent pressed a button for more than half an hour. It almost seems like it works like an IR where it draws power based on keypresses (Well not really just joking, but power management is indeed better).

I also noticed there's an .xml profile for ps3 here on xbmc, so that means you can have direct internal functionality. Havent tried it thought to see how it behaves when hibernated. I like very much how blumote operates it has suited my needs and how it allowed me to use the ps3 remote on windows so i will continue to use it for a long time. Wink
(2013-03-31, 17:16)therock003 Wrote: Additionally, on the PS3, it seems like the controller is on a continuous state of hibernation, and it responds immediately even if you havent pressed a button for more than half an hour. It almost seems like it works like an IR where it draws power based on keypresses (Well not really just joking, but power management is indeed better).

Yes, it would be awesome if someone could find how to hibernate the remote the same way it's done by the PS3. But unfortunately, this hasn't yet happened.
From what I Have understood, there is two possibility :
1 - It's done by manupulating the bluetooth link directly (sniff mode). In this case, it would be possible only if Ms provide the needed API to do that, and I don't think it will happen. Perhaps it would be possible by writting a custom driver.
2 - The hibernation is entirely handled by the remote and the OS sends some special commands to the remote threw HID Feature reports to ask it to hibernate. I Have explored a bit this way, the problem is that the feature reports have a length of 12 bytes, and there are several feature reports. It seems difficult to find the good sequence considering the number of possibilities.

(2013-03-31, 17:16)therock003 Wrote: I also noticed there's an .xml profile for ps3 here on xbmc, so that means you can have direct internal functionality. Havent tried it thought to see how it behaves when hibernated. I like very much how blumote operates it has suited my needs and how it allowed me to use the ps3 remote on windows so i will continue to use it for a long time. Wink

Yes, XBMC supports natively the PS3 remote (that's what I have read. I haven't tried). But XBMC can't hibernate it. You can use PS3BluMote to handle the hibernation and use the built in XBMC Support at the same time. That shouldn't cause any problem.
Thanks to all XBMC contributors, devs, skinners, scripters, ... It's really an amazing piece of software.
HI there,

I came here just to try to solve a problem that is turning into nightmare to me.
I'm talking about the PS3 Remote that literally drains batteries (both classic and rechargable).

It seems that even if I'm not using my remote and XBMC is not running, the connection between remote and HTPC is active and so the batteries drain.

Reading a few pages looking for a solution I've found this link
http://ps3remotesleep.codeplex.com/

Is it what I'm looking for?

P.S.
I don't know how it is possible but I've friend that use HTPC+XBMC+PS3 Remote as I do and their batteries live for at least two months. My batteries? Not more that 4/5 days. Sad
If i use a command from inside xbmc or mpc-hc will it register? I need to set a shortcut for my screensaver, and a combination key that will invoke it manually. Then i need to set the pause button to space + the combination for the screensaver, so when i press pause on the remote, it will pause the video+invoke the screensaver. Is that possible?
Hi,

I have been trying to pair my ps3 remote with my windows 8 pc. I use a Logitech Bluetooth dongle that came with an mx5000 mouse keyboard combo. While my pc recognizes that the remote exists, it always asks for a key code to be entered before it will pair. At this point I am lost, regardless of how many times I enter this code into the remote, it never works. As far as I know there is no way to disable the key code in windows 8.

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks
I have been using a PS3 remote (SMK-Link PS3 Blu-Link) with PS3BluMote for a few weeks now and it works pretty well. I have some wierd wake up issues but it essentially works fine.

However, not one to leave well enough alone, I thought I would attempt to get the remote to work with XBMC natively. According to the map files, to do this, you look in XBMC.log and get the remote name and the key ids.

My remote does show up in the log:
22:01:58 T:4284 NOTICE: CJoystick::EnumJoysticksCallback : Enabled Joystick: BD Remote Control
22:01:58 T:4284 NOTICE: CJoystick::EnumJoysticksCallback : Total Axis: 0 Total Hats: 0 Total Buttons: 0

But XBMC doesn't think it has any buttons, and I can't get any key ids to show up in the log (I pressed lots of keys but don't see anything).

Any ideas? Does XBMC need focus to get the joystick keys? I'm pretty sure it had focus, but not positive. I have a two screen system, a toucscreen for automation and my tv for movies. There is no keyboard so ALT-TAB is out. Actually I have a key mapped in PS3BluMote to ALT-TAB so I can give xbmc focus for the remote to work.

Thanks -- Bob
A strange issue has appeared these last couple of days. On some occasions The ps3 blu mote shows the remote as disconnected, and the only way i have found to repair this is by either removing the blu ray remote form the devices on the control panel, and then re-pairing it, or if i go to remote properties and on the services tab, uncheck drivers, and then recheck them.

I think this happens when i exit XBMC and sometimes the application crashes. For some reason this makes the blu ray remote to appear as diconnected/offline. Weird?
(2013-03-04, 16:13)miljbee Wrote: Here is PS3BluMote 2.0.4 :
Download It !

This new release brings hibernation feature. Original features have been left untouched (Except logging !)

It can run while eg is running with the PS3Remote plugin. It won't affect the functionnalities of the PS3Remote plugin.

When PS3BluMote is running, it will receive all the keypress from the remote. Each time it receives a keypress from the remote, it will restart it's internal hibernation timer. Once the hibernation timer expires PS3BluMote will hibernate the remote.
When hibernating the remote, it will disable device connected/disconnected sounds, and restore them when the remote will be reconnected.

The method used to hibernate the remote is the same used in BDRemoteSleep and PS3RemoteSleep. If you are familiar with these tools, you know that this method might take some time (up to 20s). While the remote is being hibernated, neither EG nor PS3Blumote will be able to receive keypress.

To setup PS3BluMote :
If you are upgrading from a previous version, backup your settings before upgrading. The upgrade shouldn't affect them, ... but who knows !
To backup your settings, simply go to the settings screen of PS3BluMote, click the blue link to open the log/settings folder and backup the files you will find here.
Close PS3BluMote (right click in the system tray/Exit)

Extract the content of the archive to a folder
Make sure your remote is paired, working and not hibernated (press any key on it)
Launch PS3BluMote.exe

By default, Hibernation is disabled, because it needs the btAddress of the remote to work.
Open the settings (right click the PS3BluMote icon on the system tray then settings).

On the settings screen, the field BT Address should contain the BTAddress of your remote. If the discovery is still running, the field contains "Searching" and is disabled. In this case wait for the discovery to finish.
If the discovery process returns only one address, The bt address field will auto fill with that address, else, it will be blank, and you will have to use the dropdown to access available addresses.

Once a correct value is set for the BTAddress, the hibernation checkbox will be enabled and you will be able to check it. Once checked, Hibernation is active. If you left the default 3 minutes for the delay, your remote will be hibernated 3 minutes later if you don't press any key on it. The timer restarts to 0 if you change the delay.

Once the remote is hibernated, the Tray icon of the PS3BluMote App becomes light Blue.

Please Note that at the moment, PS3BluMote can work with only one remote at a time.
If you have several remotes connected, use BDRemoteSleep to hibernate them selectively.
If you change the vid/pid, you will have to restart the application.

It has been tested on Win7 x64 with and without the sp1, with the Ms BT Stack and Widcomm.
I only own the old remote so I have no idea of what will happen with the new one.

Full source code available on GitHub

Let me know how it works with your setup !

Yuo have made my life easier, now I have the perfect remote for my mediacenter.
Millions thanks to you and to Ben Barron!!!
Hello,
I've been using the PS3 BD Remote successful in combination with XBMC 12 & PS3BluMote 2.04 on my Windows 8 laptop, up until yesterday.

For unknown reasons the PS3 remote no longer connects.

Obviously I've tried changing the batteries, I even opened a second (different brand) package of batteries to make sure.
I've removed the device from my machine and tried reconnecting, but this only works if i'm repeatedly pressing a button.
If I just try to put it in pairing mode it occasionaly shows up, but then fails to connect.
Since today, I'm not even able to remove the device, it just says "failed to remove".

This remote is hardly 3 months old (model:CECHZR1E) and I've been careful not to drop it or anything.

I really miss the comfort of using my remote, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: other Bluetooth devices connect without problems, I use a Canon X-Mark bluetooth mouse which works like a charm.
(2013-05-02, 14:54)Kaleido Wrote: Hello,
I've been using the PS3 BD Remote successful in combination with XBMC 12 & PS3BluMote 2.04 on my Windows 8 laptop, up until yesterday.

For unknown reasons the PS3 remote no longer connects.

Obviously I've tried changing the batteries, I even opened a second (different brand) package of batteries to make sure.
I've removed the device from my machine and tried reconnecting, but this only works if I'm repeatedly pressing a button.
If I just try to put it in pairing mode it occasionaly shows up, but then fails to connect.
Since today, I'm not even able to remove the device, it just says "failed to remove".

This remote is hardly 3 months old (model:CECHZR1E) and I've been careful not to drop it or anything.

I really miss the comfort of using my remote, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: other Bluetooth devices connect without problems, I use a Canon X-Mark bluetooth mouse which works like a charm.

Hi Kaleido,

This happens to me all of the time - the way I work around it is to open up the charms bar (mouse to bottom right corner), click the settings icon and then "Change PC Settings" down the bottom. Select "devices" from the list on the left, then shift+click the PS3 bluetooth remote entry and click the remove icon (it's a minus in a circle). After then you can re-pair the remote and it should work again.

If you remove the remote from device manager it won't work when you re-pair it. Not sure what the difference is but this process works for me.

Good luck!

(2013-04-18, 07:17)rbroders Wrote: I have been using a PS3 remote (SMK-Link PS3 Blu-Link) with PS3BluMote for a few weeks now and it works pretty well. I have some wierd wake up issues but it essentially works fine.

However, not one to leave well enough alone, I thought I would attempt to get the remote to work with XBMC natively. According to the map files, to do this, you look in XBMC.log and get the remote name and the key ids.

My remote does show up in the log:
22:01:58 T:4284 NOTICE: CJoystick::EnumJoysticksCallback : Enabled Joystick: BD Remote Control
22:01:58 T:4284 NOTICE: CJoystick::EnumJoysticksCallback : Total Axis: 0 Total Hats: 0 Total Buttons: 0

But XBMC doesn't think it has any buttons, and I can't get any key ids to show up in the log (I pressed lots of keys but don't see anything).

Any ideas? Does XBMC need focus to get the joystick keys? I'm pretty sure it had focus, but not positive. I have a two screen system, a toucscreen for automation and my tv for movies. There is no keyboard so ALT-TAB is out. Actually I have a key mapped in PS3BluMote to ALT-TAB so I can give xbmc focus for the remote to work.

Thanks -- Bob

Hi Bob, I'm interested in this too - did you make any headway?
Can someone please post a settings.ini for the 2.0.4 please.
Is there a way to launch applications with the remote app? There is an EXE file for which I created a shortcut but when xbmc launches all shortcuts get disabled.
(2013-05-06, 20:33)navigates Wrote: Is there a way to launch applications with the remote app? There is an EXE file for which I created a shortcut but when xbmc launches all shortcuts get disabled.

Yes that interests me as well.
(2013-03-04, 16:13)miljbee Wrote: Here is PS3BluMote 2.0.4 :
Download It !

Let me know how it works with your setup !

Windows 7 - 64bit
Service Pack 1

It works like a charm!
I thank you so much for this BluMote.
In next few days I want to see if there's a difference with my previous experience with that damn remote that drains batteries.
If you have any suggestion, I'm here.

Thank you again.

(2013-05-06, 20:33)navigates Wrote: Is there a way to launch applications with the remote app? There is an EXE file for which I created a shortcut but when xbmc launches all shortcuts get disabled.

I'm not an expert and maybe I did not understand your question.
Anyway, using EventGhost (as I do) you can set a button on your remote that launches a particoular application.
For example I can tell EvenGhost (using a Macro) that pressing button "5" for a few seconds I can automatically launch PS3BluMote.

I use this program works pretty well, I have assigned
some shortcuts in PS3 BluMote to buttons for example for the GREEN button ( ctrl+shift+alt+B)
and then I went to HotkeyP to define that when ctrl+shift+alt+B its press it launches XBMC.

With HotkeyP + PS3 BluMote you have endless possibilities.

I hope it helps!
  • 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup Sony PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control to work with XBMC4