Barcode scanner to play movie
This Android application is for those people that have their DVD collection organised better than their XBMC library.

The idea is that the camera will scan a DVD barcode, look that up in a database* to get the movie title and then search the user's XBMC library to play the DVD.

So far we are just working through the XBMC docs and drawing up UI designs for the application.

I was just wondering if this kind of remote would be a good idea to make, if the feedback says it's not needed we will make another Android remote.

*Haven't found a database that has UPC codes and movie titles, any suggestions?
Hmm... just trying to picture the logistics of this: So I would have to get off my lazy ass, go to a shelf, locate the DVD case, grab my phone/tablet, and scan the case to start playback of the movie? I think grabbing the remote, while seated in my throne, and mashing a few buttons would be preferable.

If your movies and TV shows are scanned into the library, they are self-organized by views such as title, genre, director, actor, year, studio, country. With a properly programmed remote, you can jump to the section of the library beginning with a certain alphabetic letter. Far faster to locate an item via the GUI than manually locating a DVD case in your collection, especially if it's large. I suppose there might be some nostalgic or "gee whiz" appeal to handling a physical media to initiate playback, but I don't think the audience will be very large or interest in this novelty feature will be very sustaining.

I think a remote app that offers voice recognition to locate and play an item in the library is far more appealing... although I believe there already is such an offering. But maybe yours can offer some other bells-and-whistles to distinguish itself.
Thanks for the response, I see your point if you have a good remote it wouldn't take long to just mash a few buttons. Maybe the audience would be those that only use mobile remotes and not a physical remote with programmable functions.

Maybe it wouldn't be good as a full-fledged application, maybe a supplementary part of a full remote app?

We had two scenarios we thought it could help with though:
Checking to see if a movie is actually in the library quickly, e.g. Your in a shop and find a DVD you want to get but aren't sure if you already have it, scan it quickly and see if it returns saying it found it or not.
For people that have the dvd case closer to them than the time it would take to find it in XBMC.
With a mobile remote app, you can just swipe the screen to quickly scroll through your media collection to locate the item you wish to play. Some apps even offer different views, so you could, for example, use a view with multiple movie thumbnails per row, which greatly reduces the amount of vertical scrolling required to navigate through your entire collection.

Do a lot of people still go to stores to buy DVDs anymore vs. ordering them on-line? You would need to have your app regularly synch up with the XBMC library so it knows which titles you already own when you go to the store.

I don't know about other people but, for me, the only time I would have a DVD case in my hand is if I'm about to insert that physical DVD disc in the drive to play it... because that title isn't in my library (such as a rented or borrowed DVD), in which case, bar code scanning doesn't buy me anything.

I realize I may sound dismissive of your concept, but personally I don't see the utility of it beyond the novelty aspect.

Did you see my addendum to my previous post regarding voice recognition?
The voice recognition sounds good, did a search and found it is being actively developed by jblance.

I didn't think it would have to be synced to xbmc regularly as it could access it over the internet if user's allow it to, I may be wrong though, not used the network settings in a while.

I don't mind that you sound dismissive of the concept, I'd rather create something for xbmc that the user's would like to use rather than a novelty app.

If not this upc lookup service, what would you recommend we try to tackle that will be beneficial to the Android xbmc community.
(2013-03-21, 11:07)jakechampion Wrote: I didn't think it would have to be synced to xbmc regularly as it could access it over the internet if user's allow it to,

Sure, if your XBMC system is up and running while you're at the store. Smile
(2013-03-21, 11:07)jakechampion Wrote: If not this upc lookup service, what would you recommend we try to tackle that will be beneficial to the Android xbmc community.

I think I'll just shutup for now so I'm not monopolizing this discussion and you have an opportunity to receive input from other XBMC users regarding your concept. Smile
As a quick note I had a request long time ago to add same thing to Yatse.

After asking all around me to quite some people they had all the same reaction as artrafael, getting the dvd box to start a media is against Xbmc library that makes users rip them to a central place.

About the rental I'm also pretty sure this is the same all over the planet but lot's of store are closing Smile And a simple app with off line database with a search function like Yatse does the trick.

A bar code scan + find on internet the name of the movie + connect to Xbmc from Internet (Due to not so good security in Xbmc this is discouraged :p) and then search in it don't seems faster.
I think the barcode scanning portion is a better implementation for couchpotato

You go to the store, see the dvd/bluray of a movie you want (you purchase it :-), then scan the barcode and it sends it to couchpotato. By the time you get home, it's in your library.

For searching, google should return links from amazon for the movies. Other barcode scan apps do that.
Something like this to let me double check if I have a movie in my library and what quality i have already if it's there would be cool for when I'm digging through discount bins and don't remember if I have the movie or if it was DVD or bluray
Hi everyone.

Just came across this post and well, my dissertation from last year was to actually do what you're talking about. However, it needs a lot of work and I'm thinking about carrying on developing it after my exams. My real intention of making this app was to hopefully get someones attention and get them to implement it in a "proper" app.

You can check it out here: https://github.com/richrace/remoteapp + https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvWPEuktF3U

As I haven't worked on it for over a year, it doesn't support Frodo and I wouldn't exactly use it either. But I'd thought I'd let you know.
I do see a legitimate use for an add-on with Barcode/RFID scanner triggering playback.

You setup a pedestal near the TV/screen to place the physical DVD/BlueRay/Music case or representation (figure, card, etc..) on. The pedestal has a barcode and RFID scanner in it and once the item is placed on it, it will start playback of the relevant content.

1. This could then be used at a storefront for "preview" or "now playing" display.
  2. For kids when they place the representation, like a plush-toy which you can embed an RFID into, it will start playing the playlist of video's or songs that are relevant to that toy.
  3. Or for the elderly who are not too keen on having to go through onscreen menus with a remote control with many buttons.

It also prevents the "users" from getting full control of the system with the normal remote, but allows them to see/hear what they want.
Another way barcodes could be useful is an app that creates a booklet with a summary of each movie, a bit like a video store catalogue. You can browse this at any time or place, even sitting on the throne. When you find a movie you want to watch you scan a barcode in the booklet with the phone app, which starts the movie.

Some people just don't want to sit in front of the screen browsing their collection.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-05-11, 03:26)nickr Wrote: Some people just don't want to sit in front of the screen browsing their collection.

What are you talking about? That's half the fun Tongue

Sometimes we spend 2 hours browsing through the library, trying to pick a movie, watching trailers, then realize it's too late to start a movie and go to bed instead, lol (true story)
Yeah I know that feeling.

"What do you want to watch tonight?"

"I don't know what do we have?"

"Well..."
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Barcode scanner to play movie0