XBMC Hangs Network Sources
I am using XBMC 12.2 with MySQL as my database. I am using path substitution to share my Thumbnails/Fanart as some of my clients have limited hard drive space. The MySQL server is on a different computer from the XBMC clients. Some of my media is on the MySQL server and some are on different client machines. When a media source is not able to be accessed i.g. the computer is off XBMC hangs when you try to open it. It never reaches the "home" screen. A recommendation would be to allow XBMC to open even if sources are not avaiable but to notify the user that the sources are not available. Many times you want to access Internet content not specific media sources. Since XBMC is hanging you can not even access the Internet content. This would also allow you to use the add-on Advanced WOL to boot systems that have WOL capability. I am not sure if this is a bug or just the way XBMC works. I just thought I would point this out and maybe something could be done to solve this issue.

Thank you.

Michael
I have not experienced this. Define "network source" - there are various network protocols that xbmc can use. Also a debug log may help.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-05-12, 01:38)nickr Wrote: I have not experienced this. Define "network source" - there are various network protocols that xbmc can use. Also a debug log may help.

Network source would be media on a separate computer other than where the client is running. In my case I am using windows machines so the protocol would be SMB.
Windows does not necessarily imply smb, you could be using nfs or some form of upnp.

Anyway, I think we need the debug log of this occurring.

Also I think a server should be left on Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-05-12, 01:57)nickr Wrote: Windows does not necessarily imply smb, you could be using nfs or some form of upnp.

Anyway, I think we need the debug log of this occurring.

Also I think a server should be left on Smile

It looks like it might be hanging contacting the MySQL server wish would be one of the sources. http://pastebin.com/kEBEdbkK I agree Windows does not mean always SMB but in my case it is. I turn the server off to save on power and lower my electric bill. IMO this too should allow to be bypassed so you could access the XBMC home screen and use WOL or the Internet.
Perhaps you could consider either:

1. using something low powered like RPi that could be always on, to house your MySQL database.

2. Wake the server with WOL before starting xbmc? (I am not sure how easy this is to script on windows, it would be easy on linux). How long does WOL take from sending the packet to having MySQL available?

By the way that is not a debug log Smile
(2013-05-12, 02:27)nickr Wrote: Perhaps you could consider either:

1. using something low powered like RPi that could be always on, to house your MySQL database.

2. Wake the server with WOL before starting xbmc? (I am not sure how easy this is to script on windows, it would be easy on linux). How long does WOL take from sending the packet to having MySQL available?

By the way that is not a debug log Smile

I can't afford to purchase anything at this time until I'm able to get employed. Ugg the economy. Maybe a script would work, it take 90 sec or so for MySQL to be available. A better solution would be XBMC actually load then allow the Advanced WOL add-on to send the WOL packet thus solving the problem not only for me but I am sure for many others. This would allow users access to other add-ons that only require Internet access.
I would simply not use MySQL at this point.
If you do not have a server that is central and always-on, why are you using a centralised database ?

You obviously have several clients. Is it really not possible to have one of these client always-on and run a mySQL server ? This does not have to be resource intensive or costly (My server uses 15W under full load and is usually idling).
you can try nightly builds (wiki) and the new super duper WOL feature.
(2013-05-15, 02:45)Ned Scott Wrote: you can try nightly builds (wiki) and the new super duper WOL feature.

Where is the WOL feature in the nightly build?
I assume this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=124340
(2013-05-16, 11:38)Ned Scott Wrote: I assume this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=124340

Thank you Ned, I didn't know about this solution. I will look into it.
I also have the same problem, but with a little twist that WOL won't solve.
I also have a centralized server with my-sql, a WHS V1 with pma, which is not always on.
The real problem is that i configured my tablet (galaxy tab 3 10.1) to work with the server, but i'm trying to use it outside of the house it hangs. I want to use the database when available but also be able to use it for local and internet content when i'm not at home.
I realy think that media library should just be off if it can't reach the my-sql server and allow local and internet content.

also as for turning off the server when not necessary, i turn it off at the end of the day and wake it up when need or when i get back home so it's practically off most of the time.

I'm taking the tablet for a trip so i'm going to rename the advancesettings file until i come back
Use profiles, as mentioned on the wiki: MySQL (wiki).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Hangs Network Sources0