Movie poster/fanart arrangement
What is the fastest wat tot arange the posters and fanart of a large movie collection.
I don't want anything to be saved in my movie folders. Just the way XBMC handles it by default

Thanks
Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro, Nvidia Shield 2015
I don't understand the question. If you don't want anything saved in the movie folders, then the fastest way to handle artwork is to simply let XBMC download artwork like it normally does.
I have no idea what you want to hear.

XBMC stores fanart locally in your thumbnail cache, so it speeds up after you navigate the interface for a while.
However, whenever you start over everything would need to rescraped again.
This can be sped up enormously by exporting your library to seperate files which can save hours when rescraping a larger movie collection, but you seem intent not to do this.

Basically, if you do not want them in the movie folders, you can't 'arrange' anything as the posters and fanart URLs are only in the database.
Thanks for the reply guys, i see i did not explain it well enough.

Kibje, indeed i do not backup anything after a format. I don't know what files to backup (raspberry Pi/Openelec)
Now i did use XBMC Backup, but there where some problems with my Pi after updating Raspbmc so i need to do a clean install "again".
And add the watched/unwatched status to my movie library.
And some posters or fanart i manually change to fit my needs.
This is why i thought ill ask if there is a more easy way then do it from within XBMC itself.

What files do i need to backup to have a backup of my Movie Database + Posters/Fanart + Watched/Unwatched status

This is basically what i want.
userdata (wiki)
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-05-18, 13:59)Martijn Wrote: userdata

Does this folder have no effect on a version update of XBC?
No.

You have a XBMC version X and you back up the userdata.
XBMC version X+1 will just update the database tables when it is started with the databases from version X.

Ps, Martijn - I made your comment into a wiki link Tongue
(2013-05-18, 14:23)Kibje Wrote: No.

You have a XBMC version X and you back up the userdata.
XBMC version X+1 will just update the database tables when it is started with the databases from version X.

Ps, Martijn - I made your comment into a wiki link Tongue

Ok, but this will not harm a XBMC install when i restore a backup?

What about a easy way to manage the posters/fanart or is there no other way then do it from within XBMC.
I know there are some media managers around but this will add .nfo files and fanart/posters to the each movie folders which i don't want.
This will not harm a XBMC install, but obviously you will lose all changes done after the backup was made.

Is there a specific reason you do not want to add files to the movie folders ?
It is the easiest way to be able to rescrape the entire library in case your database goes corrupt and your backup is too old.
(2013-05-18, 15:19)Kibje Wrote: This will not harm a XBMC install, but obviously you will lose all changes done after the backup was made.

Is there a specific reason you do not want to add files to the movie folders ?
It is the easiest way to be able to rescrape the entire library in case your database goes corrupt and your backup is too old.

There isn't a specific reason i just don't want any fuckups in my movie archive. You suggest add all posters/fanart manually?
I have around 400 movies.
(2013-05-18, 17:01)Baswazz Wrote: There isn't a specific reason i just don't want any f**kups in my movie archive.

Not sure what you mean by "f-ups in your movie archive", but leaving it to a scraper to pull down artwork (often determined by popularity/votes on artwork sites that have members who like to "game" the system so that their crappy artwork is voted most popular) is the most likely way to end up with a movie archive containing less than ideal artwork.

(2013-05-18, 17:01)Baswazz Wrote: You suggest add all posters/fanart manually?

How do you guys handle it?

That's the only way to guarantee high quality and appropriate artwork. I use Ember Media Manager myself. 400 movies is an entirely manageable number for Ember - just give yourself an evening to get it all set up the first time, then you'll have a media archive that can be consistently and repeatably scraped without any issues (and much more quickly than pulling artwork and other meta data down from the internet).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2013-05-18, 17:26)MilhouseVH Wrote:
(2013-05-18, 17:01)Baswazz Wrote: There isn't a specific reason i just don't want any f**kups in my movie archive.

Not sure what you mean by "f-ups in your movie archive", but leaving it to a scraper to pull down artwork (often determined by popularity/votes on artwork sites that have members who like to "game" the system so that their crappy artwork is voted most popular) is the most likely way to end up with a movie archive containing less than ideal artwork.

(2013-05-18, 17:01)Baswazz Wrote: You suggest add all posters/fanart manually?

How do you guys handle it?

That's the only way to guarantee high quality and appropriate artwork. I use Ember Media Manager myself. 400 movies is an entirely manageable number for Ember - just give yourself an evening to get it all set up the first time, then you'll have a media archive that can be consistently and repeatably scraped without any issues (and much more quickly than pulling artwork and other meta data down from the internet).

That i make some changes i will regret that takes a big amount of time to undo. But off course i can try it first on some test folders.
You make a great point about crappy artwork all the time.
One of the major benefits of XBMC are the scrapers. I add a new movie and hit Scan video library in Yatse and its done. When i use a Mediamanager i loose this.

Yesterday i tried a few media managers MediaElch, Vi and Ember but i got a few questions though.

ViMediaManger does handle the job. Only i see that i loose the trailer stream in the movie info window.
Ember I think is the best to do this job. The only problem i have is i can't find how to change the plot language other then English.
One benefit about Vi is that it also add logo's but it is not a must have.

So when i add the fanart/posters to the movie folders this will have a higher quality then using a scraper?
(2013-05-19, 09:44)Baswazz Wrote: One of the major benefits of XBMC are the scrapers. I add a new movie and hit Scan video library in Yatse and its done. When i use a Mediamanager i loose this.

Oh absolutely, it's a trade off between convenience (leaving it all to XBMC) and quality (curated artwork, using a media manager).

(2013-05-19, 09:44)Baswazz Wrote: So when i add the fanart/posters to the movie folders this will have a higher quality then using a scraper?

Quality is of course subjective, if you mean higher resolution then you should go for the highest you can get (1920x1080 for fanart, 1000x1500 for posters), but you can also choose which artwork you want to use which is another important definition of quality - taste.

The main point about using a media manager and having local artwork is that if you're not happy with a particular artwork, you can change it in the media manager and when you scan your media in to XBMC you know which artwork will be used. And in 6 months time if you decide to scrap your XBMC media library (software upgrade, disk crash etc.) and need to re-scan your library you will have the same artwork scanned in as you had before, and not some random selection of new artwork that you would get if you left it all to XBMC.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2013-05-19, 09:52)MilhouseVH Wrote: Quality is of course subjective, if you mean higher resolution then you should go for the highest you can get (1920x1080 for fanart, 1000x1500 for posters), but you can also choose which artwork you want to use which is another important definition of quality - taste.

I agree. Big Grin
What i ment by quality in this situation is, if i let the scraper handle it the same movie poster 1000x1500 will it be scaled down? And with manually artwork set 1000x1500 it does not. Or will it be the same?

Do you use .nfo for the movie info, or do you still use the scraper for this. If not, what about changing the scraped language in Amber, can you help me out with this?
XBMC always scales it down after it has been scraped. No matter if you have local art or not.
You can change this in advancedsettings.xml
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movie poster/fanart arrangement0