Subtitles. The Bane Of My Existence
I don't know why, but I simply cannot enjoy a movie if there are english subtitles.. I come away feeling like I have tried to read a book and came away missing all the good parts..Angry...

What brought it to a head is I got a great BR copy of A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD...

Had complete subtitles. Now the subtitles when they were speaking Russian are great.. But the english subtitles really detract from the enjoyment of the movie..

I used the setting to try and push the subtitle line below the viewing area, but no luck..

Is there a way for XBMC to eliminate english subtitles and only show subtitles when a foreign language is being spoken??

Michale
You need to get the correct subtitle stream - usually the forced subs.
(2013-05-25, 00:00)nickr Wrote: You need to get the correct subtitle stream - usually the forced subs.

Thanx for the response...

Would the "forced subs" be a setting within XBMC??

Or is it that I need to look for a particular release of a movie file that has that option??

Thanx again...

Michale
It is a question of ripping the correct subtitle stream when ripping your bluray.
(2013-05-25, 00:22)nickr Wrote: It is a question of ripping the correct subtitle stream when ripping your bluray.

Ahhh OK... Thanx.. Much appreciated...

Michale
You can also often download an additional subtitle track using the subtitle downloader add-on inside of XBMC. Look for ones called "forced" and then you should get what you want.
Thanx for the reply....

(2013-05-25, 01:41)Ned Scott Wrote: You can also often download an additional subtitle track using the subtitle downloader add-on inside of XBMC. Look for ones called "forced" and then you should get what you want.

So a "forced" subtitle SRT would just have the foreign language partsHuh

Michale
It should. I had to do this recently with a copy of Argo that I had ripped, but forgot to rip the subs. I was able to use the subtitle downloader to download a track labeled "forced" that only displayed subs when people were not speaking English.
(2013-05-25, 02:11)Ned Scott Wrote: It should. I had to do this recently with a copy of Argo that I had ripped, but forgot to rip the subs. I was able to use the subtitle downloader to download a track labeled "forced" that only displayed subs when people were not speaking English.

That's awesome!

I'll give it a shot.

Thanx...

Michale
(2013-05-25, 02:11)Ned Scott Wrote: It should. I had to do this recently with a copy of Argo that I had ripped, but forgot to rip the subs. I was able to use the subtitle downloader to download a track labeled "forced" that only displayed subs when people were not speaking English.

One last question..

If the subs are already hard-coded into the file (in this case, an .mkv) will adding the "FORCED" subtitles over write the existing subtitles??

Thanx again
No - a new encode would be required.
Quote:If the subs are already hard-coded into the file (in this case, an .mkv) will adding the "FORCED" subtitles over write the existing subtitles??
I assume by "hard-coded" you actually just mean that there is a subtitle stream within the mkv file, as opposed to the subs actually being burned into the video fames. I will proceed on that basis.

Once you have more than one set of subtitles for a movie you can choose which one you want to see. This includes streams in the file, or external streams.

So the answer to your question is "yes".

PS I hadn't seen Steelman's post, it goes without saying that I think he is wrong.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Once you get the "Forced" subtitle, it will be an external sub file and it will show up as another option in XBMC. What I would do for the long term is use a program that will let you remux (no encoding is required, it just repacks the file) that forced subtitle track, and set the "forced" flag. See Supplemental tools (wiki) for whatever OS you are using for an app that will do this.

Then the subtitle file will be inside the video file, and you can turn normal subtitles off, but it will still work for those non-english parts.
(2013-05-25, 11:05)nickr Wrote: PS I hadn't seen Steelman's post, it goes without saying that I think he is wrong.

Not if my interpretation of 'hard coded' is correct and that the subs are actually 'hard coded', 'burned into the file' or whatever you want to call it. In which case it goes without saying that I think you are wrong Wink

Your interpretation I would deem to be 'soft subs' and therefore easily manipulated in the manner you describe, but definitely not 'hard coded'.
I don't think we have been talking about hard burned in subs at all, but the OP was not particularly clear.

Certainly people who say that the subs are "in the file" are often very unclear as to whether they are truly hard subs or just a stream within the file.

In other words we are both right, depending on what the OP started with.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitles. The Bane Of My Existence0