GSOC 2013 Proposal - Add Miracast Support
Hello, i'm a Computer Science Student from Brazil, I'm in my last college Year.
I'm starting to writing my thesis, and is about Wireless streaming

Summary:

Android 4.2 bring to us Mircast support, "I'd Like to implement Miracast Support on XBMC for Raspberry Pi.

How will I achieve this:

I emailed Wi-Fi Alliance, and they told me that only products that have completed and passed Wi-Fi certification to the Wi-Fi Display test plan may use the Miracast certification mark.
But we can use the term “Supports the Wi-Fi Display Specification” with products that meet the criteria in the Wi-Fi Alliance Display Specification, even though they have not achieved Miracast certification.
So i will have to purchase the Wi-Fi Display Technical Specification, and implement it.

I think the hardest work will be added support to the specific platform, that's why for now my goals is only to support Raspberry Pi.
My mentor from college is an embbed system expert, and when i talk to him about the project he got excited, and tell me that's can be done and the will help me with the Raspberry Pi.

Unlike a lot of people said on this thread, according to this document there is "No restrictions on types of applications, files and/or DRM that can be streamed" (page 185)

I think i can learn a lot with the Android Transporter Project.

First i have to enable wi-fi direct on Raspbmc, and then write a C/C++ API and make it more reusable as possible, to extend support to other platforms on the future.

Then i have to expand wi-fi direct api to add Miracast Suport.

Goals

Miracast allows to screencast a HDTV content, that's will be i nice new source of content for XBMC IMO.
I'd like to give for xbmc user a open alternative for accomplish that task.

Benefits

Many users want to streaming their content to external devices, in special TVs.
Miracast seems to be the way to achieve this.
For develelopers, I didn't found any open source implementation of Miracast, so all others developers interest in it may learn with us Wink

What does it touch in XBMC

I believe most of work should be done in raspxbmc distro, since i don't have purchased the specification yet, i'm not quite sure.

Requirements
There are some requiriments
  • A Android Device with Miracast Support
  • Purchase the wifi displayer Specfication
  • Purchase a Raspberry Pi
  • A wifi dongle with Wi-Fi Direct Support

If my project get approved, I volunteer to buy all the necessary material.

Best regards and thanks in advanced

Guilherme Torres Castro
just to clarify, your goal is to make XBMC "only" a Miracast receiver - or will it be both ways?
For now, only a receiver.
Hi guys, I'm very interested in that too. I'm new to xbmc though.

Guilherme, I checked Android Transporter Project two months back. It is very good work but they seem busy to convert their work for Miracast as they were planning to. Texas Instruments works on something too. I follow up with their support to see if they will come up with Miracast open source stack to save the HUGE effort of stack implementation. One more thing we should consider is Panda board.

My main target is to implement open source for miracast receiver end on Linux or Android.

I hope this thread gets more crowd Smile
Sounds like a really cool idea Smile.
Hopefully you will receive the support you need.
(2013-04-15, 16:00)guitcastro Wrote: What does it touch in XBMC

I believe most of work should be done in raspxbmc distro, since i don't have purchased the specification yet, i'm not quite sure.

If you submit your patches directly to xbmc's github they will get downstream to raspxbmc. This way everyone benefits from your work Smile
(2013-04-21, 11:45)jompan87 Wrote: If you submit your patches directly to xbmc's github they will get downstream to raspxbmc. This way everyone benefits from your work Smile

That's the ideia Wink , but what i mean is a lot of work will be done in the distro, like install and configure packages for wifi-direct.
(2013-04-15, 16:00)guitcastro Wrote: If my project get approved, I volunteer to buy all the necessary material.

Guilherme Torres Castro

So did you get you project approved? Are you planning to host the project anywhere for other developers to contribute?
(2013-05-30, 12:21)aravind Wrote:
(2013-04-15, 16:00)guitcastro Wrote: If my project get approved, I volunteer to buy all the necessary material.

Guilherme Torres Castro

So did you get you project approved? Are you planning to host the project anywhere for other developers to contribute?

http://xbmc.org/natethomas/2013/05/28/go...-students/
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Does this require the Raspi to have a wifi dongle? I ask because my (wired) ethernet connected raspbmc works fine with Airplay without a wifi dongle. Am I right in concluding that that is not an option with Miracast?

X.
(2013-05-31, 08:42)topfs2 Wrote:
(2013-05-30, 12:21)aravind Wrote:

Guilherme Torres Castro

http://xbmc.org/natethomas/2013/05/28/go...-students/

So that is a NO? Because it is not approved by Google for the code summit? :S
Hi guys,

I have initiated a thread for a similar project. Follow the link below.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=167455

Please feel free to contribute. I will also host a repository to streamline everyone's efforts and have a common place for all the source codes.

Thanks !!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GSOC 2013 Proposal - Add Miracast Support4