Req Run XBMC Library + Database as a Service / Daemon - Only want the UPnP Media Server?
If you use TrayIt the program is still running, but just not in the foreground. If you doubleclick the icon in the system tray it will open up, not sure what happens if you just launch the program again.
ATV2 running XBMC Eden (Skin: Quartz3)
Windows 7 running XBMC Eden (custom setup as I'm basically running it as a service)
MySQL installed on Windows 7 for sharing libraries
iOS Specific FAQ | Alternative ATV2 keymap | Default ATV2 keymap
Post log files to Pastebin

OK, I will see if I will test this in a few days. Not at home at the moment.
the reason I ask is because I don`t use keyboard and mouse on this computer.
It`s mainly the HTPC and a little server....
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
akevit:

Hi I`ve tried Tray-It, but I can`t make it find XBMC at all. Tried in both Windowed mode and true full screen.

Is there any tricks I can try?
The issue is that XBMC does not even start on a headless computer. So without an external display, no XBMC... So, we still need some form of bug fix to allow for this (or a feature request to strip out the UPnP server, which is probably a more major attempt).
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
For me it not necceserry to be a headless computer. I just want it to run in the background.
And TrayIt seems to work nice on other programs, but can`t get it to work on XBMC.

Don`t find the window of the program it looks like...
(2009-01-12, 16:54)dpassent Wrote: Why you need XBMC running in the background? For serving files? What is the scenario?

For example, XBMC has very good scraping possibilities, provides separate library for music videos and has smart playlists. So far I know, it's the best UPnP server solution for streaming music videos. Personally I'd really like to have it running in background as it consumes so much resources for GUI rendering. Or at least it could be nice to make it possible to disable/enable GUI rendering by hotkey.

But well, XBMC is freeware and open source, so it's up to developers to decide how it should work and what features should have.
My hardware setup is PC -hdmi-> A/V reciever -hdmi-> TV. I'm using XBMC for music listening quite often and as I prefer to control it from mobile, I don't really need XBMC running on full screen. So some option to minimize it to tray would be great.
I would support this feature. I actively use Yatse and would like an option to minimize XBMC to the background when not playing something on the computer. It is fantastic to be able to move from the computer to playing on the Android device and back. It would be nice to be able to transfer to playing on the Android device and let someone use the computer, then resume to the computer at a later time if so desired.
Looks like the newer builds might start to support this soon:

Quote:"The Settings Refactor is like-wise quite huge, but worth discussing in a bit more detail. Previously, settings were entirely dependent upon XBMC’s graphical user interface (GUI). If you didn’t manually change a setting in that interface, the setting could not be changed. Skinners had no access to the settings. Outside applications (like the official Android and iOS remotes) couldn’t interact with them. Any attempt by users to run XBMC as a server were hamstrung by the fact that you couldn’t actually control most of the server features without physically launching the XBMC GUI.

This refactor separated settings from the GUI, so now all of those obstacles can easily be overcome. In addition, because settings are no longer dependent on the GUI, we can do a lot of interesting things that were not previously possible."

I for one welcome this as I run all my server stuff from a tiny cubox (1GB ram) and currently the only thing I can't do without booting up one of the main machines is scrape new content and add to the library (MYSQL, which is on the server). So running a small headless version would be a bit neater than having to do WOL stuff.
This would also be a good thing for people that runs this on an computer that does other tings to.
So it would be just to get up the GUI, and all works. :-)
(2013-06-05, 13:36)niietzshe Wrote: Looks like the newer builds might start to support this soon:

Quote:"The Settings Refactor is like-wise quite huge, but worth discussing in a bit more detail. Previously, settings were entirely dependent upon XBMC’s graphical user interface (GUI). If you didn’t manually change a setting in that interface, the setting could not be changed. Skinners had no access to the settings. Outside applications (like the official Android and iOS remotes) couldn’t interact with them. Any attempt by users to run XBMC as a server were hamstrung by the fact that you couldn’t actually control most of the server features without physically launching the XBMC GUI.

This refactor separated settings from the GUI, so now all of those obstacles can easily be overcome. In addition, because settings are no longer dependent on the GUI, we can do a lot of interesting things that were not previously possible."

I for one welcome this as I run all my server stuff from a tiny cubox (1GB ram) and currently the only thing I can't do without booting up one of the main machines is scrape new content and add to the library (MYSQL, which is on the server). So running a small headless version would be a bit neater than having to do WOL stuff.

This bodes well! Much like you, I host everything from a Synology NAS. It handles the MySQL based library and all of the media is both stored and downloaded directly to it. I doubt we're the only people to have this setup so it seems bizarre that there's not a simple headless library daemon that can run 24/7 and who's only job is to do scheduled scrapes as well as receive incoming download notifications and update the database accordingly.

My fingers are firmly crossed that something like this appears shortly after the Gotham release!
(2013-03-08, 18:19)pettergulbra Wrote: akevit:

Hi I`ve tried Tray-It, but I can`t make it find XBMC at all. Tried in both Windowed mode and true full screen.

Is there any tricks I can try?

Sorry a little late returning to this discussion, did you get this working? Try
ATV2 running XBMC Eden (Skin: Quartz3)
Windows 7 running XBMC Eden (custom setup as I'm basically running it as a service)
MySQL installed on Windows 7 for sharing libraries
iOS Specific FAQ | Alternative ATV2 keymap | Default ATV2 keymap
Post log files to Pastebin

Just wanted to add that I would also love for a slimmed down-non gui version of XBMC to run on my personal server at home.

I've subscribed to this thread to see where this leads!
Hey, first post here!

I develop an open source web app called Jamstash for Subsonic.
http://forum.subsonic.org/forum/viewtopi...12&t=10452

I've been playing around with XBMC recently:

1 Win8 server in basement (XBMC, MySQL, Subsonic)
1 Win8 Pro tablet living room (XBMC)

Being able to sync multiple machines to the same library is pretty sweet!
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...sing_MySQL

I got jammed up when I wanted to remote control the tablet (docked) from my android phone. XBMC wasn't running. It's either use the Desktop on the tablet or have XBMC running. That's part of the problem I guess.

A minimize to tray would even work, put the program in Startup and start minimized. uTorrent does this. I'm sure a windows service is not something easily implemented.
Found a pretty simple method that works!

Hit the "\" key to switch to windowed mode, then you can just minimize it. This would be nice to have on the shutdown menu.

It seems to save the setting so I just added a shortcut to the folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp

Using BubbleUPnP on Android phones to control the jams.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Run XBMC Library + Database as a Service / Daemon - Only want the UPnP Media Server?1