Windows ☆ Build #3
Image Image

[CASE/PSU] ANTEC ISK 110 VESA / 90W ($80)
[CPU/GPU] AMD A6-6400K FM2 65W / AMD Radeon HD 8470D ($80)
[MOBO] MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 USB3.0 SATA-III HDMI eSATA S/PDIF UEFI ($85)
[RAM] Kingston HyperX Plug and Play 4GB (2x2GB) 240-pin DDR3 1866MHz CL11 1.5V ($47)
[SSD] ADATA Premier Pro SP600 32GB SATA-III 2.5" Read:360MB/s Write:130MB/s ($50)
TOTAL: $342

Pros?
* FULL 3D 1080P Ready!!
* Bitstreams DOLBY TRUE-HD & DTS-HD MASTER!!
* Built-in WiFi!!
* Built-in Bluetooth!!
* 1 x HDMI output!!
* 4 x SATA-III ports!!
* 1 x Optical (S/PDIF) output!!
* 4 x USB 3.0 ports!!
* 2 x USB 2.0 ports!!

Cons?
* no Multi Card Reader slot!!
If the A6-6400K is anything like the A6-5400K, you've got two problems here:

1. It's going to bake in this case. I build these in the E-i7 case, my largest case, and it needs an 80mm system fan.
2. 90W is not enough. In the MSI BIOS alone, it will spike to 90-95W. You need 120W for these. You also cannot undervolt with the MSI so it might be hard to bring that consumption down though it won't matter because first visit to the BIOS it will crash and rest.

The Richland APUs are clocked a little higher than Trinity and power consumption, according to reviews, is a tiny bit more at load.
actually, Richland APU's are said to have been tuned
to offer lower power consumption and higher clock speeds then Trinity.
All the reviews I've ready shows Richland uses a few more watts than Trinity at load, e.g.:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/dis...html#sect0
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd...apu,8.html
http://www.techspot.com/review/681-amd-a...page8.html

This makes sense -- the CPU cores (Piledriver) are the same as Trinity but clocked higher. There is no change in the CPU architecture. The A10-6800K vs A10-5700K results should scale to A6-6400K vs A6-5600K. They do seem to idle lower, probably due to the new power states add, but use more power at the top end. The issue with all FM2 motherboards mini-ITX I've used (ASRock and MSI) is they run the CPU at 100% in the BIOS so you have to have a PSU that can handle full load out of the gate. You also have to have some extra headroom because so that +12V doesn't drop out of spec (usually a result of the AC adapter not being big enough).

Anyway, just my experience having built some of these Trinity systems.
(2013-06-09, 23:05)Dougie Fresh Wrote: The issue with all FM2 motherboards mini-ITX I've used (ASRock and MSI) is they run the CPU at 100% in the BIOS so you have to have a PSU that can handle full load out of the gate.

and,....when the CPU goes to 100%,..the CPU temps start to progressively,..but very quickly climb.
Meaning,...if you don't have proper cooling,..the temps could spike and cause a thermal shutdown.
if the CPU goes to %100 when in BIOS,
there's always the ClickBIOS II app
that lets you change BIOS settings while in windows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiO8g0kFu0Q
Tongue
Dougie, you helped me with an A6-5400k build maybe 6 months ago. I use your E-I7 case with a Big Shuriken 2 and no additional case fans and it seems to be running just fine, even under heavy load it never gets too hot. For standard movie playing its just slightly warm always, when I try to game with it, it heats up but is still within reason.
(2013-06-11, 01:25)rip_king Wrote: Dougie, you helped me with an A6-5400k build maybe 6 months ago. I use your E-I7 case with a Big Shuriken 2 and no additional case fans and it seems to be running just fine, even under heavy load it never gets too hot. For standard movie playing its just slightly warm always, when I try to game with it, it heats up but is still within reason.

With the Big Shuriken, no you wouldn't need any case fans. It's big enough to keep the VRMs cool. When I ship the Trinity barebones, I use the stock cooler and an 80mm Gelid 80mm PWM fan. This works really well and still allows use of the slot-load optical drive. The E-i7 also has a 120W power supply and a larger volume than the ISK110 with a 90W power supply.

I ship 120W AC adapters and recommend them with all of our Trinity systems and will do that same for Richland. I don't recommend a smaller case than the E-i7 so you can have a large cooler or at least a case fan or two.

But, like I said, that's my experience building these systems and based on what I went through with Trinity and expect the same from Richland. If you built the A6-6400K in the ISK110 and it was fine at load power and heat-wise, that's great. If you haven't built it then be forewarned.
(2013-06-11, 00:23)eskro Wrote: if the CPU goes to %100 when in BIOS,
there's always the ClickBIOS II app
that lets you change BIOS settings while in windows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiO8g0kFu0Q
Tongue

You are correct sir,...I should have mentioned that since I use that on my A10 build.
It's pretty sweet to go into the BIOS from Windows.
should be a standard thing to do Tongue
(2013-06-11, 04:01)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2013-06-11, 01:25)rip_king Wrote: Dougie, you helped me with an A6-5400k build maybe 6 months ago. I use your E-I7 case with a Big Shuriken 2 and no additional case fans and it seems to be running just fine, even under heavy load it never gets too hot. For standard movie playing its just slightly warm always, when I try to game with it, it heats up but is still within reason.

With the Big Shuriken, no you wouldn't need any case fans. It's big enough to keep the VRMs cool. When I ship the Trinity barebones, I use the stock cooler and an 80mm Gelid 80mm PWM fan. This works really well and still allows use of the slot-load optical drive. The E-i7 also has a 120W power supply and a larger volume than the ISK110 with a 90W power supply.

I ship 120W AC adapters and recommend them with all of our Trinity systems and will do that same for Richland. I don't recommend a smaller case than the E-i7 so you can have a large cooler or at least a case fan or two.

But, like I said, that's my experience building these systems and based on what I went through with Trinity and expect the same from Richland. If you built the A6-6400K in the ISK110 and it was fine at load power and heat-wise, that's great. If you haven't built it then be forewarned.

Ah gotcha, I went without the optical drive to make room for the Shuriken so that makes sense.
I have a slot-less version of that case now. I am pretty psyched. You could fit a 3.5" HDD or video card or big cooler in it. It only took me a year to convince them to make them!
which version exactly Doug?
(2013-06-11, 23:11)eskro Wrote: which version exactly Doug?

thats great!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows ☆ Build #30