• 24(current)
WIP Stereoscopic 3D support for half/full SBS, over/under, etc
(2013-06-17, 13:45)elupus Wrote:
(2013-06-17, 05:24)baijuxavior Wrote: I have set preferred stereoscopic mode as SBS and enabled 'Always display gui in stereoscopic mode'. Now every time I start xbmc it starts in sbs mode. Usually we start XBMC with 3D off in TV and so we don't want to see the gui in stereomode at startup. If I disable 'Always display gui in stereoscopic mode' option then xbmc will start normally, but then after stopping playback the gui is switched to normal mode which is not good as the TV is already set to SBS mode manually. The point is, we should either keep the option 'Stop stereoscopic mode when playback is stopped' or change the code to start xbmc in 2d mode always.

Starting in 2d always then is likely the best solution. Alternatively we could ask on startup. But good point, that is something I hadn't really taken into consideration.
you only have to revert your change in CStereoscopicsManger::Initialize() which was basically added to NOT start/resume XBMC in stereo mode.

btw - should we make STEREO_MODE_OFF behave like STEREO_MODE_MONO (2D) and drop the later now that we can change/define the stereo mode of the video independently? I'd add a little notification icon for like 5 seconds to stereoscopic videos played in 2D to inform users that this video can also be viewed in 3D.
(2013-06-17, 13:55)da-anda Wrote: I'm just compiling it and will give it a try. The only issue I see is that there is no "use/match videos stereo mode" option anymore as "preferred mode", which users with active 3D displays (shutter) might prefer instead of converting the video back and forth and was the reason I added this option in first place (ofc only makes sense if display can be switched into 3D mode automatically, like on the pi).

Why do they need to match 3d mode of the video? I don't mind adding that to the spinner thou, so ask/preferred/2d/match and make sure we have matched mode in the gui that pops up too.

(2013-06-17, 13:55)da-anda Wrote: Hmm, users that give a fuck on stereosopics and don't have a stereoscopic setup most likely also won't have any stereoscopic videos (why should they) - so they also don't need any stereo->2D conversion buttons or other stuff that clutters the UI.

The only thing they see is the options in settings and the two new settings inside video OSD. The 3D button is hidden until a 3d movie is detected. If they should happen upon a 3d movie it will show up. There is very little clutter.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2013-06-17, 13:56)da-anda Wrote: you only have to revert your change in CStereoscopicsManger::Initialize() which was basically added to NOT start/resume XBMC in stereo mode.

Yup. I just never thought about the need to stay in 3d mode after video playback. But I suppose it does make sense. We could actually ask on playback stop if we want to revert to 2d.

(2013-06-17, 13:56)da-anda Wrote: btw - should we make STEREO_MODE_OFF behave like STEREO_MODE_MONO (2D) and drop the later now that we can change/define the stereo mode of the video independently? I'd add a little notification icon for like 5 seconds to stereoscopic videos played in 2D to inform users that this video can also be viewed in 3D.

Different things thou. The mono mode (which I would like to rename to LEFT_EYE_ONLY) is just that it takes part of the video. OFF is really ignore the fact that it's a 3d movie.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

(2013-06-17, 13:56)da-anda Wrote:
(2013-06-17, 13:45)elupus Wrote:
(2013-06-17, 05:24)baijuxavior Wrote: I have set preferred stereoscopic mode as SBS and enabled 'Always display gui in stereoscopic mode'. Now every time I start xbmc it starts in sbs mode. Usually we start XBMC with 3D off in TV and so we don't want to see the gui in stereomode at startup. If I disable 'Always display gui in stereoscopic mode' option then xbmc will start normally, but then after stopping playback the gui is switched to normal mode which is not good as the TV is already set to SBS mode manually. The point is, we should either keep the option 'Stop stereoscopic mode when playback is stopped' or change the code to start xbmc in 2d mode always.

Starting in 2d always then is likely the best solution. Alternatively we could ask on startup. But good point, that is something I hadn't really taken into consideration.
you only have to revert your change in CStereoscopicsManger::Initialize() which was basically added to NOT start/resume XBMC in stereo mode.

I already changed that, but it will be nice to have that feature in the elupus code.
(2013-06-17, 14:24)elupus Wrote:
(2013-06-17, 13:55)da-anda Wrote: I'm just compiling it and will give it a try. The only issue I see is that there is no "use/match videos stereo mode" option anymore as "preferred mode", which users with active 3D displays (shutter) might prefer instead of converting the video back and forth and was the reason I added this option in first place (ofc only makes sense if display can be switched into 3D mode automatically, like on the pi).

Why do they need to match 3d mode of the video? I don't mind adding that to the spinner thou, so ask/preferred/2d/match and make sure we have matched mode in the gui that pops up too.
"match" should not be an option for playback mode but rather the old "preferred stereo mode" setting which was now merged with stereomode. I added it because users demanded it (IIRC) because they didn't want their TAB movie converted to SBS (or vice versa) and then stretched by the TV to fullscreen again and loose even more picture information/quality by that. It doesn't matter much on passive (polarized) TVs where we can simply convert everything to TAB because the display will do that anyways, but for active technologies that can handle FullHD 3D playback this matters.

(2013-06-17, 14:24)elupus Wrote:
(2013-06-17, 13:55)da-anda Wrote: Hmm, users that give a fuck on stereosopics and don't have a stereoscopic setup most likely also won't have any stereoscopic videos (why should they) - so they also don't need any stereo->2D conversion buttons or other stuff that clutters the UI.

The only thing they see is the options in settings and the two new settings inside video OSD. The 3D button is hidden until a 3d movie is detected. If they should happen upon a 3d movie it will show up. There is very little clutter.
the clutter depends on the skin Wink Having a global setting to bind visibility to and also skip stereoscopic related processing to speed things up if not needed is the best I could come up with.
just played with your changes. I don't like that my preferred stereo mode is changed when I change stereo mode while no movie is playing (system mode) - my preference is still the same and shouldn't change only because I switched to a different mode (like 2D) once. Also, the dialog "change of default stereo mode" is only shown if one switches from/to STEREO_MODE_OFF and not uses any of the next/prev/toggle2d actions to cycle between modes unless you hit STEREO_MODE_OFF again (I suppose the logic is wrongly inverted here because a switch between OFF and stereo mode won't change preferred mode, but all others).

Another thing that I really don't like is the location of the videos stereo settings in the videosettings dialog, for the simple reason that there is a "make these settings default for all videos" button which makes absolutely no sense for stereo settings. So we probably will need our own stereomode dialog I guess? Sad

And again - "mono (2D)" is not a real stereo mode. Having it in the spinner for "preferred stereo mode" breaks the StereoToMono toggle/cAction which will switch between preferred/current stereo mode and 2D.
(2013-06-17, 16:28)da-anda Wrote: just played with your changes. I don't like that my preferred stereo mode is changed when I change stereo mode while no movie is playing (system mode) - my preference is still the same and shouldn't change only because I switched to a different mode (like 2D) once. Also, the dialog "change of default stereo mode" is only shown if one switches from/to STEREO_MODE_OFF and not uses any of the next/prev/toggle2d actions to cycle between modes unless you hit STEREO_MODE_OFF again (I suppose the logic is wrongly inverted here because a switch between OFF and stereo mode won't change preferred mode, but all others).

Why do you need the change the 3d mode while in GUI? I do see the point that it's somewhat reversed there. I was trying to avoid accidentally switching into a 3d mode that would be hard to leave if you don't know what you are doing (or what button you pressed). That is why it is only shown when we turn on and off stereoscopic display.

The point is, I really really really don't want many settings for this. We have too many already. We need to figure out what is absolutely required and what is not.

(2013-06-17, 16:28)da-anda Wrote: Another thing that I really don't like is the location of the videos stereo settings in the videosettings dialog, for the simple reason that there is a "make these settings default for all videos" button which makes absolutely no sense for stereo settings. So we probably will need our own stereomode dialog I guess? Sad
That is the same issue with the spinner for audio stream. It's broken in the same manner as is the interlaced handling since you would never want to set that as default for all movies. The whole logic of that button is faulty.

(2013-06-17, 16:28)da-anda Wrote: And again - "mono (2D)" is not a real stereo mode. Having it in the spinner for "preferred stereo mode" breaks the StereoToMono toggle/cAction which will switch between preferred/current stereo mode and 2D.
mono is a stereo mode. It's clearly different from none. It's a way to process a stereo movie. It's a fully valid preferred mode for a user without any 3d capable equipment. The only difference is that you will only see one of the eyes perspective, it might even be what we should set as the preferred stereoscopic mode in settings.

I synced again and there was some marginal and improved changes in the code. Now it works much better. One think I noticed is that the gui is not changing automatically when we use the video settings osd to tell what type of 3d movie is being played. This feature is useful if the movie has no 3d detection tags, but I feel the setting is hidden too deep in the video settings. My suggestion is that the 3D OSD icon should be visible always and it should have options to select the 3d type of the movie and to invert the frames rather than going into the video settings osd.
baijuxaviour - in case you're watching a video without proper MKV tag nor flag in file name you can still set the stereo mode of the playing video in the video settings of the VideoOSD (where you also can adjust video brightness, etc). You can also flip eyes there. I'll add a cAction for flipping eyes and probably also the stereomode setting of the video itself (or maybe only a builtin + JSONrpc)
I found that setting. What I am trying to say is, we are starting a 3d movie with no detection tags and the gui is currently in stereo mode off. When I select the 3d type from the videosettings osd, it should automatically switch to the selected stereo mode.

Another thing - when I try to invert the frames, the video stalls. If I stop and play again, the screen goes blank and there is no audio.
inverting is working fine for me on windows, any more details on your setup and test video?

And personally I don't think that we should turn on stereo mode if one is changing that setting, could also be by accident and then he's "trapped" in stereoscopic mode. As this setting is persisted, it's only a one-time thing for each movie anyways and should also only be necessary on rare occasions, and in those it's really not that complicated to jump to the 3D button in VideoOSD and toggle stereo mode manually.
I can confirm that inverting is working on Linux too, I don't have any problems. Interlaced and over under output modes tested - there are no problems. Also I can see default interlaced mode is displaying correctly now and invert option is needed for bad encoded movies only - good job.

(2013-06-18, 16:22)da-anda Wrote: And personally I don't think that we should turn on stereo mode if one is changing that setting, could also be by accident and then he's "trapped" in stereoscopic mode.
Maybe it's good idea to add settings option for this? Personally, I disagree. When I change stereo mode in video osd settings, I expect 3d gui mode to be changed to mode chosen. But nothing happens, until I switch on 3D mode manually - it's confusing.
giaur: the point is that the video may be in a mode your display hardware can't support. So we can't switch automatically. We could i suppose trigger the same logic as on playback start when you go from none to some mode.

Quote:giaur: the point is that the video may be in a mode your display hardware can't support. So we can't switch automatically. We could i suppose trigger the same logic as on playback start when you go from none to some mode.
It's not clear for me... What's the difference? When we set 3d mode in video osd settings and then enable 3d mode using 3D icon menu - it's not the same as logic when starting autodetected playback? I thought this is the same, but source 3D mode is forced, not autodetected.

From other side: after setting 3d mode in video osd dialog and enabling 3d mode from 3d icon menu, there is the same problem (possibly incompatible mode). But there are 2 differences - it's impossible to do with skin other than Confluence (currently) and you will need to click twice.

Another small suggestion - for me, personally - there is too much notifications. I have set interlaced mode as preffered. Everytime I start playback, there is notification displayed. When I stop playback - there is notification again. I think there is no reason to display notification in this case. What about making it configurable with option to disable 3d mode change notifications? I rather preffer to have "transparent" behaviour - every 3d movie is displayed as interlaced (instead of screen splitted), normal movie is displayed as normal. I don't need any notifications here. I don't even need to know what is source format (sbs/ou) - 3d movie (if autodeteced) is automatically displayed as interlaced and that's all.
Just wanted to report back in, got it compiled and installed. Slicker than snot on a doorknob! Loving the 3d subs. None of my videos are autodetecting, but I know I saw a post a while back showing how to edit the mkv header, so I'll check that out and report back.

Thanks for this, really makes a big difference.
  • 24(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stereoscopic 3D support for half/full SBS, over/under, etc11