• 5(current)
DTS passthrough on Ouya - not currently supported
(2013-06-27, 08:06)nickr Wrote: I don't understand the "fix"/"workaround" anyway. You say to
Quote: start the movie with sound via HDMI. Your receiver will make a lot of noise
So the hdmi cable is currently plugged from the ouya to the receiver. Then you say
Quote:Just unplug the hdmi cable from your tv [and] plug it in again
So how did the cable get plugged into the TV in the first place?

Ouya is connected via HDMI to receiver and receiver is connected via HDMI to TV. This is a very normal set-up.
Intel NUC BOXD34010WYK2 / Intel mSata 525 30GB / Kingston 8 GB / Intel 7260hmw
(2013-06-27, 08:12)speedway Wrote:
(2013-06-27, 08:06)nickr Wrote: I don't understand the "fix"/"workaround" anyway. You say to
Quote: start the movie with sound via HDMI. Your receiver will make a lot of noise
So the hdmi cable is currently plugged from the ouya to the receiver. Then you say
Quote:Just unplug the hdmi cable from your tv [and] plug it in again
So how did the cable get plugged into the TV in the first place?

Ouya is connected via HDMI to receiver and receiver is connected via HDMI to TV. This is a very normal set-up.
So replugging the cable between the receiver and the TV activates DTS between the OUYA and the receiver? I get what you are saying (and it is the proper setup), but that is a really odd result.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-06-27, 09:05)nickr Wrote: So replugging the cable between the receiver and the TV activates DTS between the OUYA and the receiver? I get what you are saying (and it is the proper setup), but that is a really odd result.

It is indeed a really odd result.
Perhaps unplugging from the ouya gives the same result (it should!).
It feels to me there is a HDMI handshake issue. And since there is a cut off of DTS -stream when starting a new movie, the handshake gets corrupted? I hope xbmc developers can use this kind of info to solve the problem. I wonder if something is written to the debug file when DTS starts to work correctly?
speedway, sorry, I meant for you to leave the HDMI cables alone (plugged in) and just try this:

1. Start playing DTS movie
2. You should get static out of the receiver
3. Turn your receiver OFF
4. Turn your receiver back ON
5. Does DTS now work?

There were reports elsewhere that this works.
(2013-06-27, 11:34)Alchete Wrote: speedway, sorry, I meant for you to leave the HDMI cables alone (plugged in) and just try this:

5. Does DTS now work?

Not tested yet.
Will do so when I'm at home...
(2013-06-27, 11:15)speedway Wrote:
(2013-06-27, 09:05)nickr Wrote: So replugging the cable between the receiver and the TV activates DTS between the OUYA and the receiver? I get what you are saying (and it is the proper setup), but that is a really odd result.

It is indeed a really odd result.
Perhaps unplugging from the ouya gives the same result (it should!).
It feels to me there is a HDMI handshake issue. And since there is a cut off of DTS -stream when starting a new movie, the handshake gets corrupted? I hope xbmc developers can use this kind of info to solve the problem. I wonder if something is written to the debug file when DTS starts to work correctly?
There is certainly something up with the HDMI handshaking somewhere in the chain from what you describe, to me prime suspect would be settings on the receiver.

Would you by any chance have some form of HDMI Control (CEC) enabled on the receiver? does your TV get audio from the receiver? As sounds like the TV capabilities is being passed back to Ouya saying DTS is not supported then when you break the link to the TV it correctly detects the receiver capabilities.
(2013-06-27, 14:16)jjd-uk Wrote: There is certainly something up with the HDMI handshaking somewhere in the chain from what you describe, to me prime suspect would be settings on the receiver.

Would you by any chance have some form of HDMI Control (CEC) enabled on the receiver? does your TV get audio from the receiver? As sounds like the TV capabilities is being passed back to Ouya saying DTS is not supported then when you break the link to the TV it correctly detects the receiver capabilities.

Correct:
- receiver = CEC enabled -> so I can watch TV via setup box without putting on the receiver.
- TV = CEC disabled -> because when I switch off my setup box with Logitech Harmony, the setup box first sends a signal to my TV for switching off (via HDMI CEC), while my Harmony performs a power toggle on my TV -> switching it on again Confused

My TV isn't able to process DTS or Dolby Digital signals -> this could indeed be the problem, in combination with CEC enabled on my receiver.

Reading all feedback (which is really appreciated), it looks like DTS is working for everybody via XBMC on Ouya or are there still problems with it?
(2013-06-27, 14:37)speedway Wrote: Reading all feedback (which is really appreciated), it looks like DTS is working for everybody via XBMC on Ouya or are there still problems with it?
No. Everyone is having the same issues with multi-channel on the Ouya as you are. In fact, you and others found a work-around as it's not yet officially supported.

Ouya also does not yet support CEC. Koying, the XBMC Android developer asked this question directly to Ouya back in February. It's still not working. You can read the thread here:

http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/651/hdmi-cec-for-xbmc

The only recourse at the moment is to file a support ticket with Ouya, telling them you'd like to use the Ouya as an XBMC box and asking them when multi-channel audio passthrough will be implemented. If enough people do this, maybe they'll see the need and move it up on their release schedule.

Support ticket can be filed here;

https://support.ouya.tv/anonymous_requests/new
(2013-06-27, 11:53)speedway Wrote:
(2013-06-27, 11:34)Alchete Wrote: speedway, sorry, I meant for you to leave the HDMI cables alone (plugged in) and just try this:

5. Does DTS now work?

Not tested yet.
Will do so when I'm at home...

Yep, this works also. Even switching from input helps. Switching to tuner and back to ouya activates DTS!
(2013-06-27, 22:12)speedway Wrote: Yep, this works also. Even switching from input helps. Switching to tuner and back to ouya activates DTS!
Excellent. That means you can at least do all the switching from the couch. Smile

I'd be willing to take a look through the XBMC code to and see if this can be emulated somehow in software, until real passthrough support arrives.

Maybe davilla or Koying have some pointers on where to look for the HDMI handshaking?
I hope this gets fixed soon, it is the only thing holding me back from getting the Ouya.
(2013-06-27, 22:12)speedway Wrote: Yep, this works also. Even switching from input helps. Switching to tuner and back to ouya activates DTS!

You mean i switch my AV-Receiver from Source HDMI1 (OUYA) to HDMI2 (nothing) and back to HDMI1 (OUYA) and then it will work? Big Grin
Or have i to switch to Radio Tuner (on the AV-R)?

EDIT
Ah ok its here:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=OUYA
I have my Ouya now for two days.

The first thing I did was installing XBMC referenced from the following wiki page:
Quote:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=OUYA

So, right after installing the XBMC version I had NO sound issues except very rare audio dropouts.
But today (after restarting the box) I have the known and common problem with noise instead of sound.

Except that audio issue, that was I aware of even before I had the Ouya in my bare hands, I thougth video enconding was not a problem at all.

But what I see is, constant repeated stutter or worse, which means sequences of some seconds without any "right" picture, just color rubbish.

So, basically the 5.1 DTS sound realy works, but not on demand. And the picture rendering is near not working at all.

The Boxee Box shows no problems at all in this configuration.

Any ideas?
Do we have just to wait for other releases?

If money could help, I bet a lot of Ouya user would pay.

Anyway, keep up the good work!
Same here...

The only thing that helps s plugging the hdmi from my Ouya out and in again. Switchingreceiver channel or turn receiver off and on don't work at all :-(
(2013-07-03, 20:49)DarkVamp Wrote: Same here...

The only thing that helps s plugging the hdmi from my Ouya out and in again. Switchingreceiver channel or turn receiver off and on don't work at all :-(

Have you tried switching to another HDMI source? Please wait also a few seconds before switching back to your ouya HDMI input.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DTS passthrough on Ouya - not currently supported1