• 7(current)
DTS passthrough on Ouya - not currently supported
(2013-07-05, 01:32)Alchete Wrote:
(2013-07-04, 23:56)DarkVamp Wrote: Okay I checked it... :-(

On my Yamaha RX-V473 receiver nothing works. Only if I pull off the hdmi cable from my Ouya and turn it in again I get DTS / AC3 sound. But if I pause the movie the problem is back :-(
I have the Yamaha RX-V673 receiver. Here's how I got it to work.

My setup:

Receiver inputs (HDMI)
Ouya
Cable box
Bluray

Receiver output
Single HDMI on the ARC input of a Panasonic plasma.

I have HDMI CEC enabled for the TV and receiver.

SETUP
Using XBMC Alpha 1
XBMC settings
- HDMI / 5.1
Following options checked
- AC3
- DTS
- AAC
- TrueHD
- DTS-HD

HOW TO GET AC3 / DTS TO WORK
1. Start playing a movie (should hear static or clicking)
2. Turn OFF power to the receiver
3. Wait until the picture re-appears on the TV, with the receiver still OFF
4. Turn ON power to the receiver
5. Enjoy DTS / AC3

ISSUES
Simply changing HDMI inputs on my receiver did not trigger proper decoding. Receiver power needed to be cycled.
DTS-HD will not decode under any circumstance.
Need to set your audio track to DTS or AC3 before switching power.
I am not full understanding this. My Ouya is connected to my Bose v25 HTS via HDMI. When I turn the Bose off I no longer get any picture.
Nothing left in my right brain, Nothing right in my left brain :-P
(2013-07-06, 08:08)lartomar2002 Wrote: I am not full understanding this. My Ouya is connected to my Bose v25 HTS via HDMI. When I turn the Bose off I no longer get any picture.
Perhaps the video passthrough is specific to my setup.

In any event, does cycling your receiver power while a movie is playing succeed in decoding AC3/DTS?
SETUP
Using XBMC Alpha 1
XBMC settings
- HDMI / 5.0
- AC3
- DTS
- AAC
- TrueHD
- DTS-HD

Using an Onkyo receiver, so far the simplest way I found is to start my movie/tv show, turn off my receiver (for 2-3 sec) then turn it on again. It's not perfect but it's not so bad except the noise is back after I put the file on pause that's quite annoying. But still for an Alpha build these results are amazing. Ouya works flawlessly with Aeon Nox Smile
(2013-07-06, 08:32)Macgyv Wrote: SETUP
Using XBMC Alpha 1
XBMC settings
- HDMI / 5.0
- AC3
- DTS
- AAC
- TrueHD
- DTS-HD

Using an Onkyo receiver, so far the simplest way I found is to start my movie/tv show, turn off my receiver (for 2-3 sec) then turn it on again. It's not perfect but it's not so bad except the noise is back after I put the file on pause that's quite annoying. But still for an Alpha build these results are amazing. Ouya works flawlessly with Aeon Nox Smile

I can get AC3, DTS en Dolby Digital to work, but not TrueHD and DTS-HD Sad
Tested with demos from: http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high-d...ailers.php
Intel NUC BOXD34010WYK2 / Intel mSata 525 30GB / Kingston 8 GB / Intel 7260hmw
I don't think any Android-based box currently supports HD audio passthrough. I think some hardware supports it, but just doesn't have the OS support.
Ned is correct - it's an Android limitation. Some recent Samsung phones bypass the Android mixer to talk directly to ALSA but not so on the Ouya or any other Android device yet. Until they allow 192khz links and bit-perfection at those rates there will be no DTS-HD MA or TrueHD.

Ned - get my last email response?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2013-07-06, 15:42)DDDamian Wrote: Ned is correct - it's an Android limitation. Some recent Samsung phones bypass the Android mixer to talk directly to ALSA but not so on the Ouya or any other Android device yet. Until they allow 192khz links and bit-perfection at those rates there will be no DTS-HD MA or TrueHD.

I wonder of it would be possible to install OpenElec on it and bypass all Android limitations.
Or is this silly thinking?
Intel NUC BOXD34010WYK2 / Intel mSata 525 30GB / Kingston 8 GB / Intel 7260hmw
(2013-07-06, 15:54)speedway Wrote:
(2013-07-06, 15:42)DDDamian Wrote: Ned is correct - it's an Android limitation. Some recent Samsung phones bypass the Android mixer to talk directly to ALSA but not so on the Ouya or any other Android device yet. Until they allow 192khz links and bit-perfection at those rates there will be no DTS-HD MA or TrueHD.

I wonder of it would be possible to install OpenElec on it and bypass all Android limitations.
Or is this silly thinking?

That would be the best option if you want HD audio - the limitation is in the Android OS.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Well, the good news is the Ouya has plenty of horsepower to decode just about anything you throw at it.

With XBMC Alpha 1 I'm able to watch raw blu ray rips without any buffering. NOTE: I have an ethernet cable connected.

And, using test files, I can play up to 40Mbps clips with no buffering. Only at 50Mbps does it pause to buffer, which even then could be NAS/ethernet saturation.

Overall, excellent work by the whole team!

WISHLIST
- Ouya automatically decoding multichannel audio
- Alpha 1 seems to drop a few frames (micro stutter) every few seconds
- Getting XBMC's Gotham brightness setting into the stagefright builds to limit the dynamic range
Passthrough isn't about decoding power, though. If anything, having more passthrough options will allow the CPU to work less, because it's offloading audio work to an audio receiver's DAC. I don't know anything about OUYA's specific guts to know if HD audio passthrough is possible, but DTS certainly is. It just has some HDMI handshaking issue of some kind.
(2013-07-06, 12:04)speedway Wrote:
(2013-07-06, 08:32)Macgyv Wrote: ...

I can get AC3, DTS en Dolby Digital to work, but not TrueHD and DTS-HD Sad
Tested with demos from: http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high-d...ailers.php

It works with Dolby trueHD, i'll try with DTS-HD
Is it fixed in the new update?
Could anyone test it please? :-)
Unlikely. They still have no progress on HDMI-CEC, and there's nothing in the patch notes to indicate any progress in this release.

July 25 changelog:

• Network selection menu updated
o Better communication of important details, including current active connection
o Wi-Fi list now auto refreshes
o Various bug fixes
• Improvements to download speed over Ethernet
• Wi-Fi is now disabled when Ethernet is active (to increase performance). Removing Ethernet will re-enable Wi-Fi.
• Fixed an issue where downloads could get stuck in the “in Queue” state
• Changed the automatic controller pairing popup to occur after 2 minutes if the console is turned on and no action is taken. Also reworded the screen to make it clear already paired controllers can simply be turned on to connect
• Better handling of case where user changes their password on the web while logged into the console
• Fixed an issue where entering too many characters in the search window could cause a crash
• Fixed an issue where pressing the system button on two separate controller at the same time would register as a double tap
• In the Make menu, if the selected game hasn’t been downloaded yet, the "O" button now goes to the details page
• Pulled various page headers into the safezone, to avoid it looking like there is an overscan issue with the OUYA menus.
(2013-07-06, 12:25)Ned Scott Wrote: I don't think any Android-based box currently supports HD audio passthrough. I think some hardware supports it, but just doesn't have the OS support.

Himedia Q5 supports it for example.
(2013-07-29, 11:50)Leema Wrote:
(2013-07-06, 12:25)Ned Scott Wrote: I don't think any Android-based box currently supports HD audio passthrough. I think some hardware supports it, but just doesn't have the OS support.

Himedia Q5 supports it for example.

Hmm, interesting. I'll pass this info along.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DTS passthrough on Ouya - not currently supported1